PDA

View Full Version : Cheap/Improvised Ghost ring sights

Garyshome
09-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I had this cheap sight I bought from someone on e bay who advertised it as a UTG AR 15 Rear sight. It was not a UTG sight and It turned out to be useless for the ar. I got my money back through pay pal and ended up with a free sight. After poking around on line for Ghost ring sights for an Mossberg 88, and not having any money for anything like that right now I thought I might try to bone this sight out and see what would happen, so here goes.117394117395
At first I thought that I could get a rear sight out of this thing without much trouble, so I took it apart and ended up with this.
Next I needed to get rid of the threaded post, nothing the old hack saw couldn't handle
Looks pretty good!

Then I got to thinkin' about the front sight....I still had this piece left over..Hummmmmm
Out comes the Hack saw again.......117403

Continued on the next post.

Garyshome
09-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Cheap/Improvised Ghost ring sights Page 2[/B]
All right this looks good. Now I have a Little Delta sanding drum attachment that I use on my drill press that I used to round out the bottom of the front sight to fit on the Heat shield [I got the heat shield along with a mossberg pistol grip when I picked up a 18-1/2" barrell for the 88 a couple of months ago] No problem , fits like a glove.
Next I needed fasteners, I located some #4-40 screws and a tap/drill bit combo at the local supply store. Over to the drill press to drill some holes, thread the heat shield, countersink the holes on the front & rear sights, Drill a extra hole for the front sight pin..... Install A tight fitting front sight pin [I'll file it to the correct hight].
117407[B] 117408117409
I'm liking this so far!
Now for the rear sight, Remove all the stuff from inside [the receiver] and head over to the drill press again, Drill the rear hole for the rear sight, tap the hole, drill the hole in the rear sight just large enough for the screw to slide through, snug it up and drill the front hole, remove the sight and tap the front hole. Next cut the screws to the proper length, hit them with Blue lock tite and assemble.
I had to remove some material from the adjustment knob to clear the receiver, I used a file after I put a screw in the knob to spin it on the drill press.
I might drill out the rear ring a little larger, not sure yet.
Time to head out to the range and see how everything holds up.

johnson1942
09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
fancy and nice. i have silver soldered a washer to the back of a buck horn sight or silver soldered a washer into a slot cut into a dovetail filler block. their are many ways to do a ghost ring sight and they all make shooting faster and easys to get a sight picture. thanks for the post.

Garyshome
09-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Shot about 40 slugs yesterday, nothing came loose or fell off. Sighted it in without too much trouble, pretty happy with the build.