PDA

View Full Version : CPA first time otu

Don McDowell
09-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Took the new rifle out for her maiden run. With the design of this stock 600 yds is about as close as it'll shoot.
Loaded with 81 grs of Olde Eynsford 1.5, in BACO stretched cases, rp 9 1/2 primer, .030 fiber wad, RCBS 82084 bullet lubed with NASA.
I think this thing is going to shoot if the first 15 rounds tell us anything.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/004_zpsb1b5369f.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/015_zps5981cbb9.jpg

iron brigade
09-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Nice set up Don! btw, I went out and bought another trap door:)

Don McDowell
09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks.
Nothing wrong with them trapdoors.

Gunlaker
09-23-2014, 04:54 PM
That's a nice looking rifle Don!

Chris.

dagger dog
09-23-2014, 04:55 PM
That's a beaut' hex to round and great wood to match !

Got to laugh with that Limbsaver recoil pad on it though :mrgreen: .

M-Tecs
09-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Very nice rifle. What barrel and twist?

Don McDowell
09-23-2014, 05:23 PM
That's a beaut' hex to round and great wood to match !

Got to laugh with that Limbsaver recoil pad on it though :mrgreen: .

That's not a limbsaver pad, it's a Shooters Friend slip on pad, and if you shoot just a few rounds from prone with these big guns, you'll be looking for one to put on as well.

Don McDowell
09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Very nice rifle. What barrel and twist?

The invoice says it's a Douglas #5 profile. I don't know for sure but I would imagine an 18 twist.

dagger dog
09-23-2014, 07:36 PM
That's not a limbsaver pad, it's a Shooters Friend slip on pad, and if you shoot just a few rounds from prone with these big guns, you'll be looking for one to put on as well.

Oh, I've been on that end too, at least it doesn't leave a hole !

Lead pot
09-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Hey Partner! You must be getting a little soft to be putting that ugly black stuff on that purity wood?? :)

country gent
09-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Don, That is a beautiful rifle. Group looks good to. It should be a real shooter if it like mine. Very nice rifle there. And a great performence on your part. Is it drilled and tapped for a scope also?

Don McDowell
09-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey Partner! You must be getting a little soft to be putting that ugly black stuff on that purity wood?? :)
Kurt I've still got a raspberry on my shoulder pocket from the Rocky Mtn regional, when I went two targets with the roughrider without my pad. Took about two weeks before I could even shoot sitting or off hand without some extra padding.

Don McDowell
09-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Don, That is a beautiful rifle. Group looks good to. It should be a real shooter if it like mine. Very nice rifle there. And a great performence on your part. Is it drilled and tapped for a scope also?
Thanks. Yes it's drilled and tapped for the scope, but as well as I can see the targets with these Baldwin sights, I may not mount that scope on this rifle.

Lumpy grits
09-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Tried any PP in it yet?
LG

Don McDowell
09-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Not yet.

Lumpy grits
09-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Time a waste'n--:p

Lead pot
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Kurt I've still got a raspberry on my shoulder pocket from the Rocky Mtn regional, when I went two targets with the roughrider without my pad. Took about two weeks before I could even shoot sitting or off hand without some extra padding.

:lol: I don't get the raspberries to often unless I get careless with the way I shoulder the big rifles or shooting the crescent butplate prone :) but yesterday I took about 20 shots with Calamity here in the yard and I found that my blood thinner I been on for almost a month didn't like it. It sure put some pretty colors on my shoulder :lol:

Don McDowell
09-24-2014, 09:27 PM
I shot two targets at the Rocky Mtn regional without that pad. That's 15 rounds for score x2 plus sighters. That checkered steel buttplate took it's toll...

Bullshop
09-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Don I see in your load data with this new rifle you are using NASA lube. I have to ask if you were also using NASA when you shot the nationals? When some people ask me about NASA lube they always ask why they never heard of it winning in any of the big shooting events. I would like to tell them it has. The correct answer here could win you a lifetime supply.;-):mrgreen:

Don McDowell
09-24-2014, 10:18 PM
The grease groove bullets I shot during the midrange were NASA as were the grease grooves I shot at the Rocky Mtn. Regional.
The few grease grooves I shot during the Creedmoor at Raton were BSC lubed. But the bulk of the rounds I used at the Nationals were paper patched.

Cimarron Red
09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Hey, Don,

She's a beauty! I'm guessing a 90? What's she weigh?

It was great to meet you and your wife at the Colorado State shoot!

Don McDowell
09-26-2014, 06:58 PM
RED! same here, sure look forward to the next time we cross path's.
Yup it's a 90, haven't weighed it but I'm guessing it's pretty close to 15 lbs. It just lays there and goes to sleep in the sticks, and recoil is so minimal.

We may try to make the long range match at Byers in Oct, not sure if we'll be able to pull of the sillywet at Watkins that same weekend or not.

bigted
09-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Don ... that is a really nice lookin rifle. in 45-90 ya say? at 15 lbs i bet she shoots nice. after this move back to swivelization im figurin on gettin to some shoots and meet some of ya one of these years. gotta get settled in first and make my sweety happy then maybe.

shore dew like yer new riflegun pard!

Don McDowell
09-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks Ted. It's a dream to shoot.
I'm hoping Jamison gets their brass out in a couple of weeks, and I've got 3 bullet moulds coming.. This is probably gonna get interesting if the weather stays half decent.

John Allen
09-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Don, that is a pretty gun. I am going to get a CPA one of these days. I have a hankering for one in 357 magnum for some odd reason.

Don McDowell
09-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Yup it's got some darn nice figure in the wood.

country gent
09-28-2014, 10:33 PM
I dont think Ive seen any of the CPAs with truly plain wood on them mine has beautiful figure and color and the forend and buttstock match too. A lovely rifle and they all seem to shoot very well. Don yours is a beautiful rifle and at its wieght should be a dream to shoot.

Don McDowell
09-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Yes it's real nice to shoot, it just goes to sleep in the sticks so nicely, and the recoil while noticeable, shouldn't cause much problem thru a 40 or more round match.

Cimarron Red
09-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Don,

I'm hoping to get to Watkins on Saturday. We'll see. Take care, and I do love that rifle!

Don McDowell
09-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Red, we'll be in touch, and let you know if we will make it or not.

bigted
09-30-2014, 04:17 PM
don ... is this the model that can switch barrels at will? or am i thinking of another style that the set can be loosened and twist the barrel to replace with another like cartridge chambered barrel?

Gunlaker
09-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Ted, all of the CPA rifles are set up like that, unless you tell them not to. I've heard some say that it's a bad idea to switch them back and forth a lot due to the threads stretching or wearing. I'm not sure about that, but I don't swap barrels in mine too often. I know of a guy that says he switches between rimfire and centerfire all the time and has for years without problems though.

Chris.

bigted
09-30-2014, 04:26 PM
that is AWESOME ... thanks for the heads up.

Gunlaker
09-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Yeah they are pretty neat rifles Ted. The triggers are very good, and I imagine the lock time is probably as good as you can get with a traditional exposed hammer rifle. The schuetzen models have a lightened hammer and I'm pretty sure you can order that on the other ones as well.

Don, I meant to ask you, how do you like that lever for prone shooting?

thanks,

Chris.

Don McDowell
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Chris, that lever is fine for prone shooting. As well as the thing holds off hand I wish the comb was lower so a person could use it for midrange/sillouette matches. Getting one of these in a heavy barrel , with a sillouette comb might just make a dandy do all rifle..

Chill Wills
09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Don, not only are they switch barrel rifles but they can be switch stock rifles. Some schuetzen shooters use one CPA action and barrel and go from a bench rest stock and forearm to the much different offhand Swiss butt and palmrest forearm. They do this during the match between match sets. It's quick and easy. So, You could have a midrange/silhouette butt made up.

Or, maybe just put a taller front sight on for silhouette. Like the tallest Lyman 17a just to see if it is something you like.

Just some thoughts..............-Michael Rix

Don McDowell
09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Michael, I have thought of all those options, but for the time being I think I'll leave the gun just as it is. It shoots great, it has a bit of sentimental value, and I do have a batch of other rifles that will shoot the close range stuff. Sort of really like the thoughts of a purely long range gun.
Plus I do know where there is a sillouette rifle in 4082 that might be a prime candidate to also receive a 22 barrel... Just need the ship to come in and not sink before it gets to the dock.

Chill Wills
09-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Michael, I have thought of all those options, but for the time being I think I'll leave the gun just as it is. It shoots great, it has a bit of sentimental value, and I do have a batch of other rifles that will shoot the close range stuff.

well, that right there is reason enough and makes sense to me. What a nice prize! what great memories.
If the creek don't rise maybe we will shoot a match or two before winter.

Gunlaker
09-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Don. Michael, I wonder if you'd have bedding issues switching the buttstock back and forth?

I see that there is a nice CPA set up that way on the Arizona Sharpshooters web site. It's left handed like me, but I won't be buying it as I have a heavy bench ( schuetzen ) rifle coming from them pretty soon.

Chris.

Don McDowell
09-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Micheal we are hoping to be down next week? Weather and all cooperating