PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Rifle Mfg. 45-110 Old Reliable Barrel

thekidd76
09-15-2014, 08:37 PM
If you've seen any of my other S&S posts recently you know I'm trying to help an elderly neighbor move a lot of her husband's collection to help her out. I found a barrel it looks like he purchased from someone quite a few years back, and I can't find anywhere online to get a value on it. It's marked Shiloh Rifle Mfg. Old Reliable, Calibre 45 2 7/8 on the top, and underneath are the numbers 8304 and under that the 45 100. It looks to be in very good shape, bluing is all good, some ever so slight surface rust that could be knocked off very easily. If anyone can point me in the right direction online, or help me out with a value I would appreciate it.

powderburnerr
09-15-2014, 09:13 PM
with the old reliable on the barrel it is a pre Bryan barrel , and could be any mfgrs, barrel , it was taken off the rifle with the 8xxx serial no.
value could be from 100 to what someone would pay , it is light for the calibre so will not be a real hot seller ,
you might cruise gun broker and others for similar items

kootne
09-15-2014, 09:29 PM
just a comment on powderburnerrs post regarding manufacter of the barrel.
I'm pretty sure any barrel that came out of Wolff's shop was made by his people. He certianly had all the equiptment to do it.
kootne

thekidd76
09-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys…hopefully someone who could use one will come along.

powderburnerr
09-16-2014, 09:57 PM
kootne,
if that was a wolfgang barrel it would have a wolf head stamped on the bottom flat ,I dont see that on that barrel , , I have a couple just like it ,and the shiloh stamp is followed by a wolf head , then the cal and s/n .one of my barrels is in the 6900 range and is a C Sharps rifle from the early 80s.

kootne
09-17-2014, 07:20 PM
powderburnerr,
I think that barrel is one made after the divorce between Wolff and John, but before John served papers on Wolff for using the "Old Reliable" stamp that he had trademark ownership of. I'm making that guess based on seeing "Shiloh" on the top flat and not seeing "C. Sharps etc." stamped on the top and the 8xxx serial is only slightly higher than a 79xx gun I owned that was post C. Sharps and before Wolff had to take "Old Reliable" off his barrels. At this point in time the gun is 20 years gone so I couldn't verify a wolf head stamp but don't remember one. Some I 'spose our grandkids will be dickering over relative comparative values of these different "generations" of Shilohs.
kootne

powderburnerr
09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
that was my guess as well , john got barrels where ever and I thought it would have been right in that changeover era beween shiloh/ wolf and schofstall . or pre lawsuit,as you say

thekidd76
09-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Well if anyone is looking for a barrel like this let me know.

nhrifle
09-19-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm interested in it if you can get an asking price. I don't have any idea what it is worth, though, sorry.