PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing something wrong

mallen
09-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Many of my bullets come out weird. uncoated on one side. like a vertical strip going up from the base.

any advice?

Moonie
09-18-2014, 10:39 PM
how are you applying the PC?

mallen
09-18-2014, 10:49 PM
harbor freight sprayer. trying to spray a lot from different angles. sometimes they come out perfect, others real bad on one side. although they don't look it before cooking.

also none of them are very shinny.

torker
09-18-2014, 11:01 PM
What type of spacing are you using between boolits? I find that if I space them at about 3/4 from each other they coat well. how is your sprayer set up? there are other factors which can contribute to the conditions your having. Maybe some pics might help get you where you need to be?

Garyshome
09-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Maybe they are not making contact with the ground?

mallen
09-18-2014, 11:25 PM
spacing is what i was thinking, but not sure now. im doing maybe a half inch. Looked through the pics on the forum, seems im about the same as others that are getting good results.

mallen
09-18-2014, 11:26 PM
weird thing is. they don't look like this before going into toaster

el34
09-18-2014, 11:54 PM
The left one looks like it has the shadow of what was its neighbor on the spraying tray. Or a very light coat for some other reason. Have you tried spraying longer just to see what would happen?

You sure when you came at it from different angles you still had the pedal stepped on? Accidentally un-stomping it will mess with you. And the green light will go out.

mallen
09-18-2014, 11:58 PM
I can try to pay attention to that, although, i know once i forgot to push it and the bullets still seemed to cover. I have been trying to spray longer, 4 sprays across the whole thing. that helps. sure uses a lot of powder tho. maybe its some weird way im spraying. sometimes the whole try is like this, some times they come out perfect.

el34
09-19-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty sure a half inch between them is pretty close. Did you unscrew the yellow diffuser at the front? Something I've learned from Beagle is to aim for the bases, about 45deg angle. The tops will get covered automatically.

mallen
09-19-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure a half inch between them is pretty close. Did you unscrew the yellow diffuser at the front? Something I've learned from Beagle is to aim for the bases, about 45deg angle. The tops will get covered automatically.
I put the small one on. next time i was going to take it off. my tops seem to coat perfect every time. its the bottom half that i have issues with.

el34
09-19-2014, 12:25 AM
I put the small one on. next time i was going to take it off. my tops seem to coat perfect every time. its the bottom half that i have issues with.

Take that thing off. And try the 45deg angle pointing at the bases. Maybe spread them out a little. You'll get it! And then you'll have a pic for that other thread!! :smile:

mallen
09-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Take that thing off. And try the 45deg angle pointing at the bases. Maybe spread them out a little. You'll get it! And then you'll have a pic for that other thread!! :smile:
chuckles.

yea. ill be taking it off. whever the next time i do some more is. it just seems weird. they look perfect before they go into the toaster. then come out just, weird.

Walter Laich
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
per someone on this forum (BangerJim?) I added this to the front of mine. Seems to concentrate the powder
check post #8 for picture
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?233790-Fine-tuning-ES-gun (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?233790-Fine-tuning-ES-gun)

mallen
09-19-2014, 06:44 PM
they seem to be using less psi than i am

Beagle333
09-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Try different pressures till one fits you the best. You don't want it so slow that it starts clumping up in the tube on the spray gun, but you also don't want it going so fast that it can't stop and stick to the boolit as it blows by it. 8-)

I'd start out low (12psi or so) and work up til you find the one that fits your spray technique.