PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336CS

JSH
09-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I ran across one of these, noticed it was ballard or standard rifling. Any input would be appreciated. It is not DT for scope or base, nor did it look like it would take a tang sight. The rear buckhorn is not bad, just looking for somthing a little better with out having to "hurt" it.
Jeff

9.3X62AL
09-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I have kinda the same deal going on with a Marlin 94 CCL in 32-20, a fairly new rifle. It has the D&T for scope base, but none for the receiver/aperture sights I would prefer to mount.

Older Marlins were often D&T for the receiver sights--are you sure your receiver isn't so arranged? I'm not concerned about taking tools to this rifle as you are with yours--just would prefer to not have to do so.

bdoyle
09-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Deputy Al,
Williams is configuring the FP to use D&T on the top of the receiver on the new marlins. Got one on my 1895ss and it looks like the older design but the screws are on top.

JSH,
The older design 'should' have the receiver side D&T'd. At least my 336a(1950) is.

Brian

9.3X62AL
09-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread here.......

B Doyle--is that the arrangement where the aperture assembly either protrudes behind the receiver, or is too far forward? If it's the assembly I'm thinking of, it could use a re-work all right.

bdoyle
09-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Deputy Al,
Not sure what you are asking here. The williams FP is very similar to the Lyman 66la, maybe a bit wider. The new design sits in the same location for a receiver sight except that it uses the screws on the top of the receiver rather that the side. I didn't notice a difference in the location of the apperture. Can't dig em out now... I'm getting to play home contractor.

Brian

bdoyle
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Jeff,
I have had pretty good luck with tang sights on marlins just using the one screw the holds on the stock. Yeah, you might lose zero if you take the stock off but I never really noticed.(don't take the stock off for fun) I have used the marbles and lyman this way for cowboy action with the 1895 and 1894. I prefer the Lyman as it is a bit slimmer but lacks windage adjustment. The tang has very close to a .5 radius along the lenght. This self aligns the sight to the tang. At least you could try it out this way before 'hurting' it.

Brian

JSH
09-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Al, funny ya mentioned the 32-20, they had one sitting there with it. It was a more modern rifle, lol, had a more modern price too, $400+ if I recall. Hijacked, around here? Never crossed my mind Al. I figure if folks have questions, may have been one that never crossed my mind.
Brian, I looked at the side plate and I only saw one screw there. I kind of thought too that most were D/T for seciever style sights. There was nothing on the top any where as far as screw holes. Then ya have to go and tell me the rear tang will work with one screw, damn, almost had talked myself out of it too.
Now, will this one shoot better than a micro. Or will that all fall back into how it is throated. I would think the early vintage Marlins would matbe be a little better in that area.
Also, what does "CS" stand for? Cast shooter, cat shooter, can't shoot, confederate states........................
i know I know, go over to the Marlin board, I would just as soon trust you fellas here, a lot of knowledge and a lot of fun.

Jeff

bdoyle
09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Jeff,
As far as I know CS means 'carbine safety' which has normally as MG barrel. Have you looked at the serial # for a manfacturing date? I has a 336a that was made in 1950 and it has a letter 'G' at the start of the SN. It also has wavey lines on the top of the receiver. There is a list on the Marlin board that lists all the SN vs Date.

Deputy Al,
Hope this helps...

Brian

9.3X62AL
09-18-2005, 09:48 PM
That helps. The guidebook says the M-94 requires a hammer extension, so I'll look at the two rear screw locations on the receiver and see how that assembly centers. I might have been thinking of the WGRS assembly.

imashooter2
09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
That helps. The guidebook says the M-94 requires a hammer extension, so I'll look at the two rear screw locations on the receiver and see how that assembly centers. I might have been thinking of the WGRS assembly.

Al, before you try to mount the FP-336, 5D-336 or WGRS on a Marlin 1894, read this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=285&page=1&pp=20

Bottom line is any of those sights listed will hang off the back of an 1894 receiver about 3/8 of an inch.

9.3X62AL
09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
The rearmost of the two rear scope mount screws is about 1/4" from the rear edge of the receiver, so the FP would "overhang" like the WGRS. Drat.

Interesting thought, the radius of the upper tang helping to align the tang sight housing arrangement. That's worthy of consideration, for sure.

bdoyle
09-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Deputy Al,
Drug out my 94 and a 336. From the back of the receivers to the center of the first screw, 336- .625, 1984 - .200. So now I see what you were concerned about. But what about mounting the sight in the 'second' screw? The second is .700 vs the 336s .625 Yeah, you would need a third screw d&t'd but it then wouldn't be just hangin. Just a thought...
Brian

Oh well, just went back and read the whole thread instead of just looking at the pictures. Spoke too soon...

Buckshot
09-19-2005, 03:09 AM
............JSH, FWIW GPC has NOS Marlin 36CS barrels in 30-30 sans sights for a good price. I know you don't need a new barrel but thought I'd mention it. I have a M93 that had a trashed 26" tapered octagon barrel I gave to 45Nut, and screwed on one of the 36Cs's.

It's a round tapered barrel so I had to get a new fore end and will have to modify the nosecap. I cut the magazine back to half length and the new buttstock is cut for the old curved buttplate, so it'll be a real hermorphedite!

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
I recalled the text from that earlier thread as soon as Ir ead it--I was hoping that Williams might have re-designed the critter specifically for the 94's. Oh, well. It will be a while before the need really arises for the receiver sight, going to do some load testing with a scope sight first.

JSH
09-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Arghhhhhhhhhhh, you guys are hard on a fellow. The Cat Shooter followed me home tonight. Got a better deal on it than the previous fellow wanted to give me. Now to get rid of the extra one with the fugly birch stock.
Jeff

JSH
09-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Could one of you gents give me a link to the Marlin board.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

bdoyle
09-19-2005, 11:38 PM
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/

Not the board that marlin was running but pretty darn close.
Brian

JSH
09-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Well it looks to be a 1948 if I am reading my # right. E35XXX
Also it does have the two screw holes for a rear sight on the side of the action.
Jeff

9.3X62AL
09-20-2005, 10:27 AM
JSH--

That one looks "good to go", all right.

Well it looks to be a 1948 if I am reading my # right. E35XXX
Also it does have the two screw holes for a rear sight on the side of the action.
Jeff

Denver
09-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Howdy All,
I have one of the AO ghostring aperture sights on a '52 vintage 336RC that I recently bought. It was dt'd for a scope mount and the sight uses the 2 rear holes to mount it on top of the receiver. Very compact and sturdy. Adjustments are made by loosening the set screws that hold the peep. Brownell has them for about $60 retail.

I have a Marlin CB in 357 mag that I use it on also. It's one of the later guns without the holes for a sidemount receiver sight.

Ron