PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a RCBS Pro 2000

Jim_P
09-19-2014, 03:01 PM
As the title say, I'm looking for info on the RCBS Pro 2000 Indexing (or non) progressive press.

I've read volumes of reviews on the Hornady LNL and the Dillons, but there's very little out there on the RCBS.

Anyone using one can tell me about it's strengths, weaknesses, problems (have they fixed the APS Primer feeding?) etc.?

Starting to do homework on a progressive and this is one of the three I'm looking at but not convinced there's a compelling victor yet.

FWIW, I'm comparing to the Dillon 650.

Thanks,

Jim

seagiant
09-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Hi,
I think Dave has one! I'd like one to play with!

44Vaquero
09-19-2014, 05:05 PM
DaveinFloweryBranch has one, and it has the APS and auto advance installed. Send him a PM.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi Jim,

I have an RCBS Pro 2000 Auto Advance Progressive press, not the manual advance. One a scale of one to ten satisfaction, I am satisfied at a 10. I have owned a Dillon 550 (This press is much better in many respects.), a Hornady LnL Progressive (I like this press much better, adjustments stay adjusted and are pretty simple to do.) and I've loaded on a Dillon 650. (I still prefer the RCBs Pro 2000 for ease of operation/cleanliness.)

Things I especially think are great: 1. Adjustments to the press are simple to do if you take the time to learn them from the get go. I got a press from a batch that had a defective base plate and that gave me problems at first, but RCBS excellent customer service (better than Dillons to me) sent me parts, adjustment gauges and I was able to replace the improperly machined part and correct the issue. You can read about it if you go back in time with my threads. Once the bad part was replaced and the machine adjusted properly, it became reliable as a tank. Haven't adjusted it since or repaired it, because it hasn't needed anything but cleaning and lubing since. The primer system is one of the things I like best about it, because you just feed in strips as you go and it's much faster than loading primers on either Dillon or Hornady presses, especially if you buy preloads. The press is fast enough and simple enough I do my reloading during commercials on nights I watch tv. Turned out 5000 .223 reloads and never even noticed I was doing it. All gauged and shot perfectly.

Some answers for you in red in the quote:

As the title say, I'm looking for info on the RCBS Pro 2000 Indexing (or non) progressive press. I don't have the manual advance and after using the auto advance, I wouldn't waste my money on the manual advance. The auto advance is just too smooth.

I've read volumes of reviews on the Hornady LNL and the Dillons, but there's very little out there on the RCBS Most RCBS progressive owners that spend any effort at all setting the press up correctly don't have any issues afterwards to mention or worth mentioning. I had initial problems due to a defective part (can happen with any manufacturer) and new press learning curve, but since then, I've had ZERO issues.

Anyone using one can tell me about it's strengths, weaknesses, problems (have they fixed the APS Primer feeding?) etc.? Strengths: 1. Simple to adjust and stays adjusted, just keep clean and lube. 2. Never had a part break since I've owned it and don't expect to. I do expect parts to wear out after a LOT of cartridges reloaded. 3. Spent primer disposal takes the used primer filth away from the press, so press stays clean. 3. Comes with an excellent Uniflow automated measure, it's auto dispense works with Hornady LnL measures as well. Will also accept Dillon powder measures if you use the old style spring and Lee measures as well. I own all the brands of measure I just listed. 4. Primer system is not difficult to adjust, is simple to modify/upgrade to stop primer feed if you need to work on press (see internet mods for this press) and once set up the first time, it just goes and goes. Just need to change the primer seater to large/small primers, so change over of primer sizes is very fast. Plastic primer strips are the same size on the feed mechanism for both sizes of primers.

I'm often mystified that people have problems with this system. I believe the problem is probably they got one of the presses with an improperly machined baseplate (there was a pretty good batch of them at one time) like the one I had. It initially looked like a primer adjustment problem and you couldn't get the shell plate, the primer feed and the primer strip to line up properly. But it was an improperly machined base plate. The hole and threads for the primer seater were machined slightly off from where they were supposed to be. If you had the patience and replaced the base/subplate, this eliminated the issue completely and everything became easy to adjust. I suspect, because it was a pain to realize it was the base/subplate that was the problem, that many blamed it on the primer feed system and gave up/returned the press before they ever realized they had a defective base/subplate.

Weaknesses: 1. No case feeder and no provision to add one. Unless you need extremely high volume or you're extremely short on time, you'll never need one. I owned one before with my Hornady LnL and load on my buddy's Dillon 650 with one and frankly, I don't and never had needed one. My ego bought one and if I get an opportunity, I'll add one to this press, but it is fast on it's own even when going slow and unless you're a SERIOUS high volume reloader or VERY short on time, it's a waste of money. You can, however, add a bullet feeder easily. If I had to pick, I'd pick a bullet feeder over a case feeder, especially for cartridges with smaller bullets that are hard to handle. Cases are generally easy for me to handle. 2. The die plates only have 5 stations. The powder measure station is built into the press. That said, I do rifle cartridges in two passes (Best way to get quality cartridges.) and don't use that hole for the powder measure. On pistol, I use Dillon or Lee dies with powder through expansion and don't use that hole then either. It's the hole just before the bullet seating location, so a powder check could be added there easily. I check visually and have an excellent Inline Fabrication progressive press LED light setup. 3. I can't think of any other weaknesses.

Starting to do homework on a progressive and this is one of the three I'm looking at but convinced there's a compelling victor yet.

FWIW, I'm comparing to the Dillon 650 Having used the Dillon 650 a lot, here's what I don't like: 1. No primer disposal, so the press gets nasty with spent primer filth. 2. Primer system can be a pain to adjust or to change over, though that is often related to how fast one is trying to go. 3. Dillon's service just never lived up to their sterling reputation when I had a 550. (hated the 550, hated the manual advance and it had some sort of defective frame or something, never could get it straightened out.)

Thanks,

Jim

I hope this helps you Jim. After loading on all three of the "big boys" progressives, I much prefer reloading on the RCBS model. If I were to upgrade, it would be to a Dillon 1050 to get more stations for more flexibility and even more speed. Note: I have a hand built "strong mount" and an ergonomic roller handle from Inline Fabrications. If I bought a new press today, I would buy Inline's "strong mount" and one of their ergonomic roller handles. That handle and the extra height makes the press a pleasure to use when sitting on a bar stool, the height I like to reload at. Puts everything at eye level and gets me off my old feet and back.

Mike67
09-19-2014, 10:33 PM
I've had the Pro 2000 manual index since it first came out. It's a great press with few problems. Do your cleaning under the shell plate every so often, disassemble clean and relube the advance mechanism for the aps primer system every few years, don't wait ten years like I did, and check your case activated powder measure linkages and tighten as necessary from time to time. The one thing about this press is you can't do a visual on powder level in the case without removing it. The plate travels counter clockwise and is heading to the back of the press after powder drop. I recommend a powder cop die for rifle and lockout die for pistol to be safer. No casefeeder is available for this press nor will there ever probably be one because of the design. Bullet feeder is available, however I don't care to have one. I also have a Hornady LNL AP used mostly for pistol and I love it, and a Dillon RL450 upgraded to auto primer and powder feed used for .223 mainly good press but the Pro 2000 with it's five stations and larger size offers more room for those of us who have big clumsy hands. I can't think of anything else at this time, it's loaded 1000's of rounds with few problems. Oh, one more thing you can disable the primer system so you can do a one round setup, after priming your one case place a .38 special case with a slight smash between the indexing arm and body and it won't advance the strip until your ready to load the whole batch then just remove the .38 case. Hope this was helpful.

VHoward
09-19-2014, 11:40 PM
That's weird. My XL650 has a primer disposal so it doesn't get dirty from spent primers. No matter. each machine has it's own quirks Any primer system can be a pain to adjust and I have had stellar customer service from Dillon as well as from RCBS.

No matter what machine you choose, you will have a learning curve to work through. Take it slowly and ask questions if the instructions are not clear.

Jim_P
09-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Gents,

Thank you all for your input. Most likely a 'personal Christmas present' to give you a time reference when I plan on my purchase. Great info and why this forum is one of the best!

Dave, I especially appreciate your input. I've been a RCBS fan since I first purchased my Rock Chucker II in the early 80's. But I've never been so dedicated that I wasn't able to see other options. I've had Lee items and have never been impressed by their follow sales support. RCBS has always been there when I needed something or an answer. That counts big time for me! I've always thought Dillon was on par with RCBS. Hmmmmmmm...

Keep the answers coming. The more info provided is the same info provided to someone else whom can do a search.

Jeez, this is one terrific forum!

Jim

VHoward
09-20-2014, 12:19 PM
RCBS, Dillon and Hornady all have great progressive presses. They all have great customer service. They all get it that when you make your customer happy with what they have already bought, customers are more likely to buy more of your product. Dillon and RCBS machines are warranted for life and the warranty follows the machine. So if you buy a used machine, you get warranty service from the manufacturer. I don't know about the warranty policy of Hornady though. If I wasn't already heavily invested in a XL650, I would not mind having the RCBS Pro 2000. The last I looked, you could get the Pro 2000 with either the APS primer system or a tube fed primer system close in design to Hornady's.
The RCBS Pro 2000 with the APS primer system comes with an APS strip loader included so you won't have to buy all your primers in the strips, you just re-use the strips and reload them. I believe RCBS sells just the empty strips also. Primers sold preloaded in the strips average about a dollar more per 100.

mold maker
09-20-2014, 03:29 PM
As said above, I am totally satisfied with the RCBS 2000. Ordered from Midway and got one of the first in production. It's the only progressive I own, and it gets used regularly.
Original setup and adjustment is the Key.

ReloaderEd
09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
You can't go wrong with RCBS. I prefer to size/polish/clean primer pockets and prime by hand. Then run the cases thru my piggybacks to expand/powder Lee auto thpwer/Rcbs powder checker die/seat boolit and taper crimp. I load all short cases this way. I prefer aingle atage press for rifle cases weighing each charge except .223. I especially like the five stations on the Rcbs progressives.

trixter
12-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I received my Pro 2000 Friday afternoon. I drilled the holes and mounted it. The assembly instructions were well written and easy to follow. I cleaned all of the necessary parts, and started the setup process about 8:00pm. By 1:00am Saturday morning it was complete and ready to run. I slipped a nap in and resumed at 8:30am. I had to make a short trip to Sportsman's for die sets and was in production by 11:00. I had been using a Lee Classic Cast Turret and was completely satisfied, but an opportunity to get the Pro 2000 at a great savings was just too good to pass up. I love the primer system; smooth as glass. I did about 300 .223 and did a change over to .45ACP that took about an hour, being the first time and using a great deal of caution, to be sure I got it right. Next time it will go much quicker. I had to really laugh at myself when I dropped the detent ball down the center hole. That was a fun little project getting it out, something that I won't let happen again. All I have to do now is prep the bucket of .223 then get busy. I am completely satisfied with my new machine. Thank you everyone for allowing me to learn all about it before making my purchase.
If you have been thinking about getting one, pull the trigger and go for it, you'll be glad you did.

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Trixter:

Glad you got the RCBS and posted on your set up and start up

" I did about 300 .223 and did a change over to .45ACP that took about an hour, being the first time and using a great deal of caution, to be sure I got it right. Next time it will go much quicker. I had to really laugh at myself when I dropped the detent ball down the center hole. That was a fun little project getting it out, something that I won't let happen again. All I have to do now is prep the bucket of .223 then get busy. I am completely satisfied with my new machine. Thank you everyone for allowing me to learn all about it before making my purchase.
If you have been thinking about getting one, pull the trigger and go for it, you'll be glad you did."

I hope you join DaveInFloweryBranchGa in keeping us informed on RCBS reliability. I am a Dillon 550 and 450 user who was formerly deeply invested in Lee equipment back in the 90's.
I had a brief non pleasing run in with RCBS progressives about 15 years ago but I am sure the new models are much better thanks to informative posts like you, Dave and others have posted.

BTW dropping detent balls down in the press is seemingly a right of passage for all colors (brands) of reloading equipment. At least it encouraged me to get some Harbor Freight magnets for the reloading bench.

trixter
12-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Trixter:

BTW dropping detent balls down in the press is seemingly a right of passage for all colors (brands) of reloading equipment. At least it encouraged me to get some Harbor Freight magnets for the reloading bench.

I believe that to be a great idea, next time I am near Harbor Freight I will get one.

trixter
12-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Update: I loaded up all my empty 45ACP brass. I am getting used to the feel of the priming system and can tell when one doesn't prime. I just pull that empty shell out and go on to the next one. When I am done with my session, I can run that strip with leftover primer, (you can short stroke the press to get it into the ready position), why it didn't advance I don't know but the first time it happened I 'powdered' my new toy and didn't like it. Now I am going to change calibers back to ,223. Sure glad I got the extra die plate. I had to wait for about 500 to be tumbled, sized and primer pocket swaged, now I am ready to go again. I also found out more about joining the primer strips together; you can just shove one on to the next, and you might get away with it, but I didn't. I found that you need to slip the 'next' strip under the one in use and match up the holes and gently press/join them. I am having a great time with this new press.

Mike Kerr
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Trixter:

Good to hear.
" I am having a great time with this new press."

If its not to much trouble keep the Forum posted in the following days-weeks etc. I know I like hearing about equipment different from mine, I guess because the grass is always green on the other side of the fence. You know DaveInFloweryBranchGa has posted in depth on RCBS progressives and I'm sure he will welcome a fellow 'Green" author.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-10-2014, 12:05 PM
If its not to much trouble keep the Forum posted in the following days-weeks etc. I know I like hearing about equipment different from mine, I guess because the grass is always green on the other side of the fence Ah, the reason I changed from Hornady LnL to an RCBS Pro 2K.:)

You know DaveInFloweryBranchGa has posted in depth on RCBS progressives and I'm sure he will welcome a fellow 'Green" author. Yes, I will. At this point in my reloading experience, I own equipment from most of the companies. About the only one I avoid is Lyman, due to their wretched customer service attitude. I have embraced the mix and match dies/powder measure approach as well as mix/match equipment to get the best results. Age and brand matter little to me, as it's the results I'm focused on.

Congrats on the new press trixter.[smilie=w:

trixter
12-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks, I'm liking it more and more every session. I have a question, lube on the ram or not?

LUBEDUDE
12-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes, lube, as well as linkage joints and other wear points. Lack of lube is what shortens the life of the press.
Members here will recommend different lubes all over the map, like what's your favorite gun?

Dillon recommends just plain o' 30 wt motor oil on the ram. I think as long as you use something that you are comfortable with that is fine.