PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy and barrel liners?

andym79
09-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi guys I am looking at buying a rifle that has had a liner fitted!

Can a lined barrel approach the accuracy that replacing the barrel would achieve or are lined barrel inherently less accurate.

I guess some of it would depend on how well the liner is fitted!
If it helps the rifle in question is an 1892 in 32-20!

Dan Cash
09-23-2014, 08:49 AM
It depends upon how well the liner is fitted and, of course bore/chamber relationship. John Taylor relined my 1900 vintage M1895 Winchester in .30-40. The result is at least as good as the rifle could do the day it left the factory. Pictures are 100 yard shots from a rest with paper patched cast bullets.

andym79
09-23-2014, 04:44 PM
I guess so, a lot of it will also come down to if there are air gaps in the epoxy or solder.

osteodoc08
09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
My 1886 45/90 was lined professionally back in the 80's. It shoots just as well as all my other lever guns which says something

rockrat
09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
I had a 25-20 1892 win relined in the 70's by VM Star(r?). Probably shot better then, than when new.

John Boy
09-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Can a lined barrel approach the accuracy that replacing the barrel would achieve or are lined barrel inherently less accurate.Might want to ask to shoot some rounds through before you buy ... 100yds would be a good distance

country gent
09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
A properly done lined barrel is van be very accurate depends on alot of things more so than a rebarrel in some ways. A rebarrel depends on accurate fitting and a quality blank to start with, an accurately cut chamber true and centered. along with proper fitting of it. A reline also depends on quality of the liner Accuracy of the drilled holes trueness,center and being straight. A properly relined barrel dosnt show when done and is very good. getting a solid even layer of bonding agent the length is tricky but not impossible. The longer cure epoxies would be helpfull here. An oven would be a big plus if soldering as a set temp and very even temps can be maintaiined from end to end. With even flux and a few hours soaking you could touch solder to one end and see it at the other insureing a even layer. If they are letting you know its relined ahead of the sale is a good sighn.

TXGunNut
09-24-2014, 10:54 PM
I've heard that a properly relined bbl may be a bit stiffer and more accurate than the original bbl. I hope so, I have a sweet old 32-20 92 with a sewer pipe for a bore. I see a liner in her future.

OverMax
09-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Before you install a barrel liner. Try paper patching your bullets. Not because their more accurate. But because their known to clean up a dark bore

ajjohns
09-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Took a chance on one from a previous owner in 38wcf. It shoots as good as I can at 50yds, but I don't know if the chamber was cut so great. I notice the neck moves up the brass after firing (something I know happens with this round in some rifles) but I've had a couple cases split. Winchester factory rounds tried so far. But as stated before, it sure shoots nice.

KCSO
09-25-2014, 09:10 AM
According to the british lines barrels are MORE accurate. Many ties they shot a 22 Martini a while and then relined the barrel claiming that they got BETTER accuracy. I know that I guarentee that my relined barrels will shot as well or better than the original barrel.

Bullshop
09-25-2014, 10:59 AM
I am glad this subject came up. The reason is that I have wondered if lining a Marlin 45/70 to 219 Zipper would be a viable way to have a 219 that I might be able to afford and that would shoot as well as an original.
Why on a 45/70? Because the original Marlin 219s used a heavier than standard barrel contour close to that of a 45/70.
I have lusted for a Marlin 219 Zipper for a very long time but there is no way I could afford an original. I believe a reline will be far less expensive than a re barrel because there are so many machining steps to re barreling a Marlin the cost will be very high if you can find a smith that will do one.

TXGunNut
09-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Before you install a barrel liner. Try paper patching your bullets. Not because their more accurate. But because their known to clean up a dark bore

If you're referring to my 92 it's not dark, it's badly pitted. Figure she saw some corrosive primers about 80 years ago.

John Taylor
09-28-2014, 02:03 PM
I am glad this subject came up. The reason is that I have wondered if lining a Marlin 45/70 to 219 Zipper would be a viable way to have a 219 that I might be able to afford and that would shoot as well as an original.
Why on a 45/70? Because the original Marlin 219s used a heavier than standard barrel contour close to that of a 45/70.
I have lusted for a Marlin 219 Zipper for a very long time but there is no way I could afford an original. I believe a reline will be far less expensive than a re barrel because there are so many machining steps to re barreling a Marlin the cost will be very high if you can find a smith that will do one.

Rim size is wrong.

John Taylor
09-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Took a chance on one from a previous owner in 38wcf. It shoots as good as I can at 50yds, but I don't know if the chamber was cut so great. I notice the neck moves up the brass after firing (something I know happens with this round in some rifles) but I've had a couple cases split. Winchester factory rounds tried so far. But as stated before, it sure shoots nice.

38-40 and 44-40 did not have standard chambers, everyone made what they thought best. New reamers have been standardized with most companies using the same specs. All factory ammo is loaded with the shoulder about in the middle and the case will fire form to fit whatever chamber it is in. When reloading don't push the shoulder back.