PDA

View Full Version : Small pistol magnum primers same as small rifle???

ShooterAZ
09-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Guys, I have been reloading for 35+ years and never heard this before. The lady at my LGS (Pistol Parlor/Reeder Custom Guns) just told me this over the phone when I called looking for small rifle primers. Is this true? Or is she mistaken? My supply of small rifle primers is dwindling precariously, but I have ample small pistol magnum. I need for use in 300 Blackout.

fecmech
09-13-2014, 03:35 PM
I tried to upload a table that I had on CCI primer energy but can't do it. However CCI SP primers have 5.5 ft lbs of energy,SR primers have 6.0 ft lbs and SP mag have 8.8 ft lbs. Small rifle mag have 7.2 lbs of energy. Looks to me like SP is a closer match than SPM, I realize energy does not tell the whole tale but hope this helps.

Shiloh
09-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Isn't there a difference in the thickness of the cup as well??

Shiloh

ShooterAZ
09-13-2014, 04:05 PM
So there is a degree of interchangeability? My SP magnum primers are CCI 550, and I'd just use them up if it's so. I'm a little concerned about cup thickness as well.

StratsMan
09-13-2014, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't say they are the "same", anymore than I'd say that a Remington Small Pistol primer is the "same" as a Winchester or CCI... the real question; Can you substitute Small Pistol Primers (or magnums) in 300 Blackout loads???

My answer: it depends on the powder... personally, because of the small case volume of 300 Blackout, I use Small Rifle primers to ignite rifle powder (AA1680) and Small Pistol Magnum primers to ignite magnum pistol powders (IMR4227, H110, W296). Yes, I have used SP Mag primers on the rifle powder as well. It went bang and cycled the action reliably. No perceived difference, but there may have been a velocity difference that I didn't notice.... Bottom line, if I only had SPM primers, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in any load I've tried in my 300 BO...

If the load is max pressure, there may be a problem from cup thickness. But if you're shooting a cast boolit or a sub-sonic load, then the pressures should stay low enough to not be a problem.

ShooterAZ
09-13-2014, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't say they are the "same", anymore than I'd say that a Remington Small Pistol primer is the "same" as a Winchester or CCI... the real question; Can you substitute Small Pistol Primers (or magnums) in 300 Blackout loads???

My answer: it depends on the powder... personally, because of the small case volume of 300 Blackout, I use Small Rifle primers to ignite rifle powder (AA1680) and Small Pistol Magnum primers to ignite magnum pistol powders (IMR4227, H110, W296). Yes, I have used SP Mag primers on the rifle powder as well. It went bang and cycled the action reliably. No perceived difference, but there may have been a velocity difference that I didn't notice.... Bottom line, if I only had SPM primers, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in any load I've tried in my 300 BO...

If the load is max pressure, there may be a problem from cup thickness. But if you're shooting a cast boolit or a sub-sonic load, then the pressures should stay low enough to not be a problem.

Thanks StratsMan, this is the info I needed. None of my loads are at max. My loads are primarily with H110/296 and IMR4227, supersonic. I will give it a go...and save my small stash of small rifle primers for later. Hopefully the supply situation will continue to improve.

skeet1
09-13-2014, 04:53 PM
ShooterAZ (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?22038-ShooterAZ),
Or....... you could go to Powder Valley and order some small rifle primers. They have CCI, Winchester and Tula in stock the CCI are selling at $26.50 per 1000. I would suggest buying 5000 to make the haz-mat fee not so over whelming.

Ken

Shiloh
09-13-2014, 06:18 PM
ShooterAZ (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?22038-ShooterAZ),
Or....... you could go to Powder Valley and order some small rifle primers. They have CCI, Winchester and Tula in stock the CCI are selling at $26.50 per 1000. I would suggest buying 5000 to make the haz-mat fee not so over whelming.

Ken

Or....

Get some folks to go in and place an order. Then it Really becomes economical.

Shiloh