PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull weight/length and quality guage

mjwcaster
09-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Forgive me for not doing more research, but I have been dreaming about something for a while now and have not seen it available yet.

What I am dreaming of is a trigger pull gauge that measures the length of pull and weight of pull throughout the entire pull.

So you would end up with a graph of length vs weight showing the pull weight at each position (or the number of measurements that were realistically possible).

So it would show the length of pull and the take up (lighter wight of pull), where the trigger pull actually starts an how much more the trigger moves, any grittiness or increase of weight of pull and the length of over travel.

And if there are spikes in the trigger pull.
I have long stated that I would accept a slightly heavier trigger if it is smooth and consistent vs a lighter pull that is gritty and spikey.

All the things that we talk about when discussing trigger pull quality, but do not get documentable information on when just using a scale to measure trigger pull.

Is there anything out there commercially available like this that I just haven't found yet?

Or does it need to be invented?

And am I the only one that thinks it would be a useful information to have, especially for gun reviews.

Trying to discuss with people how some firearms have improved their triggers in the last few years is one thing that really keeps me thinking about this.

Firearms like the S&W bodyguard line that at first had horribly gritty and stagey triggers on those that I handled (at least the 38 and 380's I had my hands on) vs the newer guns that seem much better with smoother trigger pulls.

The weight may be the same, but the quality of feel and ease of shooting is much improved.

Mk42gunner
09-25-2014, 01:49 AM
I have seen a magazine article that had graphs like you are talking about; I do not remember who made the measuring equipment or if it was a spreadsheet generated graph. Maybe Lyman????

Seems like it was by Ross Seyfried, in Rifle ten or fifteen years ago.

Robert