PDA

View Full Version : Large pistol primers or large rifle primers for a 44-40

Neo
09-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Hi I recently bought a Rossi Mod 92 in 44-40 and I will be reloading the ammo for this rifle and I am wandering if I am able to use large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers as it is more difficult to get the LP primers so is there a difference in them. :confused:

NSB
09-22-2014, 05:47 AM
They are dimensionally different and should not be substituted. Small rifle and small pistol are the same size but even those should not be switched with few exceptions. Large pistol primers are thinner than large rifle and can, and will, puncture and can be hazardous due to the pressure differences in the cartridge they are being used in. Don't do it.

Alan in Vermont
09-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Large pistol primers are thinner than large rifle and can, and will, puncture and can be hazardous due to the pressure differences in the cartridge they are being used in. Don't do it.

Did you even read the OP? He's talking 44-40, a handgun cartridge, with the proper primer pocket size for LP primers. Additionally, the 44-40 is low pressure compared to some of the newer handgun rounds. LP primers hold 44 Mag and stouter pressures, why would you caution against using them in 44-40?

marvelshooter
09-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Deleted. I mistakenly thought the the OP was asking about using LP primers in a case designed for LR primers. Using LR primers in a LP case is of course a bad idea.

HATCH
09-22-2014, 07:34 AM
treat 44/40 as you would a 44sp or 44 mag.
Standard large pistol

Dan Cash
09-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Did you even read the OP? He's talking 44-40, a handgun cartridge, with the proper primer pocket size for LP primers. Additionally, the 44-40 is low pressure compared to some of the newer handgun rounds. LP primers hold 44 Mag and stouter pressures, why would you caution against using them in 44-40?

I am not a .44-40 shooter however, I think .44-40 brass is made to accept large pistol primers. Large rifle primers are taller and when seated in a case designed for large pistol primers, stand proud of the head and likely will bind the cylinder in a revolver. In an autoloading cartridge, the chance of a slam fire is very high with very undesireable results. Further, Large Rifle primers are more energetic than their large pistol cousins and will dramatically raise pressure.

Using a Large Pistol primer in a case intended for Large Rifle primers will, in time, peen the breech face causing damage around the firing pin hole. The shorter pistol primer, upon firing, slams back with great velocity until it is stopped by the breech. In high pressure ammunition, the chance of a blown primer is also present as previously stated.

Outpost75
09-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I have new Starline .44-40 brass. Large rifle primers cannot be seated flush to the case head without crushing the primer, which is ABSOLUTELY NOT recommended!

Even in Winchester '92 loads, the .44-40 is, comparatively, a "mild" pressure cartridge compared to modern, high intensity rounds like the .44 Remington Magnum. Using rifle primers in the .44-40 is neither necessary nor recommended. The primer pockets of current Starline brass are dimensioned to accept large PISTOL primers and those are what you should use.

NSB
09-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes, I did read the OP. Did you? He asked if he could interchange large rifle with large pistol primers and I told him they were dimensionally different. Apparently you didn't know that.

bob208
09-22-2014, 09:45 AM
all the reloading manuals say large pistol. so i would say that is want is to be used.

M-Tecs
09-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi I recently bought a Rossi Mod 92 in 44-40 and I will be reloading the ammo for this rifle and I am wandering if I am able to use large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers as it is more difficult to get the LP primers so is there a difference in them. :confused:

The book answer is no. As stated LR are taller than LP. Can it be done and is it done frequently? Yes.

Some pistol primer pockets are deep enough that you can seat LR without being proud. Most will not but the LR primer can be crushed to be flush. Do I recommend it if LP are available no. Would I do it if LP are truly unavailable. Probably with the understanding that pressures may increase along with increased FTF's.

ReloaderFred
09-22-2014, 11:03 AM
The round and the rifle are intended to be used with large pistol primers, so that's what you need to use.

Hope this helps.

Fred

doc1876
09-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Ditto, LP only!

Savvy Jack
03-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Yes, I did read the OP. Did you? He asked if he could interchange large rifle with large pistol primers and I told him they were dimensionally different. Apparently you didn't know that.

He also fails to understand that the 44-40 is a Rifle cartridge. Two reputable places describe it as such.
1. Wikipedia -
A rifle cartridge is a cartridge primarily designed and intended for use in a rifle or carbine.
2. ANSI/SAAMI - 44-40 is listed under Centerfire Rifle not Centerfire Pistol& Revolver.

I also load my 44-40 cartridges with rifle powders, predominantly Reloder 7

john.k
03-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Some 44/40 cases are meant to be loaded with pistol primers,some with rifle primers.......if you load pistol primer cases with LR primers they will protrude from the case ,and may fire as the bolt is closed......In my gun,the bolt wont close on LR primers in WW 44/40 cases..You can load pistol primers in rifle primer cases ,provided the firing pin protrusion is sufficient to fire them.

earlmck
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I have WW, R-P, and Starline 44/40 brass accumulated over the past many years. My brass all takes CCI 200 (large rifle) primers just fine and that is what I have always used. What planet are you guys on? On this planet the 44/40 is a rifle cartridge, that also gets used in revolvers occasionally. And yeah, I have used LP primers on occasion when I was playing around with loads (you'd have to have an awful short firing pin to have any trouble with LP primers), but the LR's fit just fine.

veeman
03-02-2018, 11:47 AM
I always use large pistol primers, cuz thats what the book says to use.

robg
03-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Large pistol primers as rifle primers are taller and will not sit below the case head .

bob208
03-02-2018, 04:54 PM
does no one own or read loading manuals ? all of mine say use large pistol.

Hootmix
03-02-2018, 06:30 PM
I read the OP's question..got me to thing ( not something I like to do ),just loaded 50 rds. of 44/40 , cleaned and prepped ,neck sized ,primed ,loaded 7.1 grs. TB,,seated 200gr. rnfp bullets ( pause ) YEP ! went and cked. primer's and printed in BIG letters on the CCI box...Large Rifle !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwww ( bumping head on loading bench ) heckie darn,,,DON"T BE IN A HURRY..had to pull all bullets,( dispose of primers - don't trust them now!! ) pour out powder-deprime- go'n wait till I am having a better day. THANK YOU for your question,,"Point"----on any given day we can all make mistakes .

go'n for coffee ,,,,Hootmix.

earlmck
03-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Neo me lad, you're just gonna' have to try a Large Rifle primer in YOUR brass and see if it fits to below flush like it otta'.

I've been loading these things for 30 years with at least three different brands of brass and they all take Large Rifle primers just fine and that is what I have mostly used.

The guys are right in that a) the loading books seem to call for Large Pistol and b) if they really mean it you don't want to use the large rifle primers because they wouldn't seat deep enough and would give you high primers.

But all my brass is made to take the large rifle primer if you so desire. I had no idea there might be some brass out there that is not made to take the rifle primer, and if that is true (I'm doubting it but who knows?) you will need to try for yourself.

Nifty cartridge -- have some fun with it.

duckdup
03-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Starline Brass calls for LP...

"It has come to our attention that some Uberti revolvers have issues with light hammer strikes and will only fire with Federal primers, which we generally recommend for revolvers anyway."

Savvy Jack
03-12-2018, 11:17 AM
I use LP's in my firearms and RPs in my test barrel. If one is not careful and fails to check the primer pockets, a dirty primer pocket can cause the RP to not seat all the way and protrude out enough to cause a case to bind against the recoil plate in a revolver. I use the RP's in my test barrel because my firing pin is not quit as long as it needs to be if I fail to adjust the barrel properly against the recoil plate.

sass2924
03-18-2018, 01:18 AM
Yep, large pistol.

Harry O
03-20-2018, 07:33 PM
I reload the 38-40 and 44-40. I use large pistol in both since both are loaded with light loads with easy to ignite powder for CAS. I just loaded 200 38-40's for CAS late last week. Because of this thread, I checked what was going on with mine.

With the large pistol primer, the face of the primer is BELOW the face of the rim -- very slightly. It has never caused a failure to fire or any other problem since my CAS guns have big, long, beefy firing pins. It might be a problem with a frame mounted firing pin, but I don't have any to try that. I tried one case with a large rifle primer. The face of the primer was flush with the face of the rim. It seems to me both can be used, depending on the pressure of the load.

I do have some 44-40's that I purposely loaded for other than CAS. They are much higher pressure than factory loads. I did use large rifle primers on those. Again, I had no problems with firing them. BTW, I used some of the 38-40's I loaded last week to check the sights on my primary CAS rifle. It was still set up perfectly. It is an old Uberti 1873 Winchester clone I have had for about 20 years or so and it has been the most trouble free gun of any type I have ever owned. Other than a few springs I replaced when I first got it (to make it easier to use), it had never had any problems of any kind.

Texas by God
03-22-2018, 10:55 PM
I have loaded .44-40 with both types, adjust the charge weight down for RP.
I don't know why I wrote .45 ACP first. Cerebral flatulence, perhaps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Four Fingers of Death
11-17-2018, 08:21 PM

Well Neo, How'd it go? I have never had any trouble getting LP primers in Bathurst, Australia, but I suppose small shops in remote areas mightn't be so accommodating. Where are you at?

Outpost75
11-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Large rifle primers have a greater cup height and will stand "proud" in .44-40 brass unless you use a primer pocket uniformer to increase the depth of the primer pocket so that rifle primers can be seated flush with the case head.

Large pistol is the correct size to use in .44-40 and .44 Magnum brass.

Outpost75
11-17-2018, 11:47 PM
NO! ...... Same answer as before ------measure the dang things before you open fire on this --44/40 primer pocket measures for rifle primers 44 mag measures for pistol primers - unless all commercial manufactured 44/40 brass has been changed from rifle to pistol in the last three years

This from Starline web site: https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/44-40-Brass/

Starline Brass > 44-40
44-40 Brass (Large Pistol primer)
44-40 Winchester Brass, 44-40 Win Brass, 44 Win Brass, 44-40WCF Brass, 44 Winchester Brass, 44-40 Marlin Brass
1.294 - 1.300 O.A.L.

Also known as the .44-40 Winchester, .44 WCF, and .44 Winchester, this caliber gained popularity because of its availability in both rifles and handguns. The advent of Cowboy Action Shooting has helped to revive this obsolete vintage cartridge. Our .44-40 brass has a wall thickness of .0065" but is still stiffer and less fragile than other brands, which makes it much easier to reload.

*It has come to our attention that some Uberti revolvers have issues with light hammer strikes and will only fire with Federal primers, which we generally recommend for revolvers anyway.

georgerkahn
11-18-2018, 08:32 AM
I am a believer/practicer of using the INTENDED primer for whichever caliber I'm loading! NOT having a ballistics lab, a zillion dollars worth of test equipment, and of most importance the smarts to use it had I have it ;) -- I rely upon printed in book provided data. Included warning in several is the admonition to not swap designated primer size -- e.g., magnums for regular -- and in a few cases they are brand specific.
SAAMI specs for primer pocket are:
SAAMI Specs. primer pockets:
Small Rifle/Pistol : .118" to .122"
Large Rifle: .128" to .132"
Large Pistol: .118" to .122"

I concur with, and cannot agree more with poster #2 (NSB)'s sentiments, and will quote his final words: Don't do it."

Savvy Jack
11-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Doesn't take a zillion dollars to test some things. Just because it is written, doesn't make it a Bible. Just because people say it, doesn't mean they know what the hell they are talking about. Just because someone has been handloading for 50 years doesn't mean they know what the hell they are doing...it just means they have been doing it wrong for 50 years.

Don't ever take my take my word for it.....I have no idea what I am doing....and there is a reason I don't gamble....go look for yourself, research and ask questions.

Below are two brand new Starline cases. Look at the primers and tell me which one has the CCI-200 rifle primer and which one has the CCI-300 large pistol primer. Maybe neither, but tell me which one is more likely to have troubles in a rifle mag tube or get locked up in a revolver.

CCI-200 Rifle Primer = .1275" Length
CCI-300 Large Pistol = .1205" Length

Also, below are two brand new Winchester cases. Guess which

Winchester brass with CCI-200 rifle primer

Starline brass with a CCI-200 rifle primer

Yes, all cases photoed are brand new 44-40 cases Doesn't mean other primers are as long

indian joe
11-18-2018, 10:09 AM
I am a believer/practicer of using the INTENDED primer for whichever caliber I'm loading! NOT having a ballistics lab, a zillion dollars worth of test equipment, and of most importance the smarts to use it had I have it ;) -- I rely upon printed in book provided data. Included warning in several is the admonition to not swap designated primer size -- e.g., magnums for regular -- and in a few cases they are brand specific.
SAAMI specs for primer pocket are:
SAAMI Specs. primer pockets:
Small Rifle/Pistol : .118" to .122"
Large Rifle: .128" to .132"
Large Pistol: .118" to .122"

I concur with, and cannot agree more with poster #2 (NSB)'s sentiments, and will quote his final words: Don't do it."

And still nobody has actually measured some 44/40 primer pockets !!!!!!!!! I cant find em ten thou shorter (or even five) than proper rifle ones ........
ahhh just some dolt from downunder that cant work a caliper eh!!

Savvy Jack
11-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Like I said, never trust anyone's information...measure your own

My measurement of my newly purchased Starline brass' primer pocket.

Measurment from the outside wall where the primer seats is .1235" deep

Remington 1 1/2 Primer = .1215 Length
Winchester WLP = .1195" Length

Starline = .1235" Deep
RP Brass = .119" Deep
Winchester = .119" Deep

If using my batch of CCI-300 pistol primers with my batch of Winchester or RP brass, you might get a primer extruding .0015" past the case rim.
If using my batch of CCI-200 rifle primers with my batch of Starline brass, you might get a primer extruding .004" past the case rim.
If using my batch of CCI-200 rifle primers with my batch of Winchester or RP brass, you might get a primer extruding .0085" past the case rim.

Just for kicks, my 45-70 Starline pockets are .131" thus using the CCI-200 rifle primers would result in a .0035" recess rather than any kind of extrusion.

Now that my brain is total corn mush right now, I am gonna go take a nap!!

Harry O
11-18-2018, 01:53 PM
I have been using Large Pistol Primers in both 38-40 and 44-40 CAS loads for 30 or more years without any problems of any kind. If you are planning to use +P loads, that might not be a good idea, but with standard pressure loads, Large Pistol is all you need.

Outpost75
11-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Thank you Gentlemen for the validation.

Pioneer2
11-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Win LP primers in my Win 92

BigEyeBob
11-30-2018, 05:14 AM

I have mistakely used large rifle primers in the 44-40 ,and found thathey dont seat correctly ,this was in Winchester brass ,most were sitting proud of the case head and not slightly below . I realised my mistake and deprimed them and replaced with large pistol primers .This was for my 92 winchester rifle .

sandog
12-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Whether you can fit LR primers in .44/40, .45 Colt or any other pistol round is a moot point.
As some have shown in photos above, LR primers may or may not seat deep enough.
Firing pin strength and length is intended for a LP primer.
Just because you are using a "rifle", it is firing a pistol round, so you should use pistol primers. Period.
Just like all the loading manuals will tell you.
If a firing pin in a 1873, 1892 or 1894 Marlin was piercing primers on a regular basis, then that rifle or carbine might be better served by using a stouter LR primer. But that doesn't happen, LP primers work just fine.
Here's what Mike Venturino had to say about it, from the book "Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West" under the reloading chapter., when adressing why he calls them "pistol-cartridge lever guns".

"And that brings us to the first important point about reloading for pistol-cartridge lever action rifles and carbines.
That is that with the single exception of .25-20 caliber, all should be reloaded with pistol primers.
Let me repeat myself, regardless of whether these cartridges are going to be fired in revolvers or lever action rifles and carbines, the proper primer size for them is small or large pistol, as appropriate.
The reason is that all brass made for these calibers is made with the primer pocket dimensionally formed for pistol primers.
Rifle primers are slightly longer, and will not fit the primer pockets properly.
Again however I must stress that .25-20 is an exception to this rule. brass for .25-20 is made to take small rifle primers".

If some of you have deeper than usual primer pockets, and want to keep using LR primers, good for you.
I'll continue to use what's recommended by powder and bullet companies with their fancy lab equipment that put out the data.

Savvy Jack
12-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Let's don't get carried away with the pistol cartridge rifle cartridge BS
Just because we use "Pistol" Primers doesn't mean the cartridge is a "pistol" cartridge. Sure, the 45 Colt would be a pistol cartridge also used in a rifle as well as the 44 Magnum but the 44-40 and the 38-40 cartridges are listed under SAAMI specs as a RIFLE cartridge and we use them in pistols. ;-)

If a cartridge was designed for a rifle, it is a rifle cartridge. The 30 carbine is a rifle cartridge...just because it is used in a revolver doen't make it a pistol cartridge does it?
Is a .22 Long Rifle a pistol cartridge?

sandog
12-14-2018, 08:57 AM
So because the aforementioned rounds are chambered in both rifles and revolvers, you are determined to use rifle primers anyway, despite the advice of the loading companies and manuals ? Okie Dokie.

Savvy Jack
12-14-2018, 09:37 AM
So because the aforementioned rounds are chambered in both rifles and revolvers, you are determined to use rifle primers anyway, despite the advice of the loading companies and manuals ? Okie Dokie.

Go read my replies.....and you will see my answer

DAVIDMAGNUM
12-16-2018, 03:21 PM
....and to add to what Savvy Jack said. Just because a cartridge has MAGNUM in it's name doesn't mean that the use of magnum primers is necessary. Use the published data from a known reliable source and then experiment with different primers if you are under maximum listed charge weight and if you are willing to risk the consequences. (case failure/bullet lodged in barrel/poor accuracy.....)
Case in point(pun intended) I reload 357 Magnum for revolver and rifle. Two fun loads that I shoot are a relatively small charge of Titegroup or Greendot and a CCI #500 primers. I shoot them in a Ruger Vaquero and a Winchester 1892. The load for rifle and revolver is the same because that is what was used to develop the load. The cartridge has magnum in it's name and I am shooting it in a rifle. I am however using standard small pistol primers because that is what is called for in the load data.

Savvy Jack
12-16-2018, 04:34 PM
In my brief amateurish strain gauge testings...I have experienced up to an additional 2,000 psi increase in pressures between using WLPs and CCI-300 primers in a specific load. If one fails to properly hand-load a specific load correctly, i.e. seating depth, proper bullet, case length, powder charge, distance between bullet and lands (AOL), one could have a bad day.

Savvy Jack
04-05-2019, 03:16 PM
Excerpt from Winchester's 1895 catalog #55

"Care should be taken to set the primer well down. The pocket in the shell is always made deep enough to allow the primer to be set below the surface of the head of the shell. Premature explosions and misfires are often caused by failing to attend to this particular."

During this time primers were Winchester Primer No.1's for the 44-40 (44WCF)

NSB
04-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Follow the loading manual, not internet comments. You never know anything about who's giving advice on the net, but the manual is pretty reliable.

bicyclemonkey
04-23-2019, 03:56 PM
My Hodgdon book used large rifle primers.240309

Savvy Jack
04-23-2019, 04:04 PM
My Hodgdon book used large rifle primers.240309

lol, yeap...funny

woody1
04-23-2019, 04:35 PM
Corrected in Hodgdon Data Manual No. 26 4th printing to Large Pistol Primers with no other change in data.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Regardless of pocket depth it doesn't take much to ignite real bp which is what many use in there gun. Fast Pistol powders usually ignite easily also but a lot of slower rifle powders need a rifle primer. So that means a pistol primer is usually all you need. Maybe some guns will be more accurate with one or the other just make sure of the depth before

robg
04-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Pistol primers ,have used rifle primers ,they sit proud in the cases I used them in .

dangitgriff
04-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Like I said, never trust anyone's information...measure your own

My measurement of my newly purchased Starline brass' primer pocket.

Measurment from the outside wall where the primer seats is .1235" deep

Remington 1 1/2 Primer = .1215 Length
Winchester WLP = .1195" Length

Starline = .1235" Deep
RP Brass = .119" Deep
Winchester = .119" Deep

If using my batch of CCI-300 pistol primers with my batch of Winchester or RP brass, you might get a primer extruding .0015" past the case rim.
If using my batch of CCI-200 rifle primers with my batch of Starline brass, you might get a primer extruding .004" past the case rim.
If using my batch of CCI-200 rifle primers with my batch of Winchester or RP brass, you might get a primer extruding .0085" past the case rim.

Just for kicks, my 45-70 Starline pockets are .131" thus using the CCI-200 rifle primers would result in a .0035" recess rather than any kind of extrusion.

Now that my brain is total corn mush right now, I am gonna go take a nap!!

Thank you for posting these measurements—it explains why my WLP primers were seated too deep in new Starline .41 Special brass. Had to pull 30 rounds apart and toss the powder (lead shavings in it from the cast bullets), then back them out gently with my universal decapping die. The first 3 went too far and had to be ingeniously re-seated flush again using my press.
—Griff

Reverend Al
04-24-2019, 07:21 PM
I've always used large pistol primers in my .44-40's and I've had at least 7 of them now ...

dangitgriff
04-25-2019, 07:00 AM
I figured that would raise some eyebrows...[emoji1783]
If they were anything but brand-new Starline .41 SPCL cases, I would have tossed them out. Only backed them out maybe 1/16”. Here’s a pic of them taken at the range after attempting to fire them:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190425/e5ea6b03183764db640b583efbdd2a02.jpg

Captain*Kirk
05-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Good deal that somebody dug up this zombie thread, as I am preparing to load .44-40 for my Winchester '66 within the next week using new Starline brass.
Being a brass receiver rifle, I wish to keep the loads below the 7000 CUP mark. I've noticed that a 10gr increase in powder nearly doubles the CUP readings with Unique...and simply changing primer brands alters it noticeably as well based on different manuals.
I will stick with pistol primers, as the reloading manuals advise.

dangitgriff
05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Griff
Pushing out live primers would make me nervous - I wuz gonna say why not just fire em off but that didnt work - the whole thing is not making much sense - 41 mag gets my vote as a pistol calibre - starline has obviously formed these for rifle primers - why would they do that?

I woulda soaked that brass in water for a week then just deprimed and started over - woulda used federal rifle primers in that Starline brass I think.
You still got all yr fingers so its all good.

I think I will follow your advice if this ever happens again. Not worth the risk to save 90 cents’ worth of primers.
—Griff

OverMax
05-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Being a rookie reloader. I'm aware in different locals stocked shelves differ. To state hard to find component in good times. Is very feasible.

Depending on powder used. (fast or slow burning) Determines whether or not a substitute LP primer can be used so say the old timers.} But than again I've found the usage of one particular brand of L-P primers suits both needs of low pressured & Magnum reloadings. >Winchester brand.

Then again seating of Magnum or rifle primers in older antiquated cartridges often create problems.
1. High primers not seated fully flush with their cartridge base. As pistol & rifle primers actually differ in overall dimensions. Not by much but they do.
2. Multi fired semi-straight wall pistol cases never trimmed quite often split at mouth & down due to excessive pressure a rifle primer can generate.
So my advice when possible to purchase LP._ Buy Winchester brand and never worry between Regular & Magnum use.

Savvy Jack
05-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Just use Remington #2 primers...problem solved!

longbow
05-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Well, many years ago I made the mistake of using large rifle primers in .44 mag. for my 1894 Marlin. I do not recall if it was a conscious decision because it was a rifle or if I just used what I had because I knew they were the same diameter and it is a rifle the cartridges would be used in. Seems to me there was a somewhat hotter rifle load for .44 mag. back then but regardless, that's what I used. I had no problem at all with function and no problems chambering.

I was loading with a Lee Loader and occasional a primer would pop during seating. Didn't happen often but it did happen so I checked dimensions and found that large rifle primers are indeed deeper than large pistol primers. I didn't realize that so learned something.

I was loading "hot" but saw no excess pressure signs so they certainly didn't raise pressures much. The danger of a high primer being set off when chambered is something to worry about though. There might also be an issue with high primers in the tube mag as well during recoil. I shot quite a number of round rounds (several hundred?) loaded with LR primers with nary a hitch except for the occasional primer that popped during seating. Once I learned I didn't repeat.

A little off topic is my observation that if they weren't meant to be interchangeable then they should have been made different diameters so they could not possibly be loaded into the wrong brass. What bonehead decided to make them the same diameter but different heights!?! This leads to the possibility of LP primers being seated in high pressure rifle brass and LR primers being seated in pistol brass and standing proud. Danger both ways! As Hootmix found... anyone can make a mistake so why make it easy to make the mistake?

Anyway, in Hootmix's case I would have checked to see if they chambered okay and if so then I would have shot them. I don't believe there is any significant danger except for the possibility of the high primer being set off in a tight chambering situation. They'd be good for informal target or linking rounds. That's just me.

Conversely, if I found I had seated LP primers in my .308 brass... I'd be pulling bullets! Unless they were light cast boolit loads.

Longbow

moosemike
05-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Griff
Pushing out live primers would make me nervous - I wuz gonna say why not just fire em off but that didnt work - the whole thing is not making much sense - 41 mag gets my vote as a pistol calibre - starline has obviously formed these for rifle primers - why would they do that?

I woulda soaked that brass in water for a week then just deprimed and started over - woulda used federal rifle primers in that Starline brass I think.
You still got all yr fingers so its all good.

I've popped out a lot of live primers. Never an issue.

moosemike
05-06-2019, 08:25 PM
I've even reused the primers and they worked!

gunnie
05-18-2019, 07:19 PM
I too have removed live primers from cases and whilst I understand the hesitation of some folks, I do not find any issue with it. I'm an explosives technician and understand the chemicals used, sensitivity, reaction, handling etc and as long as you don't go at it like a bull at a gate, all should be fine. Where problems will occur is with brass that has crimped primers, most notably military brass. In which case the options are to either fire off the primers or 'kill' the primers through chemical neutralization. The best method here is light machine oil added to the case and allowed to sit for a few days. Then the primers can be removed with a universal de-priming die.

As for the 'swapping' primers aspect. I run both pistol & rifle primers in my 44-40, 32-20, 357Mag & 44Mag reloads. Now, as part of my normal case prep procedures, all cases have the primer pockets uniformed and a light chamfer with the case mouth deburring tool. This way all primer pockets are of uniform diameter & depth. Ergo there should then be no issue with differences in primer cup heights.

I also run an internal chamfer on the flash hole to remove any burrs, deformity in flash hole and to ensure the flash hole is the correct size.

Reloads wise, most of my loads for the above listed cartridges, are not hot. I run coated cast projectiles over mild powder charges or TrailBoss powder. To note; I have been running pistol primers in my 17 Ackley Hornet, 22Hornet & 22 K-Hornet reloads for the past 20yrs. The advantage of running a small pistol primer being a lower initial peak pressure wave prior to total powder consumption pressure peak, which apparently prevents the projectile from moving forward before the full pressure wave begins. I was put onto this reloading method for my Hornet rifles years ago by an old ballistician I used to do the odd explosives inspection work with. He'd reloaded for Hornets for some 45yrs and had found the use of pistol powders to aid in accuracy with the cartridge.

Even though he explained the theory behind it, I'm still sceptical, but will admit that it does produce slightly better results than using rifle primers. Go figure!!

john.k
05-20-2019, 06:51 PM
After 60 years in industrial work ,I learned long ago to keep eyes clear of possible blasts.........I have never been worried by primers going off in a press,or a impact puller ,for that matter.........primers going off when you reload fired berdan 303 cases wasnt that rare,due to the ocassional deformed anvil........when I was young I used cut off 303 cases in a 44/40, they were reloadable,and the Winchester brass wasnt.......because I had no primers,only 303 berdan surplus primers.

Texas by God
05-20-2019, 08:51 PM
I've even reused the primers and they worked!Ditto times many. Catch and reuse. Nary a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk