PDA

View Full Version : tumbler

Moonie
09-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I'd read about using a vibratory case cleaner to apply PC and since I've gone to SS pins to clean my cases I have one spare that hasn't been used in awhile. After doing several batches and it working very well I had a batch that didn't stick at all. The first couple of batches I did inside but moved it outside due to the noise, the heat had gone up and I'm sure the humidity had followed it. I thought perhaps it was just the batch of boolits so I took them out and put in another batch, with the same result, no PC sticking to them. I had read recently about the static potential of different materials and had determined that packing peanuts should pull electrons from lead and so impart a static charge to the lead allowing it to attract PC. I had saved some packing peanuts from a package the wife had received about a week ago so I added them and turned it back on for about 5 minutes. I was amazed, they looked just like the first batch, nicely coated. after putting the first failed batch back in and the packing peanuts they looked great as well.

I did around 1,000 yesterday if I had to guess.

docstodd
09-19-2014, 02:06 PM
did the peanuts mix in with the boolits or float around on top? I tried the airsoft bb's and with a 1000 boolits it was tough to separate them in a timely manner. and I didn't really see that it coated better so I stopped. I was going to try and put the bb's in a zip lock bag and put them in the tumbler and see how that worked. I am going to try the peanuts in the next batch and see what happens

Moonie
09-20-2014, 11:17 PM
They floated on top and were easily removed. Very little powder adhered to them, really just crevices. This was as expected as they would have the opposite charge than the lead that attracts the PC.