PDA

View Full Version : Savage Rascal

ajjohns
09-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Anybody have any time on one of these? Looks like a lot of bang for the buck. And, are they really small that a smaller framed groanup could add a spacer of some sort to the stock so it would fit them?

Thanks.

Sghinds
09-18-2014, 11:49 AM
My buddy's son shoots one. It is small, but I have no problems shooting it the way it is. Nice peep sight, smooth to cycle the bolt. I am considering one for my oldest who is left handed. They are the only one who makes a youth left handed bolt action 22lr.

wallenba
09-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I think they make one on an adult stock, MK I G, I think. About twice the weight, priced around $250 MSRP.

jlucke69
09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
My boys (8 and 11) shoot one. They have no problems shooting it unsupported. I can shoot it, but it is very small for me. I have a hard time getting a good sight picture as the peep is so low to the stock.

mjwcaster
09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
I have only handled one at the NRA convention this year.
I haven't found one in a gun store when I had my daughter with me, but it is on my list to buy.
I would love to hear some more about them and how they shoot.
For the money I think they are a great buy, much nicer than a cricket which I have shot and helped others shoot, even though they cost more.

ajjohns
09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Well it's good to hear the input. I have a boy coming of age soon and I really wouldn't mind one myself if it wasn't too outa proportion. I'm not a real big guy, not gonna object to using a spacer to fit me better, just need to see one and find out if the sight picture will fit my cheek as jlucke said. It has a lot of nice features for the money and being air weight would be kinda neat for a change.

foesgth
09-18-2014, 04:58 PM
While you are out looking check out the Mossberg Halfpint 801 (http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/rimfire/mossberg-international-801-half-pint). I got one for my grandkids and they love it. I added a Williams peep to the dovetailed receiver for a better sight picture. The reason I like this rifle is that it comes with a single shot insert. The magazines for the full sized 802 fit it to convert to a 10 shot repeater.

NWPilgrim
09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
My 5 yr old grandson has to tuck the butt under his armpit but still knocks the snot out of clay pigeons on the berm about 15 yds out. After a bit he was loading and shooting slick and smooth while still being safe and accurate.

It is sized probably for a 7-10 yr old but is much lighter and easier handling for a five yr old than the 10/22 or Marlin 60.

JeffinNZ
09-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Bought a red one for my girls. They do well with it. Had some issues with misfires but we appear to be on top of that now. Seems to be a common problem and might be a too light spring - trade off to help kids cock the bolt.

http://floydpics.wordpress.com/category/rimfire/

Texantothecore
09-19-2014, 10:59 PM
I am going to be getting a Rascal for my grand daughter. It really looks good.

Dhammer
09-20-2014, 05:14 AM
I bought my daughter the cricket and then saw the rascal afterward. I much prefer the rascal over the cricket. My buddy called me knowing I had the Cricket since he was going to be buying a 22lr for his granddaughters. After he looked he felt same way. He bought the rascal. He and the granddaughters love to shoot it.

Lefty Red
09-20-2014, 06:05 AM
I bought one for my son and he loves it.
I went through the MAKE OFFER bin at a few stores and gunshops and found a small slip on recoil pad that almost fit it. A few wraps with duct tape and it fit great and added an 1.5" to the pull.
I will look at the left hand model, didn't know they made one.