PDA

View Full Version : disappointed need help ( part 2)

cstrickland
09-24-2014, 06:35 PM
ok I got my powder today. I got signal blue and gloss black. I just went out and tried the signal blue.

and all I have to say about my results are that JAKEC said it best " the powder just seems to jump on the bullet"

I can not say how pleased I am now. I started with eight 30 cal bullets, and literally after only about 30 seconds of swirling the bullets were totally coated. I swirled for another 30 seconds and shook up and down for about 10 seconds, and decided it wasn't gonna get any better. I then threw them in the toaster oven @400 for about 15 minutes ( which may be too hot / long ) and they flowed out really nice. Bullets are not totally glass smooth, but I am not sure they are with this process , so hopefully someone will chime in on that. I have to say they are totally covered and I think more than adequate to shoot.

I want to thank SMOKE for getting more powder out, and everyone that commented on my other thread with help and suggestions. Now I need to get some over a charge of powder and hit the range.

maybe I can get some pictures of in process and finished on next batch . Oh and by the way it is 73° and 54% humidity , so I will have to try when its raining or high humidity, but for now I have a few hundred more to coat.

el34
09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Cool beans! I'll probably try DT again just to do 225 boolits which are a bit clumsy to stand up. I have 3 Smoke powders to try.

cstrickland
09-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Cool beans! I'll probably try DT again just to do 225 boolits which are a bit clumsy to stand up. I have 3 Smoke powders to try.

as it would have it I also coated 10-15 of my.225 70 grn RN NOE 's and they turned out just as good. maybe a little better. was a pain standing them with the tweezers I have but I got it.

el34
09-24-2014, 10:18 PM
as it would have it I also coated 10-15 of my.225 70 grn RN NOE 's and they turned out just as good. maybe a little better. was a pain standing them with the tweezers I have but I got it.

?? What did you stand them on? Washer holes maybe?
A couple other folks just dumped them from the #5 onto hardware cloth and baked them laying down.

cstrickland
09-25-2014, 08:16 AM
?? What did you stand them on? Washer holes maybe?
A couple other folks just dumped them from the #5 onto hardware cloth and baked them laying down.

nope just right on the tray with NSRW on it . I pick them out of the bowl with a large pair of tweezers I got from HF, and stand them right up on the tray. Not as easy as the 30 cals, but I got it down pretty good. Now I have not done may at once. I just did 20 I think . I am going to try a tray of say 100 this weekend.

my tray has ridges running width wise, so I stack them between the ridges.

jwber
09-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Good to hear. I might have to get some of Smokes powder. I've only tried HF Red so far. Taking me 2 coats when shake and dump method to get good coverage...my patience was wearing thin trying to stand up pistol bullets in the volume I needed them (even one coat with ASBB and standing them up was marginal coverage).

If not HF ES gun will be in my future.

jakec
09-25-2014, 11:05 AM
awesome man!!! good to hear! smokes powder is the way to go. i have a hard time getting 224s to stay standing up after i put them on the tray. im gonna try just laying them down and see.

jwber get some powder from smoke. one coat and done. that hf stuff just pissed me off. i bet hf powder has turned more people away from tumblecoating than anything else.

ipijohn
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
awesome man!!! good to hear! smokes powder is the way to go. i have a hard time getting 224s to stay standing up after i put them on the tray. im gonna try just laying them down and see.

jwber get some powder from smoke. one coat and done. that hf stuff just pissed me off. i bet hf powder has turned more people away from tumblecoating than anything else.

I don't think tumble coating is HF's recommended method of application for their powder my red bottle says electrostatic?

jakec
09-25-2014, 02:13 PM
I don't think tumble coating is HF's recommended method of application for their powder my red bottle says electrostatic?
Its not. I dont think any of it is made for tumble coating though.

cstrickland
09-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Good to hear. I might have to get some of Smokes powder. I've only tried HF Red so far. Taking me 2 coats when shake and dump method to get good coverage...my patience was wearing thin trying to stand up pistol bullets in the volume I needed them (even one coat with ASBB and standing them up was marginal coverage).

If not HF ES gun will be in my future.

if you read part one of this thread I was at the same point. The new powder made a huge difference for me. I always see people recommending swirling for like 3-4 minutes, but to be honest mine were completely covered in less than one. I tried the HF red and had about the same result as you . I could get it to work, but it was marginal and definitely a two coat option. Try the Signal blue from SMOKE and as long as you follow the given procedure for ASBBDT that many have listed, then I think you will be happy with the results.

bangerjim
09-25-2014, 02:46 PM
BBDT was perfected on here and other places by a bunch of people specifically to coat small lead chunks! NOT an industry standard at all. I have never seen patio furniture, motorcycle wheels, engine carbs, and dune buggy frames "tumble" coated!!!!! :killingpc

In our little corner of the PC world.........it works. But the finish we get is not industry acceptable either. PC done the right way (ESPC) is like glass (if that is the finish the powder is engineered to produce). You would not want to buy a set of lumpy-ish finished wheel rims, would you?

The dry tumbling process creates just enough static differential between the bowl, powder, and lead to cause adherence. Not much, but just enough. That is why so many guys are having trouble with different powers in various humid climates this summer. Most of us were not doing this BBDT method a year ago! I was 100% ESPC.

If you want the technical/engineering details on why it works (and does NOT work), check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect

Note specifically the chart on the right and note the location of lead on the "+" end and plastics on the "-" end. Coating powder is mainly plastic polyester or related plastics with a binder and pigment in there. BBDT is NOT as highly predictable and repeatable as the electronic charge generated by the coronal discharge gun (ESPC) many of us use for boolit coating (and tons of other stuff around the home and shop).

All powders will work (no, not BBDT matte), some better than others. Most coating methods will work, some FAR better than others. (YES, ESPC matte).

One coat should be all you need if the method and powder you are using are optimal.

Have fun coating!:drinks:

banger

el34
09-25-2014, 03:18 PM
If you want the technical/engineering details on why it works (and does NOT work), check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect

Note specifically the chart on the right and note the location of lead on the "+" end and plastics on the "-" end.
banger

Solid info is often missing and then replaced with hopium and guessium. Good one Jim, especially the chart.

Blanco
09-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Jim always has all the information. An endless fountian of knowledge.

Smoke4320
09-25-2014, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=bangerjim;2944823]BBDT was perfected on here and other places by a bunch of people specifically to coat small lead chunks! NOT an industry standard at all. I have never seen patio furniture, motorcycle wheels, engine carbs, and dune buggy frames "tumble" coated!!!!! :killingpc

Jim I have to take exception to the Motorcycle frames not being tumble coated.. I my younger days I tumble coated several frames.. But then again the mud and blood did wash off :) :)

bangerjim
09-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Good one!!!!!!

:bigsmyl2:

banger

StromBusa
09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Jim I have to take exception to the Motorcycle frames not being tumble coated.. I my younger days I tumble coated several frames.. But then again the mud and blood did wash off :) :)[/QUOTE]

+1, I still tumble coat my dirt bike on a regular basis :-) It sticks better if you let it dry....

Smoke4320
09-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I finally gave up my Honda 300 quad racer (extremely hopped up and very fast) .. I was trail riding way too fast for a 56 year old and got to thinking being this far away from everyone else if I get hurt
probably going to find me several days too late.. so now just have a foreman 600 :) :).. It just keeps me grounded more ..