PDA

View Full Version : 410 for taurus judge

qkdraw44
09-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Looking for loads in 410 for the taurus judge 2.5 or 3 " mag buck shot. We have been blessed with an early bear season in lower ny state. Hunting teeth and claws with a bow is fun. Having a cannon is smart and fun. Thanx
lenny
qkdraw44@gmail

mac60
09-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Is that even legal - carrying a firearm while you're bow hunting - I know it's not here where I'm at. For your purpose it's just my opinion, but you'd be far better served with a hot .45 Colt load.

35 shooter
09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I've only used the fed. buckshot loads in my bond arms derringer and they pattern great out to about 40 yds. I also want to load my own, but haven't so far.
I did however find a boolit that shoots great. I load the 298 gr. .454 lee hollow base minie ball over 6 gr. of unique. It shoots 2 to 3" groups at 21 and 25 yds. from my derringer.
My brother has already tried this same load in his taurus judge. His groups weren't as good as mine but were around 4" at 25yds. and consistent. Sizing the boolit to .454 might help accuracy from the judge because of bbl. cylinder gap but we shot these unsized as they fell from the mould at .456" to .457".
The hollow base swells out and fills the .460" 410 portion of the chamber pretty well evidently. My brother started at 5 gr. of unique and worked up to six gr. with no visible signs of pressure in his judge.
My bond arms is a strong action and can take a hotter load but i wouldn't recomend going hotter in the judge because of the cylinder walls and thin top strap. This is not a published load...use at your own risk.
It is however the most accurate boolit i've found so far in a 45/410 bbl. I tumble lubed with alox and it only gives very light leading that doesn't seem to build up and brushes out easily.

qkdraw44
09-14-2014, 10:04 PM
its legal only because it is a gun season for bear. bow only season is no guns

sandman228
09-15-2014, 10:18 AM
ive loaded 000 buckshot over 14.5 gr of 296 and shot it from a judge public defender. to each there own but if I had nothing between me and a pissed off bear but a Taurus judge I would either run like hell or bend over and kiss my a$$ goodbye depending on what kind of day im having .instead of doing 1 thing well the judge does multiple things poorly. I owned 1 and in my opinion its a novelty gun and the novelty wears off quick .im not trying to piss anyone off im sure theres guys out there who own a judge and love it and to each there own . I learned my lesson with novelty guns after I owned the ruger charger and the Taurus judge . im just glad I came to my senses before I bought a rossi ranch hand . again not trying to offend, these are just my opinions but I think theres allot out there who will agree with me almost ANYTHING else would be a better choice . if you insist on the judge you would better off using 45 lc self defence ammo