PDA

View Full Version : Really did it this time

jabo52521
09-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I worry about myself sometimes. While cleaning up out in the garage found a coffee can filled with .223's. Screwed in the decapper sizer die and did 6 cases. The seventh one stuck. I'm so used to carbide I didn't stop to think about how bottleneck dies don't have carbide. Yep it's stuck big time. Will drop off at machine shop tomorrow and hope for the best.

Garyshome
09-14-2014, 11:45 PM
It took me about 2 cases to start putting some kind of case lube on rifle cases.

Janoosh
09-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Put it in the freezer until tomorrow morning. Then use the press on it. It'll pull out. I did that with a 8 x57 case. Left it in the freezer for two days, case popped right out.

Bayou52
09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
I worry about myself sometimes. While cleaning up out in the garage found a coffee can filled with .223's. Screwed in the decapper sizer die and did 6 cases. The seventh one stuck. I'm so used to carbide I didn't stop to think about how bottleneck dies don't have carbide. Yep it's stuck big time. Will drop off at machine shop tomorrow and hope for the best.

I have a sneaking hunch that won't happen again anytime soon.....:)

Bayou52

500MAG
09-15-2014, 05:45 AM
I use a Lee decapping die for 223's with a dab of marvel mystery oil. If anything gets stuck I just smack the pin with a mallet to knock it back out.

zuke
09-15-2014, 07:20 AM
I use a Lee decapping die for 223's with a dab of marvel mystery oil. If anything gets stuck I just smack the pin with a mallet to knock it back out.

That's how their built to be used.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 09:05 AM
What brand die is it?

jabo52521
09-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Put it in the freezer until tomorrow morning. Then use the press on it. It'll pull out. I did that with a 8 x57 case. Left it in the freezer for two days, case popped right out.
You were right. Got off this mornng. Thanks. Broke out the lube pad first thing.[smilie=w:

dudel
09-16-2014, 11:45 AM
That's were a Lee Universal decapping die really shines.

Even with carbide 223 dies, lube is still recommended. Carbide is for longevity.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24498/catid/4/Dillon_Carbide_Rifle_Dies__Individual___Three_Die_ Sets_

"For high volume users, such as commercial reloaders, law enforcement agencies, and high power or service rifle competitors, we also offer .223 and .308 die sets with a full-length carbide sizing die. Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit to these groups of users."

Mk42gunner
09-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Look up a stuck case remover for the next time, when you pull the rim from the case. They aren't much more than a drill, tap, ¼-28 bolt and a spacer.

I had one of the RCBS kits at one time, until a friend offered me way to much money for it. Since then I have been making do with a deep well socket and a washer for the spacer.

For some reason it seems that the .223 is the easiest case to stick in a reloading die.

Robert

tja6435
09-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I stuck a 458 SOCOM (new from Starline, of course) recently in a Hornady sizer. I had plenty of imperial wax on the outside of the case but apparently needed more inside the neck, as it was the expander ball that was seriously stuck. I got the Hornady case remover, trilled and tapped the case and backed it out with the bolt and spacer. $2 per case hurts when lost/ destroyed

Janoosh
09-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Just stick the die in the freezer. Leave for a day or overnight. This works. Unless you're in a hurry and must load that cartridge that day. Some freeze spray might work (methyl cloride, I think).