PDA

View Full Version : Cabin tree mold handles.

starmac
09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I have been interested in trying these handles, and grabbed a pair off the swapping and selling. I actually needed a set for my first 6 cavity mold that was also in route. These were advertised as the old style, and I suppose they are, because even with all the different holes they don't come close to fitting the lee. This is not a problem as I have a new to me NOE 2c mold that I needed handles for.

The last holes do line up and work on the NOE and it closes the mold and locks tight which I like, but when closing them you either have to jiggle them or use yoru hand to line up the pins on the mold. Is this normal, it seems it would put undue wear on the pins and alignment holes, which I don't need to do.
I haven't tried them on lyman molds yet to see if they work better on them.

country gent
09-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Starmac try setting them on a flat metal surface whenn closing them. I use a paint tray for catching bullets I leave the rolled edge showing and rest the mold blocks on it when closing and they do very well. I even do this now with regular handles to insure alighnment. I have 2 sets of the cabin tree handles now and really like them. But I have disability issues and these close with the same tension everytime. One thing I also did was to modify the opening lever by adding a 3/4" wood dowel over it. Insulates the metal from my hand and gives a better "reach for me to flip open and to close.

starmac
09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I assume this is common to the way they are built then. The metal plate would be no problem and would keep it from damaging the mold. Even though I haven't used them, I had allready planned to add a dowel to the handle to insulate it. Thanks.

country gent
09-16-2014, 05:59 PM
unlike regular handles when you open the cabin trees is more of a snap than just opening. I also only hold just the big handle normally