PDA

View Full Version : Old ammo

fatelk
09-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Anyone else accumulate old ammo? I finally decided to go through some cans full of miscellaneous rounds I've been collecting/accumulating for a couple decades. It's going to be a big job. Part of me wants to put it in one great big pile and list it on Gunbroker- let someone else mess with it. I'm just not as interested as I used to be. Shipping would be a problem though; the whole works must weigh the better part of a couple hundred pounds.

So I think instead I'll pick out the worthwhile stuff. I already have a 50cal can separated with a lot of unique rounds. Few of these would interest a serious collector but I'll keep them anyhow. Then I'll pick out the junk like obvious reloads and the few that are deteriorating; pull them apart for scrap. Then the old but common and shootable stuff- lots of old (some WWII and earlier) 30-06, 8mm, .303 and .45acp. I have 100+ rounds of .45 from WWI and earlier. Those are too old and interesting to shoot, but still not that rare or valuable. You name it, it's probably in there.

I wasn't sure whether this should be in Our Town or Off Topic, so if you're a moderator and think it should be there instead of here, please move it. Thank you.

BrassMagnet
09-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Where you are would be a big issue.
Face to face is possible.
Some of us would like 30-06, 8mm, .303 and .45acp.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 12:16 AM
I would love to have it.

fatelk
09-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Sorry, I didn't really mean it as a for sale thread, more of just a discussion about how stuff piles up over the years. It will take me quite a while before I get to the point of selling or giving away any of it. A lot of the oddball stuff I'll keep for my kids just in case they're interested some day. I often have thoughts of getting rid of nearly all my old stuff that takes up too much of my time, but I never do.

So far I've found a couple boxes worth of 30/40 Krag; some shiny new-looking commercial, some military as old as 1904. There's some Australian .45acp. There's some nice shiny "U.M.C. 7 M/M" with a long cupronickel RN-FMJ that I expect is a lot older than it looks. The oldest I found is an inside primed 45-70 dated '82. I remember buying that one at a gun show a long time ago. A rimmed .236 Lee Navy? That can't be too common. A bunch of outside-lubed .38 S&W and .32 Long Colt. A bunch of .303 white tipped tracers dated '45. Worth keeping or just shooting ammo? I know they're likely too old to trace, but I still wouldn't take any chances shooting in dry weather.

Sometimes I get in the mood of cleaning up and getting rid of everything I haven't used in a long time, then it usually just goes back into storage for another decade. :(

manickernel
09-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Got any 577/450 MH? :-)

fatelk
09-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Yea, one round in the stuff I'm keeping. Here are a couple photos just for fun.

USAFrox
09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
That is quite the collection!

shooter93
09-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I have quite a pile myself but it is considerably smaller than it used to be. I pretty much had one of every American cartridge. I've limited my collection now to the English sporting rounds and "old west" American calibers. I gave the rest to a guy starting out in cartridge collecting. Now a days to get anything I need it's either buy it from places like Ammo One or go to the big cartridge shows.

MtGun44
09-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Shot a lot of that old UMC nickel 7x57 in my youth. I'd give a fair price for what you
have of it.

Bill

fatelk
09-15-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm sure I don't have near enough to justify shipping, maybe 20 or 30 rounds is all.