PDA

View Full Version : Spruce problem

MBTcustom
09-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Spruce is a species of wood gents. Not a part of a mold.
Is this a auto correct thing or what?

theperfessor
09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
I think auto-correct has something to do with it. I'm using Firefox and it underlines "sprue" with a wavy red line.

I also think that a lot of folks just don't know the difference, or have never heard the word "sprue" used before. Same thing with people who don't know the difference between "spay" and "spade". Anytime someone says "spaded" as the past tense of "spay" I wonder if they have sterilized their dog by hitting the poor creature with a shovel!

Well, we can't all be spelling bee winners, and I never correct anybody else's grammar and spelling online unless it is necessary to clarify meaning, but some folks COULD try a little harder to learn to spell, especially given all the tools available to do so.

masscaster
09-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Kind of like "MOLD" & "MOULD".

; )

fishhawk
09-24-2014, 11:18 AM
OH boy the word filter would go nuts with birch! or....well you know sounds similar

Dusty Bannister
09-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Kind of like "MOLD" & "MOULD".

Personally, either one is acceptable. The most common misuse I see is "bore" and "groove".
It is a shame when high post count individuals slug the barrel of a 30 cal and announce the bore is .309 or something like that. But it is becomming accepted, so might as well get used to it...

Springfield
09-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I needed some new handles for my mould and I had a great idea "Walla!", wait, that is a town in Washington, VIOLA! no that is a large violin looking thing. Whatever, I'll use those small pieces of spruce I had laying around.....or is it lying around, chickens lay eggs... but lying is a bad thing...OOhhhmy head hurts!

MBTcustom
09-24-2014, 11:25 AM
I needed some new handles for my mould and I had a great idea "Walla!", wait, that is a town in Washington, VIOLA! no that is a large violin looking thing. Whatever, I'll use those small pieces of spruce I had laying around.....or is it lying around, chickens lay eggs... but lying is a bad thing...OOhhhmy head hurts!
You are dead to me......

LOL!

Jack Stanley
09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
I never took typing class in school but getting a computer helped to get around the keyboard a little faster . Honestly fellas , I am trying to correct my brain to write mould when that's what I mean , instead of the stuff that grows on old bread .

As a matter of fact I use white spruce to flux with and posts that need a lot of interpretation , I just move on to something easier ..... getting old I guess .

Jack

bangerjim
09-24-2014, 03:24 PM
You can lead with the lead, but leading with lead will not always cause leading leading.

What???????????????????????????????

farmerjim
09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Is it ok to hit the sprue of a mold with a moldy spruce sprue plate wacker?

Blanco
09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
You fellas got it all rong
You gotta use Yall'bonics, you kno from the Rednek dictionary

dragon813gt
09-24-2014, 03:44 PM
iPhone auto correct turns sprue into spruce. Yet another reason to jailbreak. You can have full control of auto correct. Mine is set to where I have to touch the word to change it. It's the opposite logic of how it comes out of the box.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Spruce is a species of wood gents. Not a part of a mold.
Is this a auto correct thing or what?
Yeah, I think you should to "spruce up" all these type of posts :mrgreen:

MtGun44
09-25-2014, 04:12 AM
Using "bore" when you mean "groove" is NOT 'becoming accepted'. It is technically wrong,
and a very important difference. This whole hobby is fairly technical and complicated,
and terminology is critical to understand what in the heck we are talking about.

Mold vs mould is entirely irrelevant, but bore and groove are not. "Spruce" is foolish and shows
inattention, but if only used occasionally - let it pass. If the person really doesn't seem to know,
like using it 10 times in a post - it is worth gently mentioning that the word is "sprue".

Spelling errors are entirely different from wrong technical terms.

Bill

charlie3tuna
09-25-2014, 05:46 AM
Using "bore" when you mean "groove" is NOT 'becoming accepted'. It is technically wrong,
and a very important difference. This whole hobby is fairly technical and complicated,
and terminology is critical to understand what in the heck we are talking about.

Mold vs mould is entirely irrelevant, but bore and groove are not. "Spruce" is foolish and shows
inattention, but if only used occasionally - let it pass. If the person really doesn't seem to know,
like using it 10 times in a post - it is worth gently mentioning that the word is "sprue".

Spelling errors are entirely different from wrong technical terms.

Bill

God bless you Bill. Sometimes I want to scream and cuss. You are very diplomatic and 100% correct....charlie

JWFilips
09-25-2014, 06:41 AM
After reading all this "Spruce" business:
I switched out one of my moulds sprew plates for one made of spruce! Well, lots of smoke and fire but the lead is sure clean!!! :mrgreen:

bangerjim
09-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Well, I switched out a sprue plate for a spew plate.......the spruce plate did not "cut" it. (pun intended) Now when the mouldy mold sprue spews, I can catch it before it burns the spruce boards below the mouldy mold sprue.

We must not have any "honey-do's" on the list to be rambling about this!

OMG! :awesome:

banger

masscaster
09-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately Definitions are not used in Spell Check, only the spelling of a word/words. If Definitions were used we would be having to spell battle the Spell Check every time we changed it to the intended meaning.
Knowing the proper Definition of a word as described in a Dictionary is left to the typist.
It's obvious to me that more people need to use Spell Check, whilst others need a Dictionary nearly as much.

Geppetto
09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Mold vs. Mould is just like Grey vs. Gray, and Colour vs Color.

Mold is an industry accepted spelling for a vessel that is used for the shaping and solidifying of another lower melting temperature material. So I wouldn't sweat the mold vs mould. I do cringe every time I see "Spruce Plate" however. or Zinc (zink) or Nickel (nickle) mis-spelled because I type it numerous times a day writing reports (metallurgist).

Greg

Blanco
09-25-2014, 12:57 PM
I used to be a spelling Nazi, drove me bonkers. I finally learned to let it go.
I try to be meticulous about spelling when it involves business.
When it's for fun I let my inner Rednek loose.

GP100man
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
As long as we`all know what we`s talkin `bout to heck with the spelun !!!

bangerjim
09-25-2014, 01:42 PM
The human brain is amazing:

Good example of a Brain Study: If you can read this you have a strong mind:

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!
1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17
4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N
R3AD 7H15.
PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F U C4N R34D 7H15.

Can you read it? Probably so!

banger

Harter66
09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Yep I skip over that 1 any more, it gives me a headache.

If I find that I or spell checks disagree , I find a different word. For example the bbl is 305x316. See no problem and I didn't even muck up the terms.

I think I once posted that had the red Ried bothered to read he would have read at Reed, reeds and reds. Another favorite Reading PA and Redding Ca and don't forget Main street Maine street especially when neither or both are main streets.

Harter66
09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Blanco ,
I had always heard it as the fig plucker.

I'm not the pleasant pheasant plucker
I'm the pleasant pheasant plucker's son,
I'm only pleasantly plucking pheasants,
Till the pleasant pheasant plucker comes.

beezapilot
09-25-2014, 06:48 PM
There was a S&S post with a fella talking about his "shiny boar" not that long ago... wish I'd have seen that process....

Blanco
09-26-2014, 07:02 AM
I think the Pheasant Plucker was a comedy on the BBC. There was also a guy who made a record (45rpm)
The whole song is enough to make most of you guys laugh.

PalmettoProjectiles
09-29-2014, 12:48 AM
mine are made of fir. cause im classy like that.

JWFilips
09-29-2014, 06:29 AM
mine are made of fir. cause im classy like that.

Now is that "fir" or "fur" ? :veryconfu

alamogunr
09-29-2014, 08:43 AM
I think auto-correct has something to do with it. I'm using Firefox and it underlines "sprue" with a wavy red line.

I use Firefox also. If you right click on the offending word, you are given the option of adding the correct word to the dictionary. I've done that with many casting terms and rarely see the wavy red line any more.

I don't have a solution for those who don't know "sprue" from "spruce"

USAFrox
09-29-2014, 09:38 AM
There's one thread here on the forum recently that is titled "Spruce scaring". I keep really having to fight the urge to ask him why he's frightening a tree... :-D

theperfessor
09-29-2014, 10:27 AM
I use Firefox also. If you right click on the offending word, you are given the option of adding the correct word to the dictionary. I've done that with many casting terms and rarely see the wavy red line any more.

Thanks for the tip!

Harter66
09-29-2014, 11:06 AM
There's one thread here on the forum recently that is titled "Spruce scaring". I keep really having to fight the urge to ask him why he's frightening a tree... :-D

I don't know about you, but I'm going to another part of the woods if there's fur on the fir. :)