PDA

View Full Version : Ruger American Rimfire Range Report

lbaize3
09-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Recently I purchased a Ruger American rim fire rifle and mounted a new Hawke Sport HD IR 3-9x40 rifle scope using 1 inch rimfire rings in the 3/8 inch groves. I had tried the Weaver bases but they did not allow the scope enough rearward placement to allow me to get as close to the scope as I like. I took the iron sights (made of plastic) off the rifle because the rear sight, even in its folded down position, got in the way of the scope. The rifle is well made and I like the modular stock. I even bought a youth stock ($20) so my wife could enjoy shooting the rifle.

The Hawke scope is very interesting in that the cross hairs are etched on the glass and include settings for 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yards. All you are supposed to do is sight the rifle in at 50 yards and all of the other settings are then on the money. You have to sight in and leave the scope set at 9 power or the other setting are not correct. So I thought I would give it a try.

The day at the range had some very gusty winds, some in excess of 10 mph by my estimate. I used CCI Mini Mag and Remington High velocity 22 rimfire ammo to sight in and test the gun. With the wind I had difficulty in getting good groups.

This was about as well as I could get from the bench and the 100 yard target was all over the place. My pal, gbrown was there and he spotted for me as I shot at the 200 yard back stop. The bullets were dropping very close to a root we chose to shoot at.

Then as I was getting ready to put the gun away for a less windy day, the wind started ebbing and there were periods of calm. I found a box of Federal Spitfire 22LR and started shooting at a piece of concrete on the 100 yard backstop. The piece was about 3X6 inches laying on its side. Those Spitfires were hitting in the right hand corner of the concrete with amazing accuracy. I could have put a few rabbits on the table. All in all, I am very happy with this set up.

silverado
09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Nice to hear you got a good one!!! Too bad you can't reload for it :kidding: