PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Lee 356-124 2C

NY_Treeguy
09-23-2014, 09:48 PM
So first time casting with a new Lee 356-124 2 cavity. Cleaned, smoked, lubed pins. The problem I'm having is it seems like sometimes the sprue is solidifying before the mold is full. Lead is plenty hot, so is the mold...some of my casts were frosted. If I trickle the lead in slowly, I can get the mold to fill completely. It almost seems like the sprue holes too small. Anything lost by opening them up a couple of thousandths?

Here is a pic of one of the underfilled casts.

silverado
09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Maybe poor ventilation if the temps are all good

melloairman
09-23-2014, 11:06 PM
So first time casting with a new Lee 356-124 2 cavity. Cleaned, smoked, lubed pins. The problem I'm having is it seems like sometimes the sprue is solidifying before the mold is full. Lead is plenty hot, so is the mold...some of my casts were frosted. If I trickle the lead in slowly, I can get the mold to fill completely. It almost seems like the sprue holes too small. Anything lost by opening them up a couple of thousandths?

Here is a pic of one of the underfilled casts.

I had a used Lee 2 cavity mold that some one enlarged the hole in the plate . It took to much pressure to open and cracked the handles . I do not use a hot plate I lay my mold on top of the pot to warm . I have had this problem when the mold and or lead are not quite hot enough . To get around it to finish warming the mold . I do not pour straight into the small portion of the hole . But pour on the large outer portion or on the plate right next to the hole and let it flow in that way . After a few fills every thing is warm enough it go . Marvin

Ben
09-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Do you have a dipper and can you " pressure pour " with a dipper ?

I'd be interested in knowing what happens with a full dipper of hot clean alloy is placed directly on the sprue hole ?

NY_Treeguy
09-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Do you have a dipper and can you " pressure pour " with a dipper ?

I'd be interested in knowing what happens with a full dipper of hot clean alloy is placed directly on the sprue hole ?

I can only cast with a dipper. I will try the "pressure pour" and see what happens.

popper
09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Use a toothpick or something to make sure all the vent lines are clear, use a sharp knife edge dragged along the top edge of the block, cavity side of course, avoid the cavity holes. Venting problem at the top. I assume the sprue plate swings freely when hot?

dkf
09-24-2014, 05:05 PM
My 6 cav 95gr mold had crappy base fill out. I concluded it was due to crappy venting especially up at the sprue plate. I broke the two top edges of the mold with a diamond hone and that helped quite a bit. I am still going to throw the mold on the mill and put some more vent lines in it once I get the chance.

MtGun44
09-25-2014, 04:08 AM
Smoking clogging vent lines? Smoking is not necessary or helpful.

Loosen the sprue plate so it swings freely to vent better.

Bill