PDA

View Full Version : linotype today

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
went to pick up a 100 lbs and ended up with over 600. The printer that sells me some every year was going to sell me a 100 and ended up selling me 250. Then i went to the salvage yard and got another 350 there. Bad news is what i had to pay for it. I offered the printer 75 cents a lb. He has allways sold me it for 35 cents in the past but hes not a wealthy man and needs the money. He was very happy to get that for it. The salvage yard wasnt so generous and wanted a buck a lb for it. I hate to spend that much but its getting about impossible for me to find up here anymore. Hes a bullheaded guy to deal with. He had 3 55 gallon drums of wws and wanted the same for them. I told him the clips were a 1/4 of the weight and id give him 50 cents a lb and take one drum but he said no. It was a buck a lb or nothing. He can keep them for that. I think he thought i was upset when i left and called me back and said he had something else for me and gave me a 50 lb block of what he thought was lineotype that he was using for a door stop.

madcaster
02-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Lloyd,I think we are all nervous about the prices we are having to pay.All i know to say is to stock up as you can Buddy....

Bass Ackward
02-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Now, iffin you run out of lino, or money some day, you may have to go through withdrawl symptoms to learn how to kick that lino habit.

And .... it can be done. :grin:

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I had to cry. I talked to the guy at the salvage yard. About a year ago he got in 4 55 gallon drums of lino and sold it off as scrap. I had left my address and phone no. there if he ever got a quantity of it and he had remembered me doing it but missplaced the paper. He said back when he sold it he got 28 cents a lb for it!!!!!! Hell i would have taken a lone out to buy it if i would have had to. It would have kept me in lino for the rest of my life.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I went to a scrap yard 2 weeks ago and it cost me .90 per # for 220# of lino here in Chicagoland. Since I only use it fir my 22 cal guns that should last me for a while. In the mean time maybe a certain B A will break down and share with us how to KICK the habit without withdrawel symptoms. Do we have to say pretty please with sugar on it. BWB:castmine:

Wayne Smith
02-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Lloyd, I'm glad to see you recovering so well. Up and handling heavy loads of lino, yet. Young help? or mechanical help? However you did it, good on you!

Paul B
02-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I only use my lino to sweeten my wheel weights.
Paul B.