PDA

View Full Version : New Grips for Super Blackhawk

kungfustyle
09-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Had a write up asking about this company http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/
and got favorable response to the site/company so I ventured out to try them out. Glad I did. I bought my Super Blackhawk at a gun show and it came with Hogue grips

Looked around for grips and came across Altamont. Ordered the grips and two days later they are here w/ four different length mounting screws, neat touch two to big and one to small, Then goldie lox found one that was just right:
Grips fit perfectly for me and what an improvement on the gun. Thought you'd like to know. Price was $31 shipped compared to $40+ for factory.

Gibbs44
09-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Nice looking grips. Way better than the Hogues.

starmac
09-20-2014, 12:57 AM
What do you want for the hogues?? Nice looking grips by the way.

Lefty Red
09-20-2014, 05:49 AM
I don't think most people understand that finger grooved grips (stocks) on SAA closes do not aid in the recoil of those type of weapons. The SAA was design to roll up with recoil, instead of the push back from DA weapons.

Now with that said I will contradict myself and say I do like finger grooved wood one piece grips from HOUGE when its a SBH or BH with a scope or red dot and its going to give a big boom! :)
But for regular open sight shooting in the 357 to 45LC, I like the traditional grips. But I do like them a bit wider than the stock or slim panels.

Jerry

kungfustyle
09-20-2014, 07:16 AM
thanks for the offer, but I'm going to keep the old grips for now, at least till I shoot the gun with the new grips. There may have been a reason they made the Houge grips so poofy. I've shot it twice w/ the Houges on and the 44 wasn't bad. And Jerry is right the gun goes up not back. I'm going to be shooting cast out of it and don't plan to be using full house loads. I just bought the gun and dies/mold/brass so my funds were limited for the grips, but Altamont had others:
Don't get me wrong I like Houge, But I think these grips were around $50 and the Houge's around $70+ at Midway....
For me I was very happy with the new grips.

MrWolf
09-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but do you think the finger groove grip would help in my situation? I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45c/45acp. My problem is I am losing the feeling in my last three fingers of my right hand. My first shot is always good. Subsequent shots not so good as I start losing grip. Been noticing it getting worse as condition worsens.

Ron

kungfustyle
09-20-2014, 05:15 PM
May want to look into a chiropractor for that one....might be a neck/nerve thing. Try different stances and holdings, feet like a boxer, hand over hand or t-cup see if that still happens. Try just holding the gun with out shooting and see if it still happens. If it does try holding a weight or milk jug and moving the hand in a yes motion and then no motion for a few minutes to strengthen the wrists and do see a chiropractor.

triggerhappy243
09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
that does sound like a nerve/ blood circulation issue. if I sit on the thrown too long my right leg goes numb.... cant walk.

MrWolf
09-20-2014, 08:07 PM
It is nerve damage from my neck but am trying to deal with it. Specialits talking about surgery as I have a whole lot more damage. Just annoying to lose strength like that and was kinda hoping to figure something out.

kungfustyle
09-21-2014, 05:24 AM
use the weights....hold out a 5lb weight at arms length and work the arm/wrist. Do exercises to strengthen your neck, should help.

Lefty Red
09-21-2014, 02:05 PM
thanks for the offer, but I'm going to keep the old grips for now, at least till I shoot the gun with the new grips. There may have been a reason they made the Houge grips so poofy. I've shot it twice w/ the Houges on and the 44 wasn't bad. And Jerry is right the gun goes up not back. I'm going to be shooting cast out of it and don't plan to be using full house loads. I just bought the gun and dies/mold/brass so my funds were limited for the grips, but Altamont had others:
Don't get me wrong I like Houge, But I think these grips were around $50 and the Houge's around $70+ at Midway....
For me I was very happy with the new grips.

I just ordered a set of finger grooved stocks for my BH in 357! LOL I will be running them hard and with a Ultra Dot on top, but with the weight of the 6.5" barrel and red dot it will keep the rise to a minimum.
Those are nice grips. Houge makes some nice production grips, but Altamount has better checkering and wood grain I think. I wish they made those finger grips were made for the regular BH instead of just for the SBH.

Lefty Red
09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but do you think the finger groove grip would help in my situation? I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45c/45acp. My problem is I am losing the feeling in my last three fingers of my right hand. My first shot is always good. Subsequent shots not so good as I start losing grip. Been noticing it getting worse as condition worsens.

Ron

Doubt weights will help, sound like nerve problems from the neck. I have my C4/C5 fused and will be getting C6/C7 done soon. I would be walking with something in my hand and drop it without knowing it. Whole hand would go numb.
The finger grooves MIGHT help if you you can use both hands. Just relax at the elbows and allow the weapon to rise at your elbows.
Your weak hand can help support the weapon and reinforce your grip.
Jerry

helice
09-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Ron,
Tis disappointing to hear of your problem and I don't have added advice to give medically. I wonder though if you could go to your "weak hand" and support it with the numb hand. I know that this is hard - dang hard - but I hate to see a shooter get aced-out by a 'nerve problem." Working with the weak hand, you'd would probably find finger grips to be a benefit though I will add that I prefer to have my RBH just roll up in my hand.
Dang. I hate to hear of shooters who have problems that keep them from this endeavor.:?

MrWolf
09-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Lefty, the emg showed C6/7 as causing the issue with the fingers. I've got about a dozen herniations including cervical, thoracic, and lumbar including L5-S1 (Pretty much screwed up back). Had to stop trap shooting cause of the pain. I think I might try helice's advice or different grips/stances. Luckily I can still shoot my leverguns without to many probs.

Lefty Red
09-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Lefty, the emg showed C6/7 as causing the issue with the fingers. I've got about a dozen herniations including cervical, thoracic, and lumbar including L5-S1 (Pretty much screwed up back). Had to stop trap shooting cause of the pain. I think I might try helice's advice or different grips/stances. Luckily I can still shoot my leverguns without to many probs.

Yep, I had to give up heavy recoiling rifles. My levers in pistol calibers is about all I can handle. Now I can shoot big bore handguns, at lest for now. But I have noticed that when I was "running and gunning" with my G19 last week, I have numbness in my right hand to the point I didn't feel myself dropping a magazine during reloading drills.

Different stances and massages in the neck area will help. Won't cure it it, but keeping the stress off your shoulders and necks can keep down the numbness. It kept me sane and shooting!

I said weights won't help, and it won't with the numbness and pain, but its a good idea to keep your muscles in shape as much as possible. I had to drop shoulder presses and dead lifts due to the stress on my shoulder and neck. But you don't even have to do heavy weights, just a good stretch and light weights will help a bit. And a neck rub and shoulder massage works wonders afterwards!

My pain and numbness got me down and depressed. Its easy to do, way too easy. Keep active and talk with someone. No matter how bad it gets, keep doing something that you like.
Jerry

Lefty Red
09-22-2014, 02:42 AM
http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/shared/photos/RV-CS05-L01-HM.jpg

I got these for my BH, Decided I didn't need the finger grips. But sure wish they made them for the BH!
Best $38 you can spend on a BH!

This is Altamount's stock photo BTW. I wish I had a SS SS! LOL

helice
09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
My brother has horrible arthritis in his wrists from walking on crutches and from demanding to blast hot 44 Mag and 45 Colt loads at little bitty corn fed deer. I traded to get him a Python 10 Pointer but even that long barreled .357 with it's heavy Burris scope caused him pain. It was an expensive experiment that didn't work out real well. I hope you can keep shooting your handguns and I'm delighted to know that the lever guns are still friendly.
Karl

Slow Elk 45/70
09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Well, you fellows are not alone:violin:....I just had neck surgery C-3thru C-7.....this is no fun , they had to fuse the works and install a SS cage around it.....4 months ago, still doing P.T. have about 15 more sessions left.....but no joy with my strength coming back...having night mares about if I can shoot at all again......:groner: Jim

Rugerman
09-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Good looking grips. I'm original on my BH 357 and then bisley 44 mag hunter.

leftiye
09-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Ah jus' luvz mah Pachmayr grips on mah Super Black hawg. Decelerators, I like the soft rubber that grips your hand (and cushions it). I had the stock grips on it before, obviously. Nice looking grips you've got though.

44man
09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
My wife got 3 herniated disks in her back from some girl hitting her head on. She could not walk with pain in her leg, disk pushing on nerve.
They wanted to cut and I said no way. Found a chiropractor, Dr Bombino, in Martinsburg with the machine that stretches the spine in a computer controlled way, It would stretch and relax, over and over. she had to drink supplements to heal disks and get the tense unit work. Few times a week !/2 hour on the machine was the only time she could sleep.
Her disks healed completely and he can even fix a neck disk.
As she healed he would work her by hand and in a few sessions, she could walk but it did take some time and a lot of trips to finish.
It would be a cold day when I would get my spine fused after seeing this work. If you have a bulged disk, look into it.
carol had to get an MRI first before he would take her and he had to see where the damage was.