PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a Ruger Super Blackhawlk Hunter 44 Mag

Johnch
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
A freind is looking at a used Ruger Super Blackhawlk Hunter 44 Mag
I looked at it
The gun it self is in 99% and looks to to have been shot very little
But someone tryed to checker the laminated grips and ruined them

We going to look at it again Tue or Wen evening to take a close look at it and maybe shoot it
I will take a set of grips
We will have to see just what he can talk the gun shop down to

I have never played with one , so I don't know if there are any things to look for good or bad

Any accuracy problems you have run into ?
Any isues on cyclender length ?

Thanks

John

Stevejet
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I would suggest an effort to Google some sites which contain info on inspection of features about used guns. Many articles are published yearly in the gun magazines that offer tips on this very subject, so Google Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo or Guns to see what they contain in their sites.

As for the Ruger Blackhawk, or in your case Super Blackhawk, all things considered, the Rugers enjoy an honestly earned reputation for durability probably beyond any other single action revolver. Built like a tank because of Ruger's philosophy that a gun is, at its core, a tool.
My .357 Blackhawk (1976 Bi-Centenial issue) has had tens of thousands of lead bullets fired thru it, and to this day it shoots right to point of aim. Haven't replaced one part on it either.

Also, try CB's "Search" and "Quick Link" to find the information you desire. It may be cached in those locations. Good luck!

NSP64
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Looked at them but decided on a Ruger Super Redhawk. Just don't like ejecting cases 1 at a time. Is it new or used? Cock it several times to make sure the timing is ok and with it cocked check side to side and end play on the cylinder. I didn't find the grip comfortable and much liked the Bisley angle better. How much are they asking?

lathesmith
02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a Bisley Hunter, and I really like it. The tolerances seem a bit closer on mine than BH's I have owned in the past--nice tight B/C gap, etc. It shoots really good too, light loads to heavy, and I love the option of scope-mounting for wringing out loads and such. You can also play with different front sights easily, and I put an improved rear sight on it too. For cast boolit buffs,the barrel slugs .429 or so, and the cylinder mouths are right at .430.
lathesmith

HollandNut
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I had three , before the fire , no hunter but three SBH's .. Two I bought new in 1978 , they had over thirty thousand run thru each one , nairy a problem ..

My only issue is with a very stout load , the web of your hand may suffer a bit of abuse as it rolls back and up very hard sometimes ..

Try the half cock , if it doesnt hold at half cock , there's a fair chance someone has been fanning , or so I have been told , but that isn't really an issue as far as abuse goes ..

They are practically indestructable ..

44man
02-03-2008, 12:12 AM
What half cock???? [smilie=1:

MtGun44
02-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Depending on the age, Rugers have had some odd throat sizes. My older model
SBH has .432 throats, so it likes the GB 429421 fat mold. OTOH, my BH .45LC/
45 ACP had very tight throats that needed opening for best accy. I did not
buy the BH until I took my pin gages down and measured the cylinders. Too small
is pretty easy to fix, too big requires at minimum a special mold and sizer die,
and at some level of oversize, a new cylinder to fix. Mine was way small, and I
reamed and polished the throats out to .453" and it shoots fine now.

Before I got the fat 429421, my SBH was a mediocre shooter with cast and pretty
decent with jacketed, but not great. It shoots very well with cast as long as the
boolits are throat diam or +.001" on throat, which was impossible until I got the
ovesized mold in the GB.

I'd want to have the throats measured before I'd buy a used revolver of any type,
if I wanted an accurate pistol.

Bill

Johnch
02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
He talked the shop owner down to $200 and that included a 2-6X32 Bushnell pistol scope mounted in the factory rings and a holster
As the 3 guys that tryed it out over the week end
Ended up with bloody hands from the checkering on the grips ( back strap )

I will have to see what the bore and throat measure and then help him load up some ammo

John

twotrees
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a plain jane 44 SB Stainless witha B Square mount (Highly modified) on mine and it shoots great. Keith 240 PB with 21 gr (Old) 2400.

My wife liked it so much she now claims it as hers and bought me a Raging Bull 454. Now that is too much of a good thing.

PS> The Sb shoots better.

TwoTrees

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
like 44man suggested. New model rugers do not have a half cock position so dont think the gun is wore out if it doesnt work. the old models did have a half cock but id doubt if to many 44 mags were wore out by fanning.

hpdrifter
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
for $200, it'd be mine!!!!! The grips can be changed.

lovedogs
02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I hope you kissed that dealer. That's a heck of a deal. Almost any problem you might find should be easily fixed but the shape you described I doubt you'll have any problems. There are lots of grips you can put on 'er. Hogue makes some good ones. Put in a lighter spring kit and it'll have a nice trigger pull, also.

2 dogs
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I had to firelap mine, I also had the throats opened up for my cast bullets. Now its a tackdriver at 100 yards. Alan Harton did the work for me to include an excellent trigger job with a trigger stop.

TCLouis
02-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Scope $125
Holster $ 25
Pistol $50

I think he got ripped off.

My old super Blackhawk would consistently take out clay pigeon at 100 yards when I was plinking.

The replacement never shot well until just recently when I went to some loads/powders I have never used in the 44. Still like my Redhawk and SRH better just because they are VERY accurate!!