PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 86 in .33 Win.

Ballard
09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Is anyone shooting an '86 in .33 Win.? I'd love to hear what you've learned.

ccs47
09-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I've learned that .33 brass is expensive! It can be formed from .45-70 brass, but is easier to form it from my .40-65 brass.
Also, my '86 was made prior to the introduction of the .33 Win round and therefore (unfortunately) had the original .45-70 barrel replaced. Can't offer much more since I've only shot one or two rounds thru it since I got it several months ago.

bgmkithaca
09-22-2014, 09:31 PM
40-65 brass is not cheap either-the most economic way I found is to use 45-70 brass ran into a 40-65 sizing die then a 33 win. sizing die.Jacketed bullets are tough to come by but Buffalo arms does a run of them from time-to-time but are out of stock at the moment.I have found that cast gives pretty good service for target and hunting uses however. Forgot to mention that forming cases will be a lot easier if you anneal them first.

onceabull
09-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Used mine for 4-5 years until an offer came at a level 3x what I'd paid.. used either cast or Hawk bullets-.. Turns out that I haven't found an equal at (or near) what I took,so now all I have is the memories) It was also a factory rebarrel,and so marked,but I did not send for info on what it was originally.. Onceabull

Rick B
09-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Cases can be made from 45-70. Chambers tend to be big in the back, if you have an assortment of cases new or once fired, measure them just forward of the rim. Use the largest diameter. I had a lot of Winchester that measured .502. I anneal the case necks, run them through a 40-65 W full length die then use the case forming dies. Mike Venturino wrote a good article a while back, he stated that he had issues shooting his rifle until he used 4350 with a 200 grain bullet. Hornady made a good flat pointed 200 gr bullet, if watch boxes show up for sale. Tom at Accurate molds has a real nice 220 gr mold in his catalog
Rick

fouronesix
09-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Is anyone shooting an '86 in .33 Win.? I'd love to hear what you've learned.

Have had two 86s in 33 Win for quite a few years. The 33W being classified as obsolete for a long time doesn't help with brass. I was able to grab a bunch of Hornady 200 gr jbullets when still available as NOS.

I use reformed 45-70 brass and it does fine. Both my 86s have good bores and the 33 Win seems to be an excellent cartridge. I primarily shoot gas checked 200 gr cast over medium load of 4895. Working up jbullet and cast loads for accuracy in both rifles was very easy. Both rifles are capable of giving 1/2"-3/4" groups @ 50 yards.

Teddo
09-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Just a thought but could 348 brass be used, theoretically its in the same family though still a orphan and still hard to find.....Teddo

bob208
09-25-2014, 07:49 PM
no 348 would not work. 348 was made by knecking down .50-100 brass. the base is way too big.

i have a 86 special order. pencial barrel, button mag, takedown, pistol grip, xxx wood, checkered lyman peep sight that has the long arm on the side of the receiver. never got around to shooting it. but now that i am retired.

Chill Wills
09-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Brent, The 33 Win. is, as you know, something of a 30 WCF with muscles. If you are intending to use it mostly for the lever rifle silhouette matches the 26" barrel-full mag rifle is much better than the more available rapid taper-light weight half mag version. The latter is the better carry around all day hunting rifle.

For offhand target shooting the slightly muzzle heavy rifle length barrel with full magazine seams to hold better.
Case forming can be successful as described above but lube dents in the shoulder/neck areas are often encountered. Annealing is a very good idea.

I have the rcbs 2-die case forming set that makes 33Win cases easily in two steps. I got carried away and made too many of them a few decades back and now have a lifetime supply of 33 cases. Let me know if you want to barrow the case forming set. They make it easy.

I have two versions of the Lyman standard bullet mold, the mold number I don't remember with out looking. One is the standard flat nose and the other is a hollow nose version of the same bullet. They are just OK but the RCBS bullet is the one to have. Listed as a 200gr it casts at 215 in both moulds I had. I am down to one now. Driven to velocities similar to cast bullets in the 30-30 Win but with 45 grains more weight, Rams fall with ease. The nearer targets can be loaded lighter for savings on recoil and powder.

Jeff Michel
09-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Saw it's brother yesterday in the LGS, straight grip, no checkering, shotgun butt. Immaculate condition. I would of liked to take it home but the 6500.00 price slowed me down a bunch. He also has a 38/56 full octagon, crescent butt. clean, nice bore. Two hundred less than the .33. Let that one get away too.

no 348 would not work. 348 was made by knecking down .50-100 brass. the base is way too big.

i have a 86 special order. pencial barrel, button mag, takedown, pistol grip, xxx wood, checkered lyman peep sight that has the long arm on the side of the receiver. never got around to shooting it. but now that i am retired.

Ballard
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Chill Wills:

I'd love to borrow the forming dies and make up some cases. Thanks