PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

bigarm
09-22-2014, 12:21 PM
I bought an RCBS Partner press specifically to use for push through Lee type sizing dies for cast bullets. I then had a gentleman in Missoula make me dies. My problem is this: I can not get the bullet punch to go in ram on the press. I also have a 40 s&w shell holder (Hornady) and can not get that to go into the press. My understanding is that the bullet punch should just go in the ram to push bullet through. Is that correct? I called RCBS and the friendly person that helped me said that their presses wouldn't work with such dies. I thought that the dies should work with any press with shell holders. Am I wrong on that? As to the Hornady shell holder not going in, they are going to send me out one of theirs for free. That is very nice of them and I really appreciate the service, but I am thinking that is not going to solve my problem. Any ideas or input on this?

petroid
09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
When you get the RCBS shell holder and it won't fit either, you can send the press and shell holder back to RCBS and they can fix it. Sounds like an out of spec machining job on the shell holder slot. All modern shell holders should fit all modern style presses and the Lee push through punches should fit as well.

EDG
09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Surely you have other shell holders you can try in that ram?

It might be an out of tolerance ram but the other non-factory gadgets might be at fault too.
Your should be able to isolate a problem this simple.

I have seen new presses that are difficult to get a shell holder in the first few times it is used.

dudel
09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Might check for a burr on the ram slot. I had one press (Lee) where there was machining debris in the slot that kept shell holders from slotting in. Cleaned it up, polished it a bit, and shell holders worked fine after that.

Where is it binding? Does it get partway in? Will it seat fully if you rotate it into the slot? I've had some that took some tricks when new.

bigarm
09-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Surely you have other shell holders you can try in that ram?

It might be an out of tolerance ram but the other non-factory gadgets might be at fault too.
Your should be able to isolate a problem this simple.

I have seen new presses that are difficult to get a shell holder in the first few times it is used.

Actually I don't have other shell holders. This is my first reloading press other than my Dillon 550's. I only bought it for sizing cast bullets and possibly resizing 223 brass.

bigarm
09-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Might check for a burr on the ram slot. I had one press (Lee) where there was machining debris in the slot that kept shell holders from slotting in. Cleaned it up, polished it a bit, and shell holders worked fine after that.

Where is it binding? Does it get partway in? Will it seat fully if you rotate it into the slot? I've had some that took some tricks when new.

The shell holder will go in only just a bit. No way to rotate it as it won't go in far enough for that. I will look for debris tomorrow. That is a good idea.

zuke
09-23-2014, 06:52 AM
That's what happen's when it's farmed out to china

EDG
09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Really?
Have you ever been to a machine shop in China?

That's what happen's when it's farmed out to china

r1kk1
09-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Zuke,

Once again I will post two things that disproves your statement.

and a reply email from RCBS:

There is no truth to that statement. Our presses are all made in the US.

Technical Services Representative/ap
ATk/RCBS
605 Oro Dam Blvd.
Oroville, Ca 95965
(800) 379-1732 (tel:%28800%29%20379-1732)

None of my presses are made in China. Only one is cast steel, three cast iron while two others are aluminum. All made here in the U.S. Only one of them is a Lee hand press and I've had to prove to others that it is not pot metal but aluminum. A simple email to Lee revealed the answer.

Take care,

r1kk1

jmort
09-24-2014, 09:06 PM
For a time, RCBS was using castings for their presses that were made in china. No surprise, but their electronic products are made from parts made in china. RCBS is no stranger to china.

bigarm
09-24-2014, 09:23 PM
I got the punches for the sizing dies to go in today, but still can not get the hornady shell plate to go in. Guess I will just wait and see if the shell holder they send me will go in. Probably will use this press mainly for cast bullet sizing, but it would be nice to be able to size brass in it.

r1kk1
09-24-2014, 09:25 PM
For a time, RCBS was using castings for their presses that were made in china. No surprise, but their electronic products are made from parts made in china. RCBS is no stranger to china.

jmortimer, I asked RCBS if they did or ever did on the phone. I then asked them to send me an email stating so. RCBS did tell me if they ever made the Big Max press again it would cost around 700.00 to produce. What prompted me was the topic was on several forums. It's the same kind of stuff I ran into when people said Lee presses were pot metal. I posted the response and still people doubted it.

I do agree with the electronic thing. Everything it seems is made overseas dealing with electronics. Sad state of affairs as the U.S. Is more of a consumer nation that a producer. Jmortimer, the very thing electronic I've looked at seems to be made in the Far East. I wonder if Festool uses Asian parts for their electronics?

apologies for the thread drift to the OP. I would call RCBS. I have one press where SHELLHOLDERS need a good nudge to seat on the ram. A good nudge to extract it too, and more so when the press was new. My thumb was sore from switching shellholders until it "broke in".

Take care

r1kk1

seagiant
09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi,
I wouldn't get hung up on what is and what is not made in China! Our "leaders" in Washington have sold us down the river 20 years ago and we are now reaping what they have sown!