PDA

View Full Version : Traditions steel frame 1851 Navy in .44

berkmberk1
02-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone have experience with one of these? Its the steel frame model. I found a web site selling them for $165 each. This sounds like a pretty decent price for 2008! While the .44 isn't authentic, it would still be fun to shoot.

I was just wondering about the manufacturer, reliability, durability, etc.

Thanks for any help

Mike

StrawHat
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Used to be Traditions did NOT have a good reputation for reliability.

I don't go much for reputations, the two traditions I have have performed well but did need some tinkering and a couple of perts replaced.

Maven
02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
bmb1, 38yrs. ago I purchased a "no-name" 1851 Colt Navy (steel frame, .36cal.) and found it to be surprisingly accurate, although it did shoot high. 28yrs. ago I purchased another Italian rpelica, this time a .44cal. (.451RB) solid frame Remington replica. It too shot high and was fitted with a grossly out of spec. cylinder, since replaced. With the correct cylinder, it will shoot about as accurately @ 25yds. as my cartridge revolvers. In sum, quality control is sometimes not as stringent as it should be on some Italian replicas, but then Smith & Wesson had major problems in the 1980's in that department as well. In short, learn what the gun likes and enjoy it for it may surprise you and give you many years of faithful service. If it's not to your liking, swap it for something that better suits your fancy.