PDA

View Full Version : Lee vs. RCBS Lube-a-Matic for first sizer.

zanemoseley
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm about to order my casting equipment and can't decide between the Lube-a-Matic or getting a cheap $30 Lee press and their sizing dies. I read the sticky about tumble lubing which I guess you'd do twice with the Lee, once before sizing and once after. The Lube-a-Matic seems slower but I'm curious if its superior in sizing and lubing to the Lee. I'll be sizing almost exclusively .45 ACP rounds and probably 5,000 per year.

Charley
09-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Using one of the liquid lubes, you don't NEED a sizer in many cases. Cast, lube, and load.

zanemoseley
09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
That's if you use a mold designed for tumble lubing correct? I heard mixed opinions on Lee's tumble lube designs so thought I might play it safe and size/lube. It would be great to skip that step though.

Tatume
09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
No, tumble lubing works with any cast bullet.

However, I recommend the RCBS lubrisizer and a high-quality lube such as LBT Soft Blue if you're going to load high performance ammo, such as 44 Magnum. I've only had good results with Lee Liquid Alox at relatively low to medium velocities.

5Shot
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I purchased a Lee push through in 35 caliber, and takes a lot of force to get the slugs through the sizer. My RCBS makes the job much easier. If you are going the Lee route, make sure your press and table are well anchored.

zanemoseley
09-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Aren't bullets not made in a TL mold designed to be resized though? From my understanding .45 acp's are considered pretty low velocity so as far as that goes I'd be ok.

tazman
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Aren't bullets not made in a TL mold designed to be resized though? From my understanding .45 acp's are considered pretty low velocity so as far as that goes I'd be ok.
I cast and load for 9mm and 38 special/357 mag. Soon to be casting/loading 30-06 rifle.
I use a lot of different designs for my pistols, both tumble lube and standard lube designs. I tumble lube them all and it works well in both cases. No leading and good accuracy. I use White Label X-lox instead of the Lee mixture.
I use Lee sizers when the boolits are large enough to require it. If the boolits are able to be loaded and go into the chamber without resizing, I usually don't resize them. I have a Lee FCD in the last stage of my turret press as a safety measure in case an overly large boolit gets by my inspection, but it rarely even touches a case let alone resizes it.
I also only lube them once. I resize, then lube.
None of this has effected either my equipment or my accuracy. Call me lazy or efficient, your choice, but this system works for me.

dudel
09-25-2014, 03:07 PM
To me, tumble lubing is like using an Instamatic (for those who remember the original point and shoot). In many cases, it will do a reasonably acceptable job given it's low cost and simplicity of operation. Heck, if you live right and own the right guns you may be able to just shoot the TL boolits unsized. Many do with decent results. It does a good job seating Hornady gas checks (at least it does for me). The nice thing about the Lee (is as always) the low price point. You can get a sizer die in most any size you want, and if you want to open it up yourself, go to it, and you're not out much if you hose it up.

Then there are times when you need a bit more. There's a special Lube you need to use for a particular application. The Lee is out unless you melt the lube and resort to cake cutters (no thanks).

I'm not sure you'll move less boolits through a Lee. The process is slower because you have to lube twice. Tip: cut the mule snot with mineral spirits 50/50, and they will dry much faster. Besides lube them in the evening, go to sleep, they will be ready for you in the morning.

Another nice feature about the Lee is it pushes from the base. No need for fancy nose profile punches (which can add up).

I started with the Lee push through sizers, and have not found a reason to move up. At least not yet. It's such a small investment, that replacing it won't be a big hurt.

dondiego
09-25-2014, 03:18 PM
You don't need to buy a separate Lee press to size with Lee dies. Just your loading press.

PS - haven't used my Lyman 450 sizer in years!

tazman
09-25-2014, 06:43 PM
You don't need to buy a separate Lee press to size with Lee dies. Just your loading press.

PS - haven't used my Lyman 450 sizer in years!

This is correct. I didn't think to mention that.
The Lee sizing dies are made to work in anybodies standard press.

zanemoseley
09-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I plan on getting a dillon 550b so I'll probably just get the cheap $30 press to use as a dedicated sizer.

Tatume
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
I have numerous Dillon presses, including two 550s and an XL 650. They are great! However, they are not the best choice for a beginner. There's a lot going on, and it is entirely too easy to make mistakes. You should learn about reloading on a single stage press, and you should put in several years with it before moving on to a progressive. I suggest an RCBS Rockchucker. I still have mine and use it regularly, whenever I want to load 50-100 rounds of ammo that I don't want to reset one of the Dillons for.

Take care, Tom

MT Chambers
09-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Don't get a cheap press (which will break) and don't dink around shaking your wife's tupperware full of bullets and lube, get proper equipment like the RCBS luber/sizer or better still, a STAR, unless you are destitute.

Tatume
09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
The Rockchucker is one of the best single stage presses on the market.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513567/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding

zanemoseley
09-25-2014, 09:20 PM
I've used a MEC grabber to load thousands of shotgun shells so I think I'm ok to jump straight to the progressive on metallic cartridges. Will the $30 Lee reloader not last if used just for sizing? I could get a used lube-o-matic, my concern is speed as it seems really slow compared to the Lee sizer.

joesig
09-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Cast some boolits a mic them to see if you even need to size.

The Lee, RCBS/Lyman and Star do different things well.

The Lee in a Rock Chucker is a good place to start. Just polish the inside of the Lee die with 400 or 600 wet dry before use.

Size, tumble lube and shoot. 5K/yr is only 100 a week. A breeze for the Lee. (or Star if you have the bullet design/deep pockets)

Mk42gunner
09-26-2014, 01:01 AM
I have an RCBS Lubamatic (filled with my version of FWFL) and a couple of Lyman 450's. One thing I can say about them is they are a bit slow, since you have to handle the boolit twice.

I also have a couple of Lee bullet sizing dies. Mine take virtually no effort to push the boolit through, the effort required depends on hardness and how much you are sizing down.

The choke point in loading home cast boolits is the sizing and lubricating for me. If I were going to try to size 5,000 all at once, I would buy a Star. If I do just enough to load I can get by with the in and out sizers I have.

Once you pick a sizing system and buy more than about 5 dies, you are pretty much locked into that system since not very many dies interchange between manufacturers; Lyman and RCBS being the two majors that interchange. There are others that I cannot remember now, but I know they were listed in a thread in the Casting Equipment section.

If I were to buy a single stage press just for using the Lee sizing dies in, and I was concerned that one of the inexpensive Lee presses would break; I would go to the next gun show and buy on of the cast iron C frame presses for under $30.00 and be done with it, as long as the press accepts the standard shell holder it will work with the Lee push rod.

Or I would go down to the powder coating section and read for a few days. If I was just starting out, mainly with handguns, I think that may be a good way to go. Of course then you don't get to play around making and trying lubes....

Good Luck

Robert

MtGun44
09-26-2014, 03:19 AM
If you will do VERY large quantities of the same design, a Star is a great
machine, but a bit fussy to set up for a new boolit design with different
diam and different number of lube grooves, and expensive to buy.

For most of us, a RCBS or Lyman lubrisizer is a good way to size and
lubricate (and seat GCs, if you use them) in one pass, and the conventional
designs with a good lube like NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue almost guarantee
no leading if the fit is good. Setup is fast, and switching boolit designs from
a single groove to multiple grooves is extremely quick, unlike the Star.

Tumble lubing is a quick and cheap way for the entry level shooter, and
the system seems to be most amenable for mild cartridges at moderate
velocities. I personally cannot stand the sticky coating it leaves all over
the boolits, and have had poor results in some cartridges. It does work
for many, but has failed for many also, it is a marginal lube system, IMO.
The biggest advantage is low cost.

I recommend a used RCBS or Lyman lubrisizer - get one and step up to
the next level, unless you are going to be regularly sizing and lubing
batches larger than 500 or 1000 of the same design at a single sitting -
this is Star territory - expensive but fast, once the fiddly setup is done.

Bill

dondiego
09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
I believe that every reloader should start out with a single stage press to learn the ins and outs of metallic cartridge assembly.

Echo
09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
I have numerous Dillon presses, including two 550s and an XL 650. They are great! However, they are not the best choice for a beginner. There's a lot going on, and it is entirely too easy to make mistakes. You should learn about reloading on a single stage press, and you should put in several years with it before moving on to a progressive. I suggest an RCBS Rockchucker. I still have mine and use it regularly, whenever I want to load 50-100 rounds of ammo that I don't want to reset one of the Dillons for.

Take care, Tom

Plus ONE! My RC is about 50 years old, and is going strong. I also have a (only one!) Dillon 550B, but do my rifle stuff on the RC. One should use a single stage press for at least a year, or 5,000 rounds, before moving up to a progressive. Understand, that's not cast in concrete. Of course, the progressive can be used as a single-stage, but temptation rears it's ugly head. I've seen instances where a beginner started with a Dillon, and the results were less than optimal.

zanemoseley
09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
When I got my MEC grabber I ran it for a while as a single stage press to get my feet wet and get a sense of whats going on in each station. I would do the same with the Dillon.

Love Life
09-26-2014, 10:40 AM
If you can tie your own shoes in the morning, then you can successfully operate a Dillon press and load quality ammo safely.

With that out of the way.... The Lee dies and press are the way to go if all you want to do is tumble lube. You can finger lube and use the Lee dies, but that is another story all together.

Some things to consider: Lee sizing dies are usually smaller in diameter than marked. Have a wooden dowel, 220, 600, and 1500 grit sand paper on hand. Lee sizing dies are also usuually machined pretty poorly and are very rough inside. Even if you do get the right diameter, I suggest pollishing with a high grit paper or paste.

The star is fast, but I couldn't sell mine fast enough. Just not worth the PIA of set up for me. I'll leave it at that.

The RCBS/Lyman/SAECO sizers are a good medium. They size your boolits, seat checks, and put lube where it is supposed to go. However; you may end up with lube on the bases and your sizer may size your boolits crooked.

I prefer the Lee set up, but I coat my pistol boolits instead of traditional lube. For rifle boolits I finger lube, add the gas check, and run through the lee.

Tatume
09-26-2014, 04:19 PM
If you can tie your own shoes in the morning, then you can successfully operate a Dillon press and load quality ammo safely.

Cute. Not true.

MT Chambers
09-26-2014, 06:22 PM

With that out of the way.... The Lee dies and press are the way to go if all you want to do is tumble lube. You can finger lube and use the Lee dies, but that is another story all together.

Some things to consider: Lee sizing dies are usually smaller in diameter than marked. Have a wooden dowel, 220, 600, and 1500 grit sand paper on hand. Lee sizing dies are also usuually machined pretty poorly and are very rough inside. Even if you do get the right diameter, I suggest pollishing with a high grit paper or paste.

The star is fast, but I couldn't sell mine fast enough. Just not worth the PIA of set up for me. I'll leave it at that.

The RCBS/Lyman/SAECO sizers are a good medium. They size your boolits, seat checks, and put lube where it is supposed to go. However; you may end up with lube on the bases and your sizer may size your boolits crooked.

I prefer the Lee set up, but I coat my pistol boolits instead of traditional lube. For rifle boolits I finger lube, add the gas check, and run through the lee.
I use the Star for all my sizing if I have the right size die, it takes me less time to set up, then with the LYman or RCBS,mainly because of the care needed not to strip the fine threads on the die retaining nut.

Bullwolf
09-26-2014, 11:03 PM
The reoccurring should I start on a progressive or a single stage press argument. It even pops up here, even when someone asks a question about a lube sizer.

My take on the issue. Most of us here are already re-loaders, and probably mechanical and skilled enough to figure out how to use a progressive press.

You tend to judge others based on your own abilities. I find myself making this mistake often as well.

When I worked for a reloading company, I worked along side many people who were definitely not re-loaders. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to "teach" a few how to reload who were not very mechanical, nor really inclined to learn how to operate the progressive reloading machines, in this case a pair of older Dillon RL1000 presses, and NOT the Ammo Load machine.

Again let me stress that many who worked at this company knew nothing about reloading, and had no interest whatsoever in learning. Both males and females who performed menial jobs like case sorting, packaging, shipping or simply gauging many thousands of rounds of loaded ammo. I learned that some people should NEVER reload at all, or operate a progressive reloading press or reloading machine while I worked for the company.

Not everyone is mechanical, or mechanically inclined. Some folks are barely capable of learning. The majority of shooters and re-loaders that I have met in my lifetime typically have shown themselves to possess a somewhat higher than usual amount of mechanical aptitude than your average person.

- Bullwolf

Mike W1
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM
I can maintain a rate of 700+ bullet/hour with my LubeAMatic II and I don't have all the feeling left in my fingers. It's a matter of setting up the thing so you don't waste a lot of movements. No I couldn't do this for 8 hours a day but I could for 3 hours easily enough. Don't know a thing about the Lee setup, as I'm happy with what I have.

My progressive is a Dillon Square Deal B. I looked at a Lee progressive a number of years ago in operation and didn't care for it. Nuff on that. However I've never been able to see the big problem using a progressive. You stick a case in place and a bullet in place and pull the handle. It just does a number of operations with one pull. The cases still go through dies as though you were doing one at a time and it certainly isn't rocket science doing that. You'd have to set up with a single stage one step at a time and you set the progressive up the same way, each stage has it's adjustment. Sure you have to pay attention but you'd better be doing that with a single stage too. Off my little soap box now!

TXGunNut
09-26-2014, 11:35 PM
For the 45acp I use a TL boolit, LLA and the Lee sizing die. Hard to beat and cheap to boot. Just use a little, folks who complain about buildup in the dies are generally using too much. My 4500's hang in the closet until I want to size a boolit for over 2000 fps or need to put SPG in the lube grooves.

Recluse
09-27-2014, 12:04 AM
I haven't lubesized a .45 caliber or .38 caliber boolit in years.

:coffee:

Leadmelter
09-27-2014, 12:15 AM
3 Lub-a matics, one Lyman 450
Leadmelter
MI

44man
09-27-2014, 08:46 AM
I get a rounder boolit with Lee dies and they are so easy to lap to the exact size I want. I hate my RCBS.
I never have enough lube to pan lube so I do a lot of finger lubing, just don't try it with CR! :veryconfu All my boolits have a flat nose so I run GC boolits through base first. Little messy but it keeps checks tight to the base.
Talking about experience, had a few here that were supposed to know but I swear the press handle moved at light speed! Took some hollering and arm waving to put a stop to that.
I taught one fella to cast but he closed the sprue plate before closing the blocks and put a nick in one cavity. I hate to stand over anyone.
It really is true that some can't chew gum and walk at the same time.
The best to watch is when a guy ladle casts and tips the mold as he tips off the ladle! Funny as all get out to see a guy pour the boolit back out.
With my experience I see why fellas here say what they do so it is not any inference to anyone's ability. Remarks come from years and years of watching and trying to teach a simple process.

10x
09-27-2014, 08:57 AM
I have a number of Lyman and RCBS lube sizers. - all from Estate sales.
I also have lee sizers and get great results.

1) Lube the bullet prior to sizing with the lee sizer - use Lee Liquid alox diluted with brake clean - do this in a well ventilated area let the lube set
2) size the bullet, much of the resistance is reduced by the lightly lubed bullet
3) Lube again with Lee Liquid alox.

Oh and use a ZiplocŪ bag to when you are lubing with Lee Liquid alox

The only time I go to the Lyman or RCBS sizers is when I can't find a Lee size die in the diameter I want.

Petrol & Powder
09-27-2014, 08:58 AM
I plan on getting a dillon 550b so I'll probably just get the cheap $30 press to use as a dedicated sizer.

Two points: 1. I think you will defeat the goal of saving money by buying second dedicated press.
2. The main advantage of sizing bullets is that it allows you to cast bullets that are slightly too big and then size them to EXACTLY the desired diameter. The lubrication in the same step is just a bonus.

I'm not a big fan of tumble lube. Yes it works and a lot of people use that method, it's just not for me.

As for the Dillon 550, it is an excellent press. It is a bit more complex than a single stage but if you are paying attention while reloading it will work just fine.

TXGunNut
09-27-2014, 09:45 AM

P&P addressed this quite well but at the risk of turning this into a single stage vs progressive thread I'd like to expand on it a bit. If you stay in this game long enough and expand into cartridges other than 45acp you'll eventually want a good single stage press. Keep an eye out for a good used one for about the same price as a cheap new one. Could use the first station and an extra head on your 550 to hold the Lee sizing die as a temporary measure. For the ultimate in savings you could skip the sizing step altogether, works for some but it hasn't worked for me-yet.
I don't see a RCBS or Lyman sizer as very useful for you at this point but if you venture into other cartridges it may come in handy. Different situations call for different processes; when situations change, like the addition of another cartridge, processes (and equipment) may need to change as well. No one process will work for all cartridges.

alamogunr
09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
I've got a Lyman 450, a RCBS LamII and a SAECO sizer. Also several Lee push thru sizers. I've had good luck with tumble lube in .38, 9mm and .45ACP without sizing. Luck of the draw that the most molds drop boolets that chamber in the guns I use. When one doesn't, I use a Lee to get it to chamber. I always use one of the other sizers for rifle boolets. I still need some additional dies for some of my milsurps that have large bores. Sizing too small is a recipe for problems.

I have no problem with those advocating a progressive press. I co-own a Dillon 550B with a friend. Most times it is more trouble than I want to bother with since we usually load different levels, pistol cartridges only. Since the Dillon is in his shop, a couple of miles away, I just stay home for a hundred or less. Also I enjoy the different steps reloading single stage. Many don't.

shoot-n-lead
09-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Lee sizers and tumble lube...has been sufficient for MANY thousands of rounds for me over years of casting and shooting. It probably is not for everyone, but it has worked great for me with all types of bullets. Just remember, when using an alox mix...a little dab will do...dry nice with no sticky.

dragon813gt
09-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Cute. Not true.

While his post was over simplified it is very true. We are all adults. It's not like you're trying to teach a kindergartner to reload ammo. There is no reason that you can't start on a progressive. Not all of us morons that can only focus on one operation at a time. I hate when people tell new reloaders that they have to start on a single stage. Everyone's skill level is different so you can't make a blanket statement like that.

As far as sizers I have them all. I tumble lube hollow base wadcutters because you can't lube them w/ a LAM. The Lee sizers are perfect for this operation. I can crank them out in record time. I have two LAM1s that I use 95% of the time. Their benefits and drawbacks have been stated already. I leisurely cranked out 100 gas checked 360200FNs this morning.

For me it's not the speed that is the drawback of LAMs. It's the pressure on my elbows. Having to use the handle twice for each bullet only aggravates the problem. Which is why I bought a Star. I tend to use only a few designs. So setup time w/ a star is of no concern. The Star is easy to automate. I'm not fully automating mine. I'm just going to use air so I don't have to pull the handle.

They all have their benefits. If you load long enough you will find a use for all of them :)

44man
09-28-2014, 09:07 AM
I have one press mounted to my bench, RCBS Big Max. Then I have a Thompson tool mount on the bench that all other stuff slips into, tighten an Allen head screw or two to hold the press. Everything from case trimmers, powder measure, Lyman turret, Lee turret, all shotgun presses. I made plates for everything I have. Best thing ever to keep the bench clear. Seconds to move from one tool to another, you guys need to look into one.

zanemoseley
09-28-2014, 05:23 PM
I think I've decide to change my plan a bit. I was looking to spend over $100 even on a used lube-a-matic plus the lube and dies. So I think I've decided to go and just get a Rock Chucker supreme to use with the Lee sizer. This will also get me loading quicker since I wasn't going to get a 550b reloader till the Spring. My step dad also wants to load .308's which would be better on the Rock Chucker I think so I can precisely load the powder by hand. RCBS also has a nice $50 rebate if you get over $300 of stuff.

Petrol & Powder
09-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Not to steer this thread even farther into the "single stage v. progressive - debate" ...but since we're already there...

I started out with a single stage press and I will always have a single stage press but I switched to a progressive press for handgun ammo years ago. I agree that a reasonably bright person that can pay attention to what he/she is doing can operate a progressive press without problems. I didn't start with a progressive due to cost but I'm certain I could have used one right out of the gate if I had that option. However, I still use single stage presses as well.
Bottom line, for a mechanically inclined person it's probably a non-issue. I think every reloader should have a decent single stage press but that is due to the versatility, not superiority, of the single stage design.

The Rock Chucker is a solid press and will give excellent service. RCBS is an excellent company and they will help get you started on your reloading adventure. Beware that the reloading/casting addiction is very subtle in its early stages :) .

I'm a big fan of RCBS and I'm going to toss in a little plug for them here. Just an option, but to save a little money this kit might be a decent place to start building your setup: http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage/Partner-8482;-Press-Reloading-Kit.aspx
Note, it does NOT include the powder measure.
The press frame is aluminum but it is every bit as functional as a cast iron press and I seriously doubt you will wear it out in your lifetime. By the time you add some dies/shell holders, etc. you'll be well over your $300 mark.

dudel
09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Could use the first station and an extra head on your 550 to hold the Lee sizing die as a temporary measure.

Thought about that as well. The push through die would mount in the toolhead; but the pusher needs a ram to mount in (one that takes shell holders). The 550b doesn't fit the bill. I suppose you could make a pusher that had a rim that matched an existing shellplate; but that would probably cost more than a single stage press. A single stage press is very usefull. You'll find more uses for that than you can imagine. Even one of the inexpensive Lee thigh masters would work well for sizing. Use it upside down, and let the sized boolits drop onto a cloth.

That said, I can't imagine doing without my RockChucker. Had it for nearly 30 years.

Petrol & Powder
09-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Another RCBS related note.

Not every "O" framed press made by RCBS is a "Rock Chucker". The Rock Chucker is a cast iron framed press. The RS5 and Partner presses are aluminum frames. The Partner will get you started but it's not my favorite design. The Reloader Special 5 ( RS5) is a very good compromise between cost and quality.

I've had a bunch of presses over the years; some iron, some aluminum. The aluminum ones can be very strong and functional presses.
Do your research first and spend your money second. You'll be happier in the end if you avoid buying on impulse.

bugkiller
09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Not sure how you roll, but if you look you can find a used lube-sizer. No need to invest full price on something to try it. If powder coating is in your future though, the Lee sizer will be fine.

zanemoseley
09-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Ordered a rock chucker, Lee sizer, Lee precision pot, rcbs 45-201-swc mold and some other goodies last night and took advantage of the $50 rebate. Still need to get about $150 of stuff next month but I have a good start.

Petrol & Powder
09-30-2014, 10:37 PM
zanemoseley - sounds like you're off to a good start. When it come to tools (like reloading stuff) I'm a big fan of buying what you need. Some things you can save money on and some times you have to pay more so you don't have to pay twice. I have a mix of reloading equipment and spent money to buy quality when it is important and saved money when it is not.

You will be well served by that mix of RCBS and Lee products.

Good Luck !

Bigslug
09-30-2014, 11:01 PM
I think I've decide to change my plan a bit. I was looking to spend over $100 even on a used lube-a-matic plus the lube and dies. So I think I've decided to go and just get a Rock Chucker supreme to use with the Lee sizer.

I can't tell you doodley-squat about tumble lubing (don't do it myself), but for your .45ACP plans, it should suffice. If you're going to crank the volume on the pressures, you'll probably want the hydraulic-pumping-through-deformation/obturation effect a solid band of sizer-applied lube gives you.

I will say that having broken a Lyman, the RCBS sizer that has replaced it seems to be a more stout, easier to use machine.

waco
10-01-2014, 12:05 AM
I have both Lee sizer dies and a couple Lyman 450's. To be honest, I use the Lyman's almost always. It's what I learned on. I really only use the tumble lube method with 45-45-10 using my RCBS 148 DEWC for .38's
I don't even size them. Just cast, lube, load, and shoot. Try both. You will learn what works best for you. Very easy to sell off what you don't want right here!

zanemoseley
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I got my equipment last week, smelted 85lb of COWW's Saturday, cast 700 boolits Sunday and resized them today. I am 100% happy with the Rock Chucker and Lee Sizer. The Rock Chucker is a beast and the Lee is amazing for the money. It sizes .452 exactly with no honing necessary. I can tell you one thing I'm really happy I went with the Rock Chucker over the cheapo Lee press for sizing. 95% of the boolits size easy but you get the occasional one that is a PITA even with the RC, I can't imagine using the entry level Lee, it would probably be broken in short order. Here's some beauties from tonight.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/zanemoseley/1006141721_resized_zpsb6582f94.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/zanemoseley/media/1006141721_resized_zpsb6582f94.jpg.html)

dragon813gt
10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
There is no way bullet sizing would break a Lee press. I'm not going to say a Rock Chucker is a bad press. But I use a Lee Classic Cast for case forming and there are some that use it for a lot more. You're going to put more stress in the press FL sizing rifle cartridges then sizing bullets will.

zanemoseley
10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Well the Lee Classic is a $100 press, the one I was looking at is about $30 and the handle is maybe 2/3 as long as the RC handle. The Lee Classic appears to be a much more substantial press than their cheapo model.

trixter
10-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I got one of these about 5 years ago when I got back into reloading, and casting (from the early 80's).

http://leeprecision.com/images/T/t-786.jpg

I use it to reload all of my 30-06 ammo and 300 Savage ammo, and to size and lube my cast 45ACP boolits (Lee TL 200 SWC), as well as my cast 223 boolits. I love it. I have the use of a Star lube Sizer that I use for the non tumble lube 45's and it is a very fine piece of equipment. I had thought about getting dies for the 30 cal stuff, but I don't shoot enough of it to justify the cost, and so far tumble lubing non tumble lube boolits has worked just fine. My take is, use the tools that work for you.

alamogunr
10-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I bought one of those last year to use in a range reloading setup. Haven't done it yet but still intend to. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't do almost anything other than swage bullets or reform difficult brass. I don't do either of those so price was the determining factor. Cheaper than Ebay.

twc1964
10-07-2014, 07:59 PM
+ 1 for powdercoating. This process is fast, easy and no messy lubes. Just cast, coat, bake and size em and you are good to go.