PDA

View Full Version : Is this load unsafe for cast bullet

Joseph
02-01-2008, 05:16 AM
Im shooting a 7mm wsm 130 grain cast bullet, I would like to use H4350 with 38 grains of podwer, this will give me 2377 fps & PSI 27741, my BHN is 22.7, I would like to know is that Lee Modern Reloading Manaul state never back down your load by 50%, this load is back down 38%, I don't know if this is still safe with this powder, dose anyone have loads in any powder for this caliber, Need Help.

Thank Joseph.:Fire:

Bass Ackward
02-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Welcome Joseph.

The short Mag case should keep your powder close to the primer for good ignition. If it doesn't you may need a fluffy filler to prevent any hint of "click, bang". That is what is needed to keep a smooth and consistent pressure curve. You can see if you have problems with a chronograph as it will show up as wild spreads between shots. So for the cast shooter, a chronograph is your best friend.

I am bass ackward of jacketed. I use magnum primers in this (low pressure) situation and work my load up with that. This usually means about 1 grain less than with a standard primer. Just so I can avoid fillers. When I go over 90% case capacity, I generally go to a pistol primer assuming I am still below 45,000 psi.

leftiye
02-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Don't use highly reduced loads with 4350. It's been blowing up guns for 30 years (probly much longer). Haven't done this myself, but a close friend did. I'd suggest some more research. Look either for a faster powder that won't exhibit unreliable ignition or a slower one that ignites easier.. Ironically, 4831 has been used a lot in top end cast bullet loads.

It's about the burning rate curve of the powder. You must stay above the pressure at the lower end of the manufacturer's published burning rate graph. Someone with Quickload should be able to tailor a load for you. BTW, I'd start with my lead that I desired to use (hardness) and use that to determine what pressure I wanted to create.

Leftoverdj
02-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't use highly reduced loads with 4350. It's been blowing up guns for 30 years (probly much longer). Haven't done this myself, but a close friend did.

With cast?

Jacketed are a different situation, and I don't doubt the blowups with jacketed.

leftiye
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Cast boolits will produce lower pressures (and more SEEs) with a given powder charge than jacketed bullets of the same weight will. Probly doesn't matter, as the load itself will be the culprit. Some cast boolits might blow out of the way of an SEE, and surely as sunrise, some won't. Want to be the test dummy? (No offence meant) Anyhoo, I'm not standing behind it.

felix
02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Anything slower than 4895 can be suspected of causing serious problems, no matter what the projectile is, when loaded below 90 percent of case capacity. Ball powders slower than 4198 will fit into this same category. ... felix