PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag Desert Eagle

nighthunter
09-25-2014, 11:03 PM
My son has a 44 mag DE and wants to try some coated cast bullets in it. The problem is the OAL of the loaded rounds are too long for the magazine. I was thinking perhaps 44 Special cases could be used with heavier loads to obtain a suitable length to fit the magazine. The 44 Spl loads would still have a lower pressure than the magnums. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? The coated bullets might solve the old problem of cast bullets in a Desert Eagle and lower the cost over j-word bullets.

Nighthunter

RED333
09-26-2014, 06:41 AM
As with any semi auto pistol, max OAL is the same with cast and jacketed,
you just have to find a good cast boolit for your pistol.
I do not have the pistol you have, I do have 7 Glocks, all 40S&W,
and shoot cast and coated in all of them.

reed1911
09-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I doubt you will get it to cycle with 44 special loads. After having to send mine in after clogging the ports from cast I stick to the jacketed, but I have not tried coated bullets in it. In fact, I have not tried them at all, but my thinking would go something along the lines of "...does it shear off through a muzzle brake?..." If it does than I would not run it in the DE. I don't know if it does or not, just thinking out loud and trying to save you a couple hundred bucks.

edit to add...

Th issue with DE pistols is not the polygonal rifling it is the lead plugging up the gas ports. Once done it is near on impossible to clean them enough to get back to working order and has to be sent in for a 150.00 cleaning from M.R. plus shipping cost.