PDA

View Full Version : H&R Hopper M48 barrel Vs. H&R current SB1 barrel question

kywoodwrkr
09-22-2014, 11:42 AM
If you have experience with the two barrels how does the M48 interface with the SB1 and/or SB2 for the matter.
Have a M48 barrel which I have no use for and am wondering about using it as base for a good 'stubbin'.
Are there any interface problems anyone is aware of? ie narrower tang area, difference in 'innerds' etc?
Thanks.
Should have added this barrel is being considered as it has no fore arm post anymore.

nekshot
09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
I might be misunderstanding your question but if you mean the topper vs the rifle action it wont work.

kywoodwrkr
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Besides the spelling error(hopper-guess I was thinking of the rabbit outside the front door this morning!) I probably didn't express my question well.
Have a M48 barrel and was wondering if anyone had installed a M48 barrel on the current crop of actions, SB1 in particular but SB2 is supposed to be same dimensions I think.
Thanks.

jeepmann1
09-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Check the barrel lockup on the action you want to use,it may have to be fitted. It will be fine for a low pressure round. There is a ton of information in the Handi rifle section of Graybeard Outdoors forum
George

kywoodwrkr
09-22-2014, 11:19 PM
nekshot, jeepmann1,
Thanks for your responses.
Friend brought his SB1 410 over and we did some 'fitting'.
The M48 barrel would fit into the SB1 receiver with about same side wiggle as the 410 barrel.
However lockup was weak and sloppy. Noticeable movement in vertical direction as well as horizontal
Looked as if the barrel lug had been worked on in it's previous life - ie looked like it had been filed on.
Not going to spend time with it.
May spend time on creating my own stub out of some 4140 I have access to and use the internal parts of this barrel in it.
Again, thanks

leftiye
09-23-2014, 05:24 AM
You're right. If the lockup won't lock, then it can be filed or ground to lock up properly. If it's loose, 'taint good. Can't cut some metal back on, but you can build it up with a tig or mig, and file it down again. The buildup would be soft though unless you use a special rod/wire. Side wiggle - put a spot of weld on both sides of the underlug and file until action closes.

bubba.50
09-23-2014, 02:08 PM
sometimes you can get by with just shimmin' them a bit if the fit's not too sloppy.