PDA

View Full Version : My SDB setup

Mike W1
09-14-2014, 11:57 PM
I load sitting on a stool so I don't need a strong mount, just the bins I use for bullets and cases close at hand. A piece of 1/4" plywood with Dremel cuts for the bin legs and I was in business. The cartridge counter as purchased from Dillon tripped with the crimp die. Always going out of adjustment (or I never set it up right). Added a little aluminum arm to it, made a little stand and mounted it on the plywood. It now trips when the powder measure activates. End of that problem.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/SSBCluge_zps85794196.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/SSBSetup_zps7709d1fe.jpg

Pressman
09-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Mike that is a nice setup. I like it. It has that homey look.

Ken

mdi
09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
With no offense intended to the OP (nice set up BTW), I sure wish folks would write/type out complete names. When a poster is writing up the post, they have all the info in their head so any abbreviation/acronym is perfectly clear. I was reading about bullet lubes and had no idea what SDB was. Mebbe if I had Dillon on my mind it would have registered, but what is SDB?? Small Die Backup? Super Deluxe Bullets? Second Decade Blockage? Semi-Debatable Babble?

I realize it's Square Deal B, but it jes kinda irks me when unknown, or known only to the poster, acronyms are used (it only takes a couple seconds to type out a name, even with my two finger method).

MikeW1, MOFMIR (my apologies for my invasive rant)...

DeanWinchester
09-16-2014, 12:55 PM
I didnt know what an SDB was either till i clicked on this thread.

Not to point fingers here but, while we on the subject, just what is an mdi?

hermans
09-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Nice setup Mike! I loaded thousands of 45's with mine, it really is a little gem. I am sure the counter will only be used in the beginning, once your start to crank that SDB.......you just do not want to stop, enjoy!

Mike W1
09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
You are correct, my bad as they say.

With no offense intended to the OP (nice set up BTW), I sure wish folks would write/type out complete names. When a poster is writing up the post, they have all the info in their head so any abbreviation/acronym is perfectly clear. I was reading about bullet lubes and had no idea what SDB was. Mebbe if I had Dillon on my mind it would have registered, but what is SDB?? Small Die Backup? Super Deluxe Bullets? Second Decade Blockage? Semi-Debatable Babble?

I realize it's Square Deal B, but it jes kinda irks me when unknown, or known only to the poster, acronyms are used (it only takes a couple seconds to type out a name, even with my two finger method).

MikeW1, MOFMIR (my apologies for my invasive rant)...

Garyshome
09-16-2014, 11:20 PM
I count the primers.

mdi
09-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Mike, no need to apologize.

BTW Dean; an mdi is a Most Dedicated Individual. A wise old feller steeped in the traditions of the Old South (Southern California) and dedicated to righting wrongs all over the Universe (now Southern Oregon). A follower of Jesus Christ, and lover of American Freedom (Can you hear "God Bless America" playing in the backgound?). As I've said on many occasion (at least twice); "I'm jest an ol' country boy tryin' to get to Heaven"...

pjames32
09-21-2014, 06:55 PM
SWMBO just let me by another SDB=she who must be obeyed (wife) just let me by another Square Deal B.
My first SDB was purchased 25 years ago and has loaded many thousands of 40 S&W and 45 ACP rounds. I bought a second so I could dedicate one to small primers and one to large.
The only downside from my viewpoint is the size & cost of dies-they are specific to the SDB.
YMMV (your mileage may vary)
pjames32

seagiant
09-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi,
Nice setup,I've had a few of these. My question now is is this loader still a "square deal" at it's present price point???

Remember it is a bit of a pain to change dies and it does not use regular dies also! Just wondering if it's gone over the line for what they want for it now???

jmorris
09-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Back when they cost $130 they were just the SD the "B" added the failsafe rod and linkage and the low primer alarm. Dillon upgraded both of mine for free when they made the changes.

This might interest some SD lovers.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/th_MOV02172.mp4 (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/SDcasefeed/MOV02172.mp4)

seagiant
09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi,
Well...at $379 I think I would stick with my old RL-300's! Having big hands and being left handed it works better for me. In the old days when they were more affordable people would have a SDB in every pistol caliber they loaded!

Once again not putting the loader down by any means just see that in the past 10 years things have changed!

44Vaquero
09-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Seagiant,

$379.00 is the base price!! Price as shown on the Dillion web site is $555.75! I am not knocking the SDB either, but "In for a penny, in for a pound" I would rather have a 550. Full size production, and standard dies etc!

"In the old days when they were more affordable people would have a SDB in every pistol caliber they loaded!" You are right things have changed I know people who now run multiple Lee Pro-1000's and are perfectly happy with them (@ less than $200.00 each). There is even a gentleman around here that runs 5 or 6 Load Masters.

Dillion is just slowly pricing themselves out of the low end market, the SDB is still there if you really want one!

myg30
09-27-2014, 11:47 AM
I lucked out and bought a used SDB Dillon many years ago fer $175. Purchased used die sets $45-65 back then too on different forums. But, When I first ogled over getting into reloading the SD was $99 in 1992-93 if I recall ? Is the price today proportionate with over all inflation ? Bread,milk,coffee, 22 LR ??

Today if starting new id go for the Lee because of the standard dies and ability to load rifle as well as pistol. Might even have a couple fer the guns I shoot most.
I have needed a part or two over the years and sometimes had to pay shipping that was more than the price of the part so I try to combine on the order just like I order components from other distributors.

I do my own repairs, don't abuse any of my tools so for me the full service warranty has never paid off. For some it's saved them $$ to send off for rebuild of press and worth the price.

It is a really awesome press and I enjoy it. Would I buy one new today, no.

Just my $.02 worth, Mike

Mike Kerr
10-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Mike,

I think your set up looks cozy and functional enough. I also like your avatar. Is that Lab yours?
Check my Avatar. Mine are gone now but they gave me years of companionship (13 years for one and 14 years for the other).

VHoward
10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I lucked out and bought a used SDB Dillon many years ago fer $175. Purchased used die sets $45-65 back then too on different forums. But, When I first ogled over getting into reloading the SD was $99 in 1992-93 if I recall ? Is the price today proportionate with over all inflation ? Bread,milk,coffee, 22 LR ??

Today if starting new id go for the Lee because of the standard dies and ability to load rifle as well as pistol. Might even have a couple fer the guns I shoot most.
I have needed a part or two over the years and sometimes had to pay shipping that was more than the price of the part so I try to combine on the order just like I order components from other distributors.

I do my own repairs, don't abuse any of my tools so for me the full service warranty has never paid off. For some it's saved them $$ to send off for rebuild of press and worth the price.

It is a really awesome press and I enjoy it. Would I buy one new today, no.

Just my $.02 worth, Mike
If you had called Dillon on the phone and told them which parts were broke or worn out, they would have sent you the parts for free. They have done it for me several times. I never pay for parts or the shipping.

Mike W1
10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
He's been gone 6 years now and is still missed. Koda is his replacement, not the same but quite a character to say the least. They're all different for sure and this one Mama has spoiled rotten and has the run of things and piles of stuffed toys all over the living room most of the time.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1450-2.jpg

Mike,
I think your set up looks cozy and functional enough. I also like your avatar. Is that Lab yours?
Check my Avatar. Mine are gone now but they gave me years of companionship (13 years for one and 14 years for the other).