PDA

View Full Version : Lee vs Lyman molds

Pigboat
09-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Up until now, the only molds I have used are the Lee aluminum molds. I recently purchased a Lyman mold and would like to ask what differences I might expect when I start using it.

VHoward
09-13-2014, 04:47 PM
If it's steel, then it's going to take longer to get to casting temperature. Have to watch out for rusting and they are heavier.

I have only used Lee, NOE, MP and Saeco molds myself. I don't care for the Lee molds. The Saeco mold is the only steel mold I have and it is relatively easy to use once it is up to temp.

MT Chambers
09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
The Lyman steel mold will hold heat better/longer and it is easier to regulate heat, you can leave the mold sitting while you grab a java, and go right back to casting. Many alum. molds get frosty bullets too soon and when you try to cool them, they get toooo cool.

bedbugbilly
09-14-2014, 08:28 AM
I use both and have for years - MT Chambers summed it up pretty well.

I'm not "high tech" - I dip out of a ideal pot over a propane hotplate. I preheat my molds to get started and with the Lymans, I can just keep going once I get in to a good rhythm. I can do the same with the Lees but at times, I have to let them cool. Both will drop good boo lets though.

Molds are like any tools . . . if you take care of them they will provide years of service. I have some Ideal molds that I use that are years older than I . . . and I'm an old fart. Once you get to using a steel block (like a Lyman) you'll learn quickly how it reacts, the heat up time, etc. On some of mine, even starting with a colder mold it only takes about three pours to start getting good ones.

Good luck!

FergusonTO35
09-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Biggest thing I don't like about Lee molds is the limited design selection. They have no .32 Auto mold whatsoever. I would like to see them at least make limited runs of molds that people keep asking for. Functionally I think Lee molds are great, especially if you are using a very basic pot and ladle set up.

Vinne
09-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I started out with a Lee single mold and felt like I was doing great. I came across a guy selling 2 H&G 10 cavity in 38. Well talk about heavy...like lifting weights but they did put out a mess of fine looking bullets!! After many thousands of bullets later, a friend asked to sell him one. I figured that I would never use all those bullets and also switched to 9mm guns. So I sold both molds and went back to using Lee molds. Now I have 6 different Lee molds (5 are 6 gangers and one double) and only one Lyman rifle mold. Lee is great for the money. The only thing is getting use to switching from one type to the other.

Akheloce
09-15-2014, 12:30 AM
I started with 4 different Lee molds, 3 6-cavity, and one 2 cavity. I had no idea what I was missing until I got my Lyman 454190.

I initially was concerned about only being a 2 cavity, but the temperature control is so much easier, my production is about the same or maybe better than the aluminum 6 cavity when culls are taken into account.

The pins are better, and the vent lines are better. In addition to the better/easier temp control, I have fewer % culls due to fill-out, and misaligned halves with the Lyman. (I have only noticed the misaligned halves when sizing, this makes it more obvious)

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've only been casting for a few months, and about 1500 or so boolits.

dudel
09-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Lee will be lighter in your hands and on your wallet.

Lee will heat up quicker and cool down quicker. Tempo becomes more important. The Lyman will hold a constant temperature easier.

Two of my Lee's have scratches from the sprue plate. I don't think that's a common occurrence on the Lymans.

spfd1903
09-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Have both kinds. Once the cast iron mold is cool, you have to have a plan or method to keep them rust free. Plenty of posts and ideas on that topic....do a search and see what makes sense to you.