PDA

View Full Version : what to flux with

corey012778
02-01-2008, 03:07 AM
I am hoping to smelt my ww's down this weekend into ingots, depends on what time or if I got to the range and play with my new toy (TC new englander).
I have heard about all kinds of things you can flux with.

crayons, motor oil, candles, sawdust, canning wax, bees wax, and many more things I can't remember.

what would yall suggest?

Guido4198
02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Save the beeswax....
Try used motor oil. You might want to soften up those wheel weight ingots a bit if you're gonna load a New Englander unless you're using one of those plastic sabutt thingys...
Cheers..
Don

dromia
02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Just stir with a piece of dry wood, I use dowel offcuts.

EMC45
02-01-2008, 07:53 AM
I dip a big 'ol chunk of beeswax in mine to flux my ingots.

mroliver77
02-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I dip a big 'ol chunk of beeswax in mine to flux my ingots.

That'd be like fluxing with dollar bills around these parts. Beekeepers wont let go of any wax. They trade it for credit on new comb starters. :( Fellow at gunshow sell it for $10lb. :O
I flux with sawdust and or candle wax.
J

selmerfan
02-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Beeswax candle stubs would work, right? I have access to those for free, for my limited use anyway...
Selmerfan

10-x
02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Try a small pine limb stripped of bark, less than 1" in diameter. I try and get one that has the "sap" dripping . Guess any evergreen would work, and smells pretty good..:-D

imashooter2
02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I use candle stubs for the first flux before removing the clips and trash and sawdust thereafter when I can actually see the surface of the melt. Both are free waste products. I can't picture fluxing with something I had to pay for...

waksupi
02-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Try a small pine limb stripped of bark, less than 1" in diameter. I try and get one that has the "sap" dripping . Guess any evergreen would work, and smells pretty good..:-D

Interesting. When I get a new piece of dowel or ramrod to stir with, I get some rather interesting hissing and spitting. I would have thought a green stick would do this, and possibly cause a tinsel fairy incident. Moisture and molten alloys are not friends.
I do believe it would be better to stick with a dry stick, rather than something straight from the tree. If you are referring to using a pitch stick, I will agree with that, as long as it has been cut and dried a long time.

MT Gianni
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Beeswax candle stubs would work, right? I have access to those for free, for my limited use anyway...
Selmerfan

If it is a pure beeswax candle stub save it for when you make your own lube. We apparently have you hooked on the soft stuff and eventually you will move to the hardcore stuff. Gianni

bobthenailer
02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
ive tried marvel flux, candles , rosin, and i like sawdust the best ! its free , smells good and leaves a carbon layer on the top of the melt to stop oxidation of tin in the mix

corey012778
02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I am going to cast for both my Muzzleloaders with sabots. .452 boolits are what I am going to work on first. then as I find some soft lead resourses, I am going to cast other things.

EDK
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I've used everything I could think of or had access to. Motor oil or chainsaw chain lube for fluxing scrap/unknown metal to get the big impurities and now a second round with pine sawdust from the dust collector for the table saw at work.

The GAR flux from the folks in Patterson NJ was good stuff, but I haven't heard of them in a long time...and a d--- shame...good products and low prices for LYMAN and SAECO moulds. I wish I'd bought a couple more tubs...it sure worked well to flux while casting to get the dross back into the alloy.

:cbpour: :redneck:

corey012778
02-02-2008, 04:27 AM
I have a few dying pines around the house, and a family member next door has a pine groove. Would pine needles work?

just a thought, but I would have to hold off until next week to start. just had an ice storm.

EMC45
02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I get beeswax for 3 bucks a lb. I use it for a BW/Crisco lube and for fluxing!

PatMarlin
02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
PMWFCFF... thee best.. :drinks:

xr650
02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
PMWFCFF... thee best.. :drinks:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: plug :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

As soon as I use up mama's old candles, I'm gonna try some of your dust uhh sawdust that is.

PatMarlin
02-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey it's no sawdust Mr... :mrgreen:

-and it goes real good in you chocolate chip cookies too.. :holysheep

xr650
02-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk. :drinks:

corey012778
02-04-2008, 04:51 AM
thank guys,

I used saw dust on my first flux. man did it work.

on the second I used motor oil. I like my hair. what left of it.

to me the saw dust worked better and smelled better.

Blammer
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
for making ingots, I don't flux at all. no real need. Just skim the crap off top and go.

TAWILDCATT
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
go to food store and by some canning wax,thats as good as most.you need to flux to keep the tin in the mix.I have not tried sawdust to cover the melt after flux ing but think it would help with dross.I am going to try "search" for bees wax.I once looked in tele and found bees wax.when questioned what I wanted it for[white or yellow]I told them bullet lube.they said try ours and sent me a sample.It was just like I made and I bought 50lbs at $1. a lb.sold some to club members at $5 a block[lb]= 8 sticks at $2 commercial a stick was good deal for all. [smilie=1:
--:coffee:--:Fire:

azcoyhunter
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I use Marvelux, and I stir with a Juniper Limb (Good smell)

I have tried candle wax,

Clint

yarro
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I use Marvalux from Brownells. No smell, no mess, no flame. Works good. A jar lasts a long time.

-Yarro

hornetguy
02-07-2008, 06:11 PM
thank guys,

I used saw dust on my first flux. man did it work.

on the second I used motor oil. I like my hair. what left of it.

to me the saw dust worked better and smelled better.

You mean burnt sawdust smells better than burnt motor oil??

Who'd a thunk it? :mrgreen:

charger 1
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I am going to cast for both my Muzzleloaders with sabots. .452 boolits are what I am going to work on first. then as I find some soft lead resourses, I am going to cast other things.

Does ya got a mold special made or just a normal 452 pistol?

corey012778
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
a normal mold. I could not get a .452. I got a .429.

going to use green sabots with them. been shooting that size in jacketed anyway

9mm155grLRN
02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Marvelux, for sure!

brshooter
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I used Marelux about thirty years ago, it would turn to a nasty white glue like consistancy on top of the pot and it stuck to everything and was hard to remove. I know I followed the directions on the can. It acted like a salt and attracted moisture to what ever it stuck to if I remember right. I was using a ladle then and was not happy with it, expecially if it caused oxidation on my H&G molds. That never happened but I only used Marelux 3-4 times. I know everyone likes it but I did something wrong. I would put a spoonful in the pot and stir the hell out of for a couple of minutes and then a glob of this white stuff would appear. I stirred it even more and still it came back and stuck to everything.

azcoyhunter
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
When I use Marvelux

I get my lead really hot

Put a small blob, right in the center and let it melt

When it makes a crust I spoon it off

stir it with a stick, and re flux

Clint

hydraulic
02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
When some of the regulars on this site recommended fluxing with a stick I thought they were kidding. I've used Marvelux, beeswax, candlles, etc., but started using a stick and I can't believe how much better it works. I have a pile of old cedar siding boards lying out back so I split a piece about a foot long and a half inch wide. I stir the mix when I start and spoon off the dirt and then add a half a handful of kitty litter. Once in a while, if I think about it, I stir it again. My pot is clean, the lead flows better, and my Lee drip o matic doesn't drip as much. I think I'm not getting as much dirt in the outlet by fluxing with my cedar stick.

waksupi
02-09-2008, 12:12 AM
You young guys just keep hanging around us COF's. You may think we sound full of B.S. which we are, but we are serious about these weird little tips!

When some of the regulars on this site recommended fluxing with a stick I thought they were kidding. I've used Marvelux, beeswax, candlles, etc., but started using a stick and I can't believe how much better it works. I have a pile of old cedar siding boards lying out back so I split a piece about a foot long and a half inch wide. I stir the mix when I start and spoon off the dirt and then add a half a handful of kitty litter. Once in a while, if I think about it, I stir it again. My pot is clean, the lead flows better, and my Lee drip o matic doesn't drip as much. I think I'm not getting as much dirt in the outlet by fluxing with my cedar stick.

abunaitoo
02-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Ivory soap. I saw it someplace. Tried it yesterday. Cut slivers with a knife, and drop in the pot. No smoke, not a bad smell, seemed to work OK.
I normally use saw dust. Lost of smoke, not to good to breath, sometimes would flame up, worked OK.
Tried bees wax, parafin, wood stick, marvalux, oil. So far Ivory soap is the most pleasant to use.
Anyone else use it????

Guido4198
02-09-2008, 06:26 AM
The Ivory soap thing sounds interesting. It is known to have a relatively high Stearic acid content. I'm going to be smelting some pretty dirty roofing type sheet lead soon...I'll give it a try. I've been using used motor oil with excellent, albeit VERY smoky results( and yes...it still flares when hot..)
Thanks,
Don

hydraulic
02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
waksupi: your reference to us young guys is deeply appreciated because I had my 70th birthday last week. Thanks, I needed that.

HiVelocity
02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Corey,

LMAO! I can picture that happening. Its not funny, but it is.

I thought I saw on one of these forums to use Ivory soap shavings to flux.

Just my .02 worth.............HiVelocity

corey012778
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I am half bald to began with lol,

that was what I ment [smilie=1:

I have tried some of the other things. the stick and sawdust both work while. I can only cast out side and we have been having high winds so I could not do much. I am hoping to get some done tomarrow

leftiye
02-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Ivory soap is mostly stearic acid, it's been reported. Stearic acid is the ne plus ultra of fluxes IMHO.

felix
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Not stearic acid, but sodium stearate. Stearic acid plus a metal component. Sodium increases the melt temp of the lube. Strait up stearic acid does not. Aluminum stearate decreases the lube's ph dramatically, and allows the final lube to be used very effectively in BP applications. However, I won't advocate that a lube be made this way unless the user cleans his guns throughly after every single shoot. The acidic reaction can/will in time cause problems to the gun. ... felix

You can flux with either sodium stearate or stearic acid without hassle. Do not use any other stearate because the metal component might be unknown. Aluminum will cause shrinkage around the boolit's edges, much like zinc. On some molds and lead mixes, the gas check shank comes out too large and sharp. That can be fixed by rounding the shank edge mechanically, or by refluxing with aluminum stearate lube, but just for that pot's worth. ... felix

Pardini
03-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Save your bacon grease. I have been using it for years for the smelt. Works great and if you have nieghbors it dosen't smell like your cooking meth. LOL

454PB
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I've used Ivory soap for years, if I have some air flow. I works great, just put a bar in a quart ziplock freezer bag and beat the heck out of it with a hammer handle. It breaks down into a coarse dust that is then spread across the top of the melt. It smokes slightly, and that smoke is a bit acrid. Not nearly as smoky as parafin or beeswax, and does a much better job IMHO. I tried the wood dowel method, and had to leave the room due to the smoke, plus the dowel caught on fire.

My normal casting flux is Marvelux or the newer Frankford Arsenal equivalent, because I cast without any air circulation indoors mostly in the winter.

crabo
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
When I smelt I use chunks of old candles and a wooden stick. I flux 2 or three times after I skim the clips. I also want it to catch on fire. It seems like I get more dirt out of the melt by fluxing a couple of times and it may be my imagination, but it seems like more dirt comes out when it catches on fire... ymmv

When I cast I use a cheese grater and shave a little Ivory and dump in some of Pats wonderful, wooden, resin infested, famous flakes, or whatever he calls it, and I stir it in, running the stick around the sides and the pour post with my freebe paint stirrer stick from Home Depot. I don't flux my casting melt very often and I leave the junk on top, adding a little walnut media to cut back on the oxidation.

Crabo

trickg
07-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I know this thread is old, but I was curious about this subject and I wanted to post my own observations about it from watching my Dad, who probably forgot more about it in his lifetime than I'll ever know.

Dad fluxed with candle wax - pieces of old candles that he'd gotten out of the house, and usually the remenants of large candles that my Mom had burned down. I don't ever remember him fluxing with anything else.

There may be other methods that some might prefer, but I think I'll stick with the candle wax and for a few reasons.

Dad had specific reasons for everything he did with shooting and reloading, and was overall one of the smartest people I ever knew - he had to have had a specific reason for using candle wax. It could have been because he preferred it, or it might have been simply because it was good enough and it was next to free. His cast bullets were also excellent - why question those kinds of results? He had also been doing it long enough that undoubtedly he had tried fluxing with other things - he wasn't above trying something new if he felt it would work, but by the time I came around (He was 40 when I was born) he was well established in his practices and had probably already run the gamut on various methods of fluxing his lead melt, and he chose candle wax.

He'd drop in a lump, stir it in while it was melting and within the first couple of seconds, it would flame up. He'd continue to stir until it burned down, and the crud in the pot would swirl togehter in the center of the melt - he'd skim that off, dump it in a tin can he had sitting off to the side, and then get to casting. It seems like a pretty simple process to me.

testhop
07-21-2008, 04:14 PM
i have lot of things like moter oil(smellyand smokey ) pine nettles (wayless smoke and better smell) i guess you could use almost any waxy subsunce if you are out of the house
wives get upset so damn easy nowdays i now use canningwax as i was given 20 lbs of
it 3 years ago

Sprue
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
i have lot of things like moter oil(smellyand smokey ) pine nettles (wayless smoke and better smell) i guess you could use almost any waxy subsunce if you are out of the house
wives get upset so damn easy nowdays i now use canningwax as i was given 20 lbs of
it 3 years ago

Whats this moter oil stuff ? Dang, there's always something else to buy :mrgreen: Wonder if it will work on spell checkers:mrgreen::mrgreen:

357maximum
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
anything carbon will work..just don't use your finger or your[smilie=1: