PDA

View Full Version : .44-40 case bulge

gdpudge
09-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I have been reloading .44-40 and having issuers with the case bulging at the base after being fired. I'm loading 4.5 gn of red dot with a 240 gn cast semi was cutter. I have the lee 3 die set but the sizing die doesn't size the base. Does any one know of a full length sizing die ? I've not seen that lee makes one. By the way the brass is all new starline brass too. Any ideas would be appreciated.

fouronesix
09-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Standard reloading dies will be "full length". What you may be talking about are called small base dies. The easiest way to get more sizing down toward the base of that type straight wall case is to grind a little off the base of the sizing die. All you need is a bench grinder and a steady hand. Using both hands, one to turn and the other as a guide/rest to grind a little off the rim of the die. The better way is to chuck the die in a lathe and turn a little off the base with a hand held grinder. Then, put a small chamfer on the inside of the die rim so it doesn't catch a case mouth.

Bulge near base is many times fairly normal. How much bulge? Photos? What gun?

If it's a lot of bulge then either that part of the chamber is a little large (not unusual in many older lever guns) or there is a headspace problem with the gun.

gdpudge
09-25-2014, 06:07 PM
The gun is a uberti colt saa clone. I don't have any pictures but after thinking about it I think I did it in the crimping process instead of Fire forming the bulge. I was trying to get this figured out after it has been a month and forgot about possibly over crimping. I think it's a matter of die adjustments and also I bought a factory crimp die too but still I have a few that look like they are bulged. I guess what I'm saying is it's hard for a old guy to pick up where I left off a month ago and knee replacement surgery to boot. Thank for the reply and always interested in mor input

fouronesix
09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
That makes more sense. 44-40 brass is relatively thin so bulging can happen during bullet seating or crimping. Both operations require care in running the press and adjusting the dies properly.

Proper neck expanding can help by using something like the Lyman M die. If a simple neck flaring expander like the Lee universal is over done and the flare is too great then the bullet seating die can do it during bullet seating. Also, if the bullet is fat and the neck not sufficiently expanded then the tension of the bullet as it's seated can do it.

The roll crimping shoulder in a standard bullet seater can do it- but usually that bulge forms just below the crimp. I think the Lee FCD for that cartridge is a simple sliding carbide ring and that can do it. The Lee FCD for pistol cartridges is different from the Lee FCD for rifle cartridges. Almost impossible for the collet type Lee FCD (for rifle cartridges) to do it.

L Ross
09-28-2014, 10:16 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 44-40 is the rifle style collet crimper and works splendidly and is gentle on the thin brass.

fouronesix
09-28-2014, 10:40 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 44-40 is the rifle style collet crimper and works splendidly and is gentle on the thin brass.

Good to know and thanks for the correction. I don't use Lee dies for many things and use Lyman dies plus the M die for the 44-40. I use the seater die for roll crimping for the carbines and rifles and "touch" the loaded round back into the sizer to taper crimp for revolver. Never had a problem using that system with the 44-40. But I do have several Lee collet type FCDs for rifle and they do an excellent job and are a good design. Yes, Lee classifies the 44-40 as a rifle round so their FCD for the 44-40 is rifle collet type. Their pistol types are sliding carbide ring.

For 44-40 revolver a gentle roll or taper crimp is usually adequate since it is only the recoil vs the inertia "pulling" on one bullet. A rifle or carbine with tube mag is opposite and different and may require a more aggressive crimp into the crimp groove.

Best way to check for adequate crimp for revolvers is to measure cartridge OAL, load 6, shoot 5, remove last round unfired and measure OAL. Usually with cast bullets in a revolver like the 44-40, mild crimp is better than hard crimp as long as the bullets don't "pull" from recoil.

doc1876
09-29-2014, 09:28 PM
.side note, I read somewhere to try a .44 so expander die to seat larger dia bullets. I have not had the opportunity to try it