PDA

View Full Version : my 686 problems

bmortell
09-14-2014, 04:58 PM
so i been saving money for a 4 inch 686 finally went to my lgs and bought one. brought it home and first problem was the da pull was about 5 pounds due to aftermarket springs and peened over tension screw. so i put a small and large primer cup over the screw to get it too pull 8 pounds which made it reliable with cci primers. next i found that it leaded really bad like 20% coverage after 10 rounds. also noticed lead was 20% too slow and jacketed was 20% too fast. this intreaged me so i looked for problems i looked at throats there good size. i perfectly cleaned the barrel and copper out of it and noticed right after the forcing cone theres two triangle shaped raised portions in the grooves that werent machined out, like the rifling buttons broke during machining and quality control let it slip by. so i figured this explained leading and building overpressure with jacketed. i bought the gun used in good shape looks wise anyway for 650. can smith do anything if im not the original owner? i plan on taking it back to the gun shop and telling them it has a bore constriction and they sold me a gun thats not in safe firing condition. is this the right move also i removed the primer cups so its exactly as they sold it to me just with a cleaner barrel.

Love Life
09-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Call S&W and see what they say. They helped me out on a used gun before.

Petrol & Powder
09-14-2014, 06:38 PM
I'll second the advice to call S&W. You may have to pay for the repairs but then you'll know it's right. If you don't want to go that route, a competent gunsmith can probably sort it out but be careful who you take it to.
The early 686's were subject to a recall concerning the firing pin bushing and should be marked with a "M" under the crane if the gun was repaired by S&W. Either way, S&W is likely your best bet.
The L-frame Smiths are great guns. Strong, durable and accurate.
Good Luck!

slughammer
09-14-2014, 08:40 PM
For $650 I'd take it back if you can. Open your wallet for repairs and you'll be beyond the price of a new one quickly.

http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wesson-model-686-plus-pro-series-357mag38specialp-revolver-5in-satin-stainless-7-round-28386

Petrol & Powder
09-14-2014, 10:57 PM
For $650 I'd take it back if you can. Open your wallet for repairs and you'll be beyond the price of a new one quickly.

http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wesson-model-686-plus-pro-series-357mag38specialp-revolver-5in-satin-stainless-7-round-28386

I agree that it should be returned but I assumed that wasn't a possibility.