PDA

View Full Version : Little bit of excitement the other morning

Bullshop Junior
09-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Little bit of excitement the other morning getting ready to go to work. 4am, I walked out and started up the truck, flipped on the headlights on and walked back inside to get my lunch ext. walked back out, flipped off the porch light, and headed to the truck. I was carrying my lunch bag in my right hand, and the Springfield 1911 in my left hand in a holster. Opening the door on the truck, I heard something coming up behind me. Looked to see two eyes glowing in the dark, just in time to see them drop for a charge. Dropped everything in my right hand, reached pulled off the holster and let it go, racked the slide lined what I could see of the front sight up between the eyes and emptied the magazine. Bout a 300lb sow hog piled up right at my feet. Load as a 240gn HP swaged by BTSniper from 40s&w cases over 4gn on unique. I tell you what, that will wake a feller up real quick. Four rounds went into the head, one in the right shoulder and 2 in the chest.

Couple of pics of the bullets. Didn't get one of the hog as it was dark out and I was now running late for work and didn't have time to go look for a flash light. The two bullets were pulled from her chest.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/14/7eb9c52bd25d1a7f1c7a33dcfe725f08.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/14/8a826155306aa9db8452c3d01fd36f18.jpg

She had a pretty scraped up shoulder and a good rip underneath. I think she got run over by a truck and the wounds were getting infected and that's why she was irritated and charged. What ever the reason, glad I had a gun with me.

TXGunNut
09-14-2014, 11:56 PM
I'll bet that ticked off the neighbors, lol.

Bullshop Junior
09-14-2014, 11:57 PM
I'll bet that ticked off the neighbors, lol.

I never heard anything, not even from the landlord when I dropped off rent money today.

kopperl
09-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Didn't help the pig's day either!
Glad you weren't hurt.

Dryball
09-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Ya ought ta write it up and send it to the NRA to put into the armed citizen.

9.3X62AL
09-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Miss Piggy was very impolite. Hell of a spate of fine shooting, in any event--good on ya, Dan'l.

Possumcop
09-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Good shoot!
And pretty darn good bullet performance as well!

gtgeorge
09-15-2014, 05:14 AM
What color do pig eyes glow in the dark? So far I've never seen them reflect.

Congrats on protecting yourself and glad it worked out and was a good test of what you carry.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 06:36 AM
What color do pig eyes glow in the dark? So far I've never seen them reflect.

Congrats on protecting yourself and glad it worked out and was a good test of what you carry.

I wouldn't say glow. It was more of just what I could focus on in the low light cast by the taillights of the pickup.

6bg6ga
09-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Was this within the city limits? If it were within the city limits where I live I would have been arrested for discharging a firearm within the city limits. They don't care about a persons life just the damn laws. Good shooting.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Was this within the city limits? If it were within the city limits where I live I would have been arrested for discharging a firearm within the city limits. They don't care about a persons life just the damn laws. Good shooting.

Not in city limits. I live about 15 miles out of town.

DougGuy
09-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Good shooting, but moreso, QUICK thinking and QUICK reaction! Once again, here's proof that shot placement is KEY!

HangFireW8
09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Snowhog? Montana? BULLShop?

I'd at least like to see pics of ribs on the grill and hams in the smoker.

44man
09-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Darn good work! Don't trust meat from an injured animal. Pure poison.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Snowhog? Montana? BULLShop?

I'd at least like to see pics of ribs on the grill and hams in the smoker.

I am actually down in sunny Texas.

I also just dumped the body. I didn't have time to deal with it before work, and with the infected shoulder I figured it wasn't worth it. Lots more hogs out there.

reloader28
09-15-2014, 09:22 AM
You musta been practicing. Didnt you get shot in the foot awhile back???:kidding:

Seriously though, good shooting.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 09:47 AM
You musta been practicing. Didnt you get shot in the foot awhile back???:kidding:

Seriously though, good shooting.

I'm never going to live that down...,

43PU
09-15-2014, 10:14 AM
how did you make those rounds for the 45?

BruceB
09-15-2014, 10:15 AM
You are far from being alone in that foot-shooting difficulty.

Back in the Territories many years ago, an older gent (plenty old enough to know better) leaned his rifle against his truck. He had a big Labrador mutt cross-breed in the bed, all eager to get out and bouncing around.

The dog's exertions caused the truck to move a bit, which in turn caused the rifle to start sliding sideways....

When it hit the ground, it was pointed directly at the side of the ol' gent's foot. The rifle fired on impact.

He spent a LONG time, a year or more, recovering from that gunshot to the foot.

The rifle was a pre-'64 Model 70..... in .375 H&H!

Just Duke
09-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Well done!

MBTcustom
09-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm never going to live that down...,
In my book, you have totally redeemed yourself.
Well done.

Goatwhiskers
09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
That's why I always carry in condition 1, condition 2 if I judge myself to be in a more or less "civilized" situation. GW

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
how did you make those rounds for the 45?

The bullets were swaged by Brian (BTSniper) with the tools he makes. He sent them to me to try in my Puma 454 carbine. I wasn't very impressed with them in that gun as they tended to come apart and not be too accurate. So I saved them and decided to try them in the 1911. They are a bit heavy for the 45acp but are the most accurate bullet ai have tried in this gun so far.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
You are far from being alone in that foot-shooting difficulty.

Back in the Territories many years ago, an older gent (plenty old enough to know better) leaned his rifle against his truck. He had a big Labrador mutt cross-breed in the bed, all eager to get out and bouncing around.

The dog's exertions caused the truck to move a bit, which in turn caused the rifle to start sliding sideways....

When it hit the ground, it was pointed directly at the side of the ol' gent's foot. The rifle fired on impact.

He spent a LONG time, a year or more, recovering from that gunshot to the foot.

The rifle was a pre-'64 Model 70..... in .375 H&H!

That hurts to even think about. I thought mine was bad, I was back up and walking in three days.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
That's why I always carry in condition 1, condition 2 if I judge myself to be in a more or less "civilized" situation. GW

I'm not sure what you mean by condition 1 and 2. I don't trust safety's. I didn't like them before, and after shooting myself I trust them even less.

runfiverun
09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
less/no exposed lead at the tip would lead to less expansion and more penetration.
I found I could get away without notching the brass if I exposed that much lead at the nose.
if I run the lead just up to the tip of the jaxket, notched it and used the small hollow point pin I could get a little better penetration and excellent expansion too.
then there is varying the cores alloy, annealing, the deep hollow point, rolling the jacket over the tip, adding a filler to the hollow point...
ohhh so many variables with one of Brians 40 to 44 or 40 to 45 die sets.

oh good job on the shooting in the dark-thirty under duress.

43PU
09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
opps I did read that in the OP sorry.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 02:18 PM
less/no exposed lead at the tip would lead to less expansion and more penetration.
I found I could get away without notching the brass if I exposed that much lead at the nose.
if I run the lead just up to the tip of the jaxket, notched it and used the small hollow point pin I could get a little better penetration and excellent expansion too.
then there is varying the cores alloy, annealing, the deep hollow point, rolling the jacket over the tip, adding a filler to the hollow point...
ohhh so many variables with one of Brians 40 to 44 or 40 to 45 die sets.

oh good job on the shooting in the dark-thirty under duress.

I really want to get a set someday when I can afford it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Them brass jacketed swaged bullets (from "BT" dies) are awesome.
and Good Shootin !

TCLouis
09-15-2014, 10:48 PM
That's why it pays to be armed with something beginning with a 4.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Yea. Glad I didn't grab my 32 mag that morning.

1989toddm
09-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Good shootin! And good practice[emoji1]

Goatwhiskers
09-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Junior, with the 1911, condition 1 is carrying with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and manual safety on. Condition 2 is round in the chamber and hammer down, you have to program your mind to cock it. It's the way I was trained and carried when on duty and continue to do so today. Does make people look at you funny tho. The 1911 is perfectly safe in condition 1 as you have the manual and grip safeties. GW

Edit: Condition 3 is carrying with an empty chamber, hammer down. A pizz poor idea in my opinion.

Bullshop Junior
09-16-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't trust safety's. The ONE time did....well...we all know that story...

Jupiter7
09-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I don't trust safety's. The ONE time did....well...we all know that story...

As should any of us. 1911 can discharge when dropped with both safeties on. Your springer has reduced weight titanium firing pin as a modified drop safety. Either way, good shooting!

taco650
09-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Nice shooting! Glad you're ok and the mad hog is dead. Looks like those swaged slugs did their job too. Who knew a 40 case could be so useful LOL! I say that cuz my backup is a Glock 27 ha ha!

Anyway, glad you're ok.

DrCaveman
09-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow, nice reaction. Good results. Hard to imagine anything running up on me while near my truck anywhere in oregon. Maybe a rabid dog. I have always been amazed at the abundance of wildlife in texas, though ive never lived there or anywhere in the mississippi drainage. Only visited, and been thoroughly impressed. Those gigantic insurance company signs telling me to watch for deer seemed funny until i counted about 2 roadkill per mile of highway one time.

You made me realize there is a USE for those 75 or so cases of 40 s&w that i have scrounged up at shooting spots in the woods! The hell with buying HP jacketed, but if i can make em...