PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9s range report

Thumbcocker
09-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Mrs. Thumbcocker decided she needed a companion gun that was more compact than her various revolvers. After some internet research and talking with some LEO friends we looked at the LC9s. A you may have figured out by now polymer framed guns are not my favorite things. But the reviews were good and we got a good price so a purchase was made.
Mrs. Thumbcocker did her own dealing and asked intelligent questions. She also tried several small pistols for hand feel and decided on the Lc9S.

I decided we would give this little sucker a workout and we took to the range straight from the gun shop with no preliminary cleaning or other coddling. Ammo included some rnfmj as backup that was not needed, Lee 105 SWC over 4.5of unique, Lee 125 grn tc over 5.2 of power pistol, and our standard 9mm load of Lee 125 rnfp over 4.8 of power pistol. All boolits sized .358.

Aside from one failure to go into battery on the first magazine of 105's the little gun ate all boolit loads without a hiccup. The trigger pull is just amazing for a pocket sized auto and the sights are easy to see. Mrs. Thumbcocker was able to easily rack the slide. Getting the last round into the magazine was a bit of a problem but got better as the magazine springs loosened up with use.

Here is what totally floored me. This little sucker is accurate all out of proportion to its size. As in accurate enough to roll soda cans at 50 yards. Notice I didn't say hit soda cans at 50 yards, although a few were hit, but using Kentucky windage it was very easy to throw dirt on and move soda cans on the 50 yard berm. The surprising thing was you had to hold about 1 can low at 50 yards to come close. There is no elevation adjustment on the sights. When you consider that we are talking about a Tupperware pocket gun with a 3.2" barrel including the chamber you can see why I am impressed. The price was $350 + tax. You can't touch a good used Blackhawk around here for that.

A few nits to pick. The magazine release button could be a little more proud and the magazine could eject all the way. I am with Elmer on the issue of sights, I would really like to see fully adjustable rear sights as an option on pocket guns.

Positives.

1.) Mrs. Thumbcocker likes it and can shoot it and handle it effectively.

2.) It shoots boolits with no leading.

3.) It is not so expensive that it will not be shot.

4.) Excellent trigger pull.

5.) Good sight picture even for 54 year old eyeballs.

6.) Eats different loads with no complaints.

7.) Reliable as in over 200 rounds of boolits on it's maiden voyage.

8.) Did I mention that Mrs. Thumbcocker likes it?

9.) Big enough to get good control but small enough for pocket or other carry.

10.) With adjustable sights could very well serve as a woods tromping pistol.

Also we can load 9mm with boolits and scrounged brass for less than .22 rimfire.

BruceB
09-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Very interesting and timely report.

Just a few months ago, I bought an LC9 with the Crimson Trace laser installed. It has become my #1 carry gun, as well as being the one that lives in a Bianchi IWB holster on my wheelchair at home. The laser sight removes a lot of uncertainty about aiming in the poor light of an apartment at night..... anyone breaking in would be in BIG trouble.

My chosen factory load is the Cor-Bon 115 hollow-point. This load functions well in two of my three magazines, but the third one flatly refuses to feed them. I marked that mag clearly ("NO COR BON") and use it only on the range. The other two magazines are carried.

I'm in the middle of a cast-bullet selection process. The gun reliably cycles a Lyman 356634 (I think that's the number), but I disposed of the mould some time ago. Ammohead has loaned me his 6-cavity Lee 125 round-nose mould, so I'll soon be trying that bullet.

I have cast some RCBS 124 TC bullets, but I dislike their .355" diameter, preferring to size at .358" for 9mm. I'll load them as well for trials, but.....

My highly-experienced good friend 9.3x62Al speaks well of the Lee 125 truncated-cone design, too, so that's another candidate.

Thinking of my liking for fatter bullets in 9mm, there are several .38 designs in the Lee catalog that fall into the 125+/- weight class, with nose profiles that might work well in the autoloaders. I have an S&W M39 here as well, so the selected design will HOPEFULLY work correctly in both pistolas.

Decisions, decisions.

I think your wife made an excellent pistol selection. I'm impressed with my LC9, too and I bought my first 9mm handgun in 1960!