PDA

View Full Version : My 1885 Highwall won't stay cocked, . . .

Jeff R
09-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Today, I was shooting my Browning (Miroku) 1885 Highwall "Hunter" model, 45-70. On about the tenth shot, I pulled the trigger and it didn't fire. I saw that it was not cocked. I thumbed the hammer back, but it wouldn't lock back. I removed the cartridge and closed the action. As I actuated the lever again, and the breech block moved down, then up, normally.
As it rose, the hammer did not move rearward, to cock. I could cock it with my thumb, but it would not "catch" in the cocked position. I fiddled with it for a while. Occasionally, the hammer would "barely" remain cocked, but then dropped after the lightest pressure was put on the trigger.
I cleaned it and took it down to the bunker, to put it in the safe. As I always do before putting it in the safe, I opened the action to verify that it was not loaded. It stayed cocked, and the trigger pull was normal. It performed normally for at least 10 cycles.
Any ideas as to what is going on with this rifle?
On a side note, I purchased a used Miroku BPCR. The owner included two, new in the wrapper, sear springs. Could the problem with the "Hunter" have something to do with the sear spring?
Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance!
Jeff

+++++++++ rocketing towards 100 posts ++++++++++++

Doc Highwall
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I believe that the trigger pull has been set too light.

Jeff R
09-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Doc,
I purchased the rifle new, and have never adjusted the trigger. It would seem that I should have a gunsmith check it out.

Thanks,
Jeff

country gent
09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Could be several issues or a combination of them. 1) the sear spring may have weakened or broke, 2) sear and hammer notch may have worn or chipped, 3) dirt, crud, or fouling in the action. With your statement of cleaning the rifle and the trigger mechanisim working normally Id be willing to bet the action was fowled and cleaning cleared it out of the way. But for safteys sake having it checked out by a knowledgable smith would be a good idea also. I have seen these go many many rounds with no parts breakage replacement needed, so Im betting on the fouling crud build up.

NSB
09-12-2014, 09:31 PM
It's dirty. A good cleaning will fix it most likely. I've had trouble when using 5744 powder that doesn't burn completely. Hasn't done it in quite a while though.

bigted
09-12-2014, 11:07 PM
i have had the exact same problem and with a copious amount of pressurized oil spray into the hammer area and under it with rem oil it began to work flawlessly again. i will be with the "clean it" crowd ... not sayin that you're not doing something correctly but ... when i got mine brand new is shortly after getting it into action is when it happened to me and at the range all i had was a big can of the "rem oil" so i doused it good and worked the action open and closed a few times and dry firing then repeated the dousing and after three sessions like this ... never has happened to mine again.

mine has functioned flawlessly ever since ... so im under the idea that the "crud" that they ship em in had gotten into the sear area and gummed the works ... so after the spray of rem oil it allowed the "crud" to dissipate and leave the building and never to return.

good luck with yours and i hope yours is an easy fix as mine was.

earshot
09-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Yep, unburned powder kernels messing up the action. Like stated earlier: pressurized air to blow out the mess and a bit of oil will get you back to business. I made a habit of unloading my 1885 upside-down whenever shooting Vihta N140.

curator
09-13-2014, 10:03 AM
JeffR

Google TexasMac AKA Wayne McLerran. His book on the Browning M1885 BPCR is a must-have for Browning owners. I have had similar problems that required cleaning the occasional unburned powder granules (I often shoot SR4759) from the action. TexasMac's book contains a wealth of knowledge about these guns.

Tatume
09-13-2014, 11:47 AM
I'll bet this is a 45-70. Two that I purchased new were replaced with new guns for exactly the same problem. If you got it through Davidson's (ask your dealer), they will take care of it for you. If not, contact Winchester. Do not take it apart, as you will most likely not be able to reassemble it correctly.

Bearbait in NM
09-13-2014, 01:02 PM
JeffR

Google TexasMac AKA Wayne McLerran. His book on the Browning M1885 BPCR is a must-have for Browning owners. I have had similar problems that required cleaning the occasional unburned powder granules (I often shoot SR4759) from the action. TexasMac's book contains a wealth of knowledge about these guns.

100% agree. I just purchased my first single shot, an 1885 in 454 Casull. I got Wayne's book in yesterday, and knocked it out last night. Even if you are the type of shooter who just likes to let his Gunsmith handle any chores related to the gun, I would consider letting your smith have the book with your rifle. If you plan on doing any of your own trouble shooting, or just want to really understand how these newer 1885 work, the book is well worth the minor investment.

Craig

Tatume
09-13-2014, 04:19 PM
I'll bet this is a 45-70. Two that I purchased new were replaced with new guns for exactly the same problem. If you got it through Davidson's (ask your dealer), they will take care of it for you. If not, contact Winchester. Do not take it apart, as you will most likely not be able to reassemble it correctly.

I will add that the two replacement guns were fired extensively, 1000s of rounds over several years, with the same loads as were used on the two defective guns. The replacement guns never malfunctioned.

oldred
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Regardless of the cause unless you feel qualified to disassemble and inspect this rifle it should be taken to a gunsmith to be sure it's safe, I agree with some of the others it is (was?) most likely just a bit of crud in the wrong place but the possible consequences of guessing wrong could be disastrous!

As was pointed out these rifles, totally unlike the very simple original type Highwalls, can be a bit intimidating to reassemble but with a little research and paying attention to detail it's not beyond the ability of most folks to do at home.

earshot
09-17-2014, 04:04 PM
As long as I do my part in preventing unburned powder into the trigger area, I never have any issues. It just depends a lot on the powder type you use.Lovex D060: no problems, N140: have to unload empty cases with the gun upsidedown ;-)