PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hunting buddy.

Cowboy_Dan
09-24-2014, 12:21 AM
My brother and I intend to hunt whitetail this year in the vicinity of Elkhart, IN during cartridge rifle/ shotgun season. I have a smaaaal sedan and he doesn't have a car, so we were hoping to find someone with a pickup truck or something and a couple of extra seats. We haven't chosen a date yet, and I have vacation coming up, so time is not a real factor. However, I would not be able to get vacation over a Notre Dame home game weekend as I am a cook near campus and those weekends are busy. We intend to hunt from the ground, but if you're going to use a stand, we could split up and then meet back at the vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Cowboy_Dan
09-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Update:

Just looked at the Notre Dame schedule. Looks like their only away week is Thanksgiving. So no vacation hunting day. So, anyone with a truck who wants to hunt on a weekday near me and would be willing to haul around a few extra carcases could earn some gas money. We could even meet you at the hunt site. I just don't have the means to haul away the dead deer or two we hope to end the day with. Again, thanks for any forthcoming offers.

farmerjim
09-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Will a roof rack or small trailer work?

Cowboy_Dan
09-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Will a roof rack or small trailer work?

Hey, if someone offered with such it would be great. My car, however, is not equipped for either. Good ideas, though.

Silvercreek Farmer
09-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I put my deer in the trunk of my Corolla. Line it with a bit of plastic and rock on.

clintsfolly
09-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Sink and Quarter put in a cooler in the back seat. Have just tied them to the top of the car and over the rear deck. Hung them from the top hinges on a mini van back door. Any thing to get out a hunt. There always a way if you think out of the box! Clint

Djones
09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
My 1995 Buick regal trunk can hold two big smoothheads. Try not to shoot the ones with antlers, they make closing the trunk lid difficult.

pls1911
09-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Sorry in advance....
( just shoot a small deer!! )

Dr. A
09-26-2014, 02:31 PM
When I was in school I was consistently able to place 300# plus 10 pointers in the back of both a 2400 Subaru and a Honda Civic. Loaded down, but they fit nicely when cleaned and tarped.

Cowboy_Dan
09-26-2014, 02:43 PM
My 1995 Buick regal trunk can hold two big smoothheads. Try not to shoot the ones with antlers, they make closing the trunk lid difficult.

Interesting. We were planning on getting the regular firearms licenses, which by my reading require the deer to be antlered. Is there a way to get a license at about that same price for smoothheads? All we really want from the corpse is meat, not especially trophies.

Muskyhunter1
09-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Cars and hunting brings back some nice memories from my youth. Coon hounds in the trunk of my old 74 Dodge Dart. Shot a nice buck on the edge of a corn field. Took my buddies Impala car across the plowed field and put it in the trunk with the lid tied down. Step Father was not impressed. Beagles in the back seat - wow. Basically if you want to hunt you will make it happen. Good luck.

kenjuudo
09-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Interesting. We were planning on getting the regular firearms licenses, which by my reading require the deer to be antlered. Is there a way to get a license at about that same price for smoothheads? All we really want from the corpse is meat, not especially trophies.

Most Indiana counties have bonus antlerless deer permits. You have the option of online check in, making the option of checking in and immediately quartering a deer. Maybe you should make yourself more aware of the regulations before you head out.

woody1
09-29-2014, 10:52 PM
When I was in college back in the dark ages, I hauled deer several times in a VW beetle. Regards, Woody

pls1911
10-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Reminds me of a college chum from San Angelo who hunted out of a 36 horsepower '63 VW Camper Bus...you guessed it, in mil spec flat Olive Drab. It was his camp, kitchen, blind, and jeep, all in one!
With heavy mud grip tires and a silly low geared super granny first gear it would go about any where, and haul about any load....slowly, but reliably.
He would shoot out the windows or the flip top hole in the roof, and nearly always bag a very nice buck.
He would hang the carcass a day or two, then drive back to town with it hung in the lowly bus, with antlers sticking out the roof... He'd tie a 2x4 around the neck and span the flip top roof section.
Funny thing was, you'd always see a huge set of antlers poking out, even when you KNEW he shot a doe... he carried a skull cap carrying stained and polished antlers anyone would worship, "Just in case he needed 'em!!
A really funny guy.
Those were the days....

DIRT Farmer
10-02-2014, 10:02 PM
go to in.gov/fishwild
There is a three deer package, 1 buck and two does.

starmac
10-05-2014, 01:12 AM
I have always since the age of 13 owned a pickup, so never even thought of putting a deer on the roof, hood or trunk, but if your car can get you to your hunting area, I do not see it as any sort of a problem. Does Indiana have some sort of law that would keep you from quartering a deer or two up?

Bullshop Junior
10-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Man...i have a toyota Tercel, and you should see some of the things I have hauled aith that car. That thing is my fourwheel, and semi truck all in one. I have done some serious off roading in small cars. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a deer in the trunk, ON the trunk, on the roof or even the back seat.

M-Tecs
10-05-2014, 02:54 AM
With online or call in registration bone the meat out and put it in a cooler.

Whiterabbit
10-05-2014, 04:48 AM
with a cooler big enough to fit on the back seat, you can hold a quartered deer, bones in.

OBXPilgrim
10-07-2014, 05:10 PM
I remember seeing a Ford Mustang in the early 90's at a gas station with an 8 point buck strapped across the hood just south of Spartanburg, South Carolina. They tied the head to the tail with the rope passing through the open front windows. Had to get out 'dukes of hazard' style. First thought was, "guess that works", but the bad was that they hadn't even gutted it - it was mid day & in the upper 70's. Bet that was some good eatin'.