PDA

View Full Version : Tang and front sights

vikingson57
09-14-2014, 07:08 PM
I am confused with the different tang sights that are out there for BPCR shooting. What is a Soule sight? How is it different than a standard tang sight. What is the main benefit of the Soule over the other? What is the best type of aperture for the mid a mid range sight? What is the max distance for a mid range sight? How well do they work for hunting?

Front sights, I know that it is a good idea to have a spirit level for shooting for long distance but what about the sights that have windage adjustments as well, are they worth the extra money?

I know a lot of questions, but being new to the BPCR scene I could use some information.

Thank you all so much for your help so far.

Lead pot
09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
It's best that I show you illustrated what the difference is in sights.
https://www.montanavintagearms.com/vernier.html

https://www.montanavintagearms.com/soule.html

As far as using the tang sights for hunting, only you can find this out by going out and use one in low light conditions. It depends how good your eyes still are.

As far as how far a midrange sight will reach....That depends on your caliber, bullet and loads your using as well as how much drop you have on the wrist or your stock. The Rollers tend to have more drop in the tangs then the Sharps.
My Shiloh's in .40,.44, .45, and .50-2.5 will reach the 900 yard iron. The .44-90bn Sharps will just make the 1K.
But again you can turn the MVA base around and this will increase your range but it might be to high for the 100 yard line in some rifles.

country gent
09-14-2014, 08:51 PM
As Lead pot stated caliber load drop at wrist will all affect the range also barrel length as the longer a sight radious is the more adjustment it takes to achieve 1 min of elevation. Soule style sight have more windage each way some 30+ mins. Some sights have windage in the appeture block not as much but some. Some have a very crude windage bu loosening the appeture and sliding it. Most seem to perfer the soule style sights. The front globes are pretty much personal prefrence. I have one on my SHarps and at the start of the day I make my inital wind setting up front using the rear soules windage to fine tune. Since most fronts have 30+ mins of windage a windage front and soule rear gives 6- mins of wind adjustment for those really windy days. As to appetures your eyes and ambient light determine alot what you need there. A series of fixed appetures works and is light. A hadley is nice in the disc can be rotated thru 8 diffrent size appetures, the magnum Hadley is 11. The merit disk if available to fit your sight is infinitly adjustable like a camera shutter, not sure if its allowed in NRA sanctioned competition though. Alot of these are personal choices what works best for you. If possible visit a couple matches and introduce yourself around and look at the sights and set-ups being used. Most will ( when firearms can be handled or after the match) even allow you to look thru the sights and see for yourself. Another idea is to call MVA and talk to them ask questions and let them help you out. Thay are very knowledgable and want to to be happy with thier sights.

oneMOA
09-15-2014, 07:30 AM
The windage adjusted front sight sounds good at first glance, but first you should consider the intended purpose of your rifle and the distance you will be shooting. The windage front sight is higher than the non-adjustable and at longer ranges, may cause your cheek to be completely off the comb of the stock. As you raise the tang sight so moves your head. Check out the trajectory of your boolit. A sub-sonic 500 gr + boolit needs a lot of elevation to hit those rams. Some parts of the country are more windy than others which may factor in your decision.

vikingson57
09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
I see I wasn't exactly clear on my original post, my apologies. When asking about the sight for hunting I was looking to find out about the durability and whether they are appropriate for hunting. I use receiver sights on all my hunting rifles so the low light apertures is something I understand. Marble makes a fine hunting tang sight as does Lyman but I am not all that good with the idea of changing out sights for different shooting conditions. As for the difference between the Soule sight and the Vernier sight, it seems to me that the main difference is the scale for elevation and windage as well as the how they are adjusted with the Soule being more precise from what I can tell. Is that correct? As for the range of a mid range sight, many of the sights list a 600 yard range for the mid range with 1000 plus for the long range. I understand that there are many variables in what each is actually good for. The eye piece seems to be a personal one like most things. I prefer simple but the Hadley seems like a good choice... Thanks you for your assistance.

montana_charlie
09-15-2014, 03:02 PM
As for the difference between the Soule sight and the Vernier sight, it seems to me that the main difference is the scale for elevation and windage as well as the how they are adjusted with the Soule being more precise from what I can tell. Is that correct?
No.
The vernier tang sight will have the same kind of system for setting elevation as the Soule sight.
Both use a vernier scale.
The vernier tang sight will have no windage adjustment ... or a very small amount of windage adjustment which occurs by physically moving the eyepiece left and right on the staff.

On the Soule sight the entire staff is moved left and right ... and provides a much greater amount of change in windage.
The invention of the Soule sight was done to eliminate the need for an adjustable front sight.

CM