PDA

View Full Version : black powder pistols conversions?

johnson1942
09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
is the 38 long colt conversions able to use 38 special cases? and are they able to shoot .357 bullets? sorry for being so dense on this subject but i need all the info i can get before makeing a purchase of the same. i really would like a .38 over a .45 but the 38 long colt leaves me a little scared as to avail. of brass and bullets. thanks before hand. hope if have the right section but these are wheel guns also.

.22-10-45
09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
It depends..I think the new made Uberti & others use the correct barrel groove dia. for regular .38 Spec. ammo. The drop-in cylinder conversions of existing percussion revolvers such as the Kirst Konversion Cylinders are chambered for the .38 Long-Colt and require either a heeled type or a hollow-base type bullet..just as the originals did..the problem is the nominal .375 groove dia. of the .36 percussion revolver and the use of the existing nominal .375 dia. charge holes in the cylinders. Since a .38 Spec. case has the same dia. of the Long-Colt..it might chamber..the longer length might or might not be a problem..these are usually bored straight thru..but you would still have the problem of the oversized groove dia. commercial swaged HBWC are available and shoot fine if you don't want a custom mould. In my 1972 era Colt 1851 navy .36, using the Kirst .38 L.C. cyl., gun shoots a bit high at 25yds. but will put the Rapine hollow-base bullets in a ragged 1 1/2" group using light charges of Bullseye.

bedbugbilly
09-15-2014, 08:15 PM
The Ubertis and the Piettas - if made as a conversion (such as Richards & Mason) all have barrels that are .357 the same as modern day revolvers. The only time you should run into a problem is if it's a BP revolver that has a conversion cylinder (unless it's been rebarrele). BP pistols (I'm talking .36 Navy caliber which is what you are talking about) have barrels (just as originals) that are first bored .360 and then rifled - they require a HB boolit that will expand in to the rifling.

I believe the conversions (that are made that way - i.e. Richards & Mason and the 1872 "open top" Colt not really a "conversion" but made on a Navy frame) are chambered in 38) are made for 38 Colt Long/38 Spl.

In regards to brass - 38 Colt Long is out there - Starline makes it as well as other companies. You also have the option of using 38 Colt Short as well. Originally, the 1851 Conversions (originals - Richards & Mason) were chambered in 38 Colt Short. A different cartridge than what we load up today as they required a "heeled bullet" for the larger bore. I load 38 Colt Short, Long and 38 Special. In the 38 Colt Short/Long I used a 121 gr RN bullet cast in a Lyman 358242 mold. In the 38 Spl. I use a 158 gr RN cast in a Lyman 358311.

I love the 38s and just bought a Uberti Bisley in 357 to play with all three cartridges. I originally planned to purchase a Uberti 1872 open top but that has to wait as I wanted to try a Bisley.

The 38 Colt Short was the parent cartridge for the 38 Colt Long that was designed to be used in the later Colt DA revolvers. The 38 Colt Long became the parent for the 38 Spl. which in turn was the parent to the .357 Magnum.

Go to Wikipedia and take a look at the Short, Long and Special. If you can't find 38 Colt Long, you can always trim 38 Spl. to that length. For all three of the cartridges (Short/Long/Special) I size my slugs to .358 and just tumble lube them in Alox/Paste Wax - never have a leading problem. I load over Bulls Eye, Red Dot and Unique for smokeless and also load BP cartridges in all three case lengths.

I own two Ubertis and a Pietta (2 BP Navies and the Bisley). All are very nice revolvers and well made, good fit and finish. Check out what you like on the Uberti, Cimmarron and Taylor sites. If what you like is chambered in 38 spl. - it gives you the option to play with the 38 Colt Short/Long an Special. Lots of bullet designs to play with. All I shoot is cast and I never load "hot". Lots of fun!

Good luck!

bedbugbilly
09-15-2014, 08:19 PM
johnson1942 - here's a link to the thread I posted on my Uberti Bisley in .357. It has photos of the pistol which will give you an idea of the nice quality that Uberti offers. You should be able to expect the same in whatever model you decide on (if looking at Uberti)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252523-A-new-Uberti-SA-quot-Bisley-quot-my-beginning-quot-review-quot

6.5 mike
09-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike V's sixgun book has a good write up on using B/P in the long colt. Also has info on the different boolit types.

partisan39
09-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Hi Roger,

Here are a few of my Kirst conversions. The 1860 Army bobber in 45 Schofield, my Pietta 1851 Navy London with 38 Long Colt & 41 Long Colt convertible cylinders and my 1848 Wells Fargo in 32 & S&W. .22-10-45 is correct, hollow base .358 is needed to meet the grooves or heeled base bullets best for conversions with .375 bores. I've played with heeled base 41 Colt loading but not in the 38 LC's. I find the hollow base .358 mold to do the job well. Easier to load too. I made the mistake of loading my first 38 LC's with standard flat base 125 flat nose .358. Let's just say they were rather mild. I don't think the lead ever met the barrel. I shoot the 38 LC's and 41 LC's in the same 1851 navy barrels . They expand a little with the 38's, and squeeze a little with the 41 LC's. Jay at Kirst Konversions said it was safe to shoot in my conversions. So far, after around 500 rounds through them, I'd have to agree with him.

http://www.partisan39.com/hosted/cb01.jpg (http://www.partisan39.com/hosted/cb01.jpg)
http://www.partisan39.com/hosted/cb02.jpg
http://www.partisan39.com/hosted/cb03.jpg

johnson1942
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
thanks guys, going to a lot more research and all of you have helped. all the guns that were posted were the prettiest things ive ever saw in a handgun. makes me want one even more.