PDA

View Full Version : Got my 1st mil surp, M48 Yugo, it's all your fault!!!

hc18flyer
09-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Today I stopped at my local gunshop wanting to talk about a Krag 30-40. Ended with a very nice(GREAT bore, matching #'s) M48 for a third(or less) the price. I'll just have to keep dreaming about the 30-40? I hope I can keep from getting hooked like some of you guys!

Flyer

wyrmzr
09-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Once you've removed that cosmoline, shoot it. Then shoot it some more. Slug that barrel, and cast for it. You can load surprisingly low amounts of powder behind it and it will group very well at 100 yards.
Unless you've gotten something that's truly messed up, they're very good guns, and will give you way more fun than the sticker price will indicate. This is much more true if you can cast your own boolits for it.
But be warned, you'll likely find yourself walking through your LGS, and looking for different variations. You may even want to make some modifications to one or more.

Garyshome
09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
That's it blame me, and I didn't even get a rifle!

1johnlb
09-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the addiction, Head!

OptimusPanda
09-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Milsurps do have this nasty habit of breeding once you get the first one. Before long youll wonder where all the room in your safe went. Along with all your money. :p enjoy the old girl.

Frank46
09-25-2014, 11:29 PM
The yugo M48 series of rifles has to be one of the better bargains out there. Got mine some years ago with all the goodies even the pig sticker. Frank

lefty o
09-25-2014, 11:58 PM
may as well get yourself some sort of a log book, because before long its gonna be hard to keep track of them all.

LAGS
09-26-2014, 12:59 AM
I sold off all of my Yugo 48's over the years.
All I have left is 7 Yugo 24/47's.
Don't believe the tales about 100 yard accuracy.
I guess they never tried theirs a 300 yds.
Most of mine are dead on at 300 with the right load.

Scharfschuetze
09-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Congrats on your Yugo! They really are a fine rifle. Even with the issue sights, mine is a 1 1/2 MOA rifle for 10 shots any day of the week with Sierra bullets over 4895 powder.

offshore44
09-26-2014, 01:20 PM
The Yugo Mauser's are generally good rifles, especially if they are in un-issued condition or have been well taken care of. Some are exceptional shooters. All are rock solid reliable and very sturdy.

There is lot's of information out there on their history and how to improve their accuracy. For a good overview of their history and variations, with no B.S., get a copy of Branko Bogdanovic's book, "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" ISBN 1-882391-35-7. Branko is the historian for the Zastava Arms Factory and had access to factory documents as well as a lot of the factory folks who produced, updated and maintained these rifles over the years. The book will help you sort through the internet lore to separate fact from fiction.

Two tips on accuracy: Don't set off to free float the barrel to improve accuracy. This rarely improves things and often makes matters worse. Watch the torque on the action screws, especially the front action screw.

Shoot it a lot, the actions smooth out to be glass smooth. Have fun and enjoy the new rifle!

Oh, and the stocks were never made out of Teak from the factory.

Edited to add: I agree with Scharfschuetze, heavy for caliber bullets or boolits and H4895 turn in some pretty good to spectacular groups. I used the Heavy Sierra Match Kings and full power loads with very good results. Also the Saeco 198 grn 8mm bore rider made with Lyman #2 at about 2,000 fps or a bit more with very good results.

pworley1
09-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Go ahead and start looking for another safe. You will need one just for the mausers.

curator
09-26-2014, 07:26 PM
The Yugo M48 would cost over $1000 to make today. Imagine getting a pristine, almost unfired M98 Mauser rifle in 8X57 Mauser cartridge for a mere pittance! I had mine at the range today and using cast bullet reloads shot several 1 1/2" 5-shot groups off the bench. The Plastic Swartzie-waffen-louden-boomer guys were amazed that such a primitive wood & steel gun could shoot so good. Another advantage is not having to crawl through the weeds to retrieve my brass!

Mauser48
09-28-2014, 01:28 AM
I bought a yugo m48A about 6 months ago all matching in perfect shape with a bayonet. Its a really good shooting rifle. They like the 150 grain bullets. With that bullet weight it is very consistent with the sights. Good buy! Enjoy it!

offshore44
09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
The Yugo M48 would cost over $1000 to make today. Imagine getting a pristine, almost unfired M98 Mauser rifle in 8X57 Mauser cartridge for a mere pittance! I had mine at the range today and using cast bullet reloads shot several 1 1/2" 5-shot groups off the bench. The Plastic Swartzie-waffen-louden-boomer guys were amazed that such a primitive wood & steel gun could shoot so good. Another advantage is not having to crawl through the weeds to retrieve my brass!

Zastava (Factory 44) is still making Mausers. Good quality Mausers. I haven't seen one in 8mm though. Nice rifles for a bit under $600. You're not far off on your cost-to-build estimate.

nagantguy
09-29-2014, 03:18 PM
There is still hope, Mauser's are addictive but you can be a recreational "user", do not however at any cost for any reason buy a nagant. The temptation is to great it truly is a gate way to the poor house.

aspangler
09-29-2014, 08:25 PM
ALL milsurps are addictive!

TCLouis
10-01-2014, 10:28 PM
If you can find it, try a boolit from the 175 grain GB mold pushed by 21.5 grains of 4759.

May have to play around that for you best load, but the one I had looked like the target was shot with buckshot when I bumped up to 22.5 grains of powder.

hc18flyer
10-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Which group buy? I haven't found a 175 grain bullet? Are their bores uniform, or do they vary? I do plan on slugging the chamber and bore.