PDA

View Full Version : How thick is 45/45/10 at room temperature and "garage" temperature?

kenn
09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm trying to eliminate variables as I'm looking at a tumbling and leading issue. I'm curious how thick 45/45.10 should be at room temperature in the house and at garage temp in the summer. In my garage, where it's in the upper 90s, my 45/45/10 from White Label is quite thin. In the house where it's in the 70s, it's pretty thick but I can still shake it up without having to heat it. Does this sound about right?

runfiverun
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
bout right.
mine is like a paste at 60-65.
I heat it up and add a little mineral spirits and it's thinner than water when I apply it.

rsrocket1
09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Kenn,
Your problem is probably not the 45/45/10. If you are getting tumbling and leading, bullet fit in the barrel is the likely culprit. You aren't shooting a 9mm are you? Be sure to slug your barrel, size the bullet correctly and drive it with enough pressure (not a slow low pressure powder).

My 45/45/10 has consistency anywhere from vaseline in the winter to syrup in the summer. A minute or two with the container in the sink with hot water is enough to make it loose and runny to easily spread throughout a ziplock bag of boolits.

kenn
09-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Kenn,
Your problem is probably not the 45/45/10. If you are getting tumbling and leading, bullet fit in the barrel is the likely culprit. You aren't shooting a 9mm are you? Be sure to slug your barrel, size the bullet correctly and drive it with enough pressure (not a slow low pressure powder).

My 45/45/10 has consistency anywhere from vaseline in the winter to syrup in the summer. A minute or two with the container in the sink with hot water is enough to make it loose and runny to easily spread throughout a ziplock bag of boolits.

Thanks. Trying to eliminate all variables. I'm fairly certain my barrel isn't quite perfect in that 1 of the 3 pairs of grooves is slightly larger than the others. Boolit fit is indeed probably the culprit. I'm either going to beagle or lap my mold a tiny bit bigger and make sure my sizer isn't sizing below .4525 due to build up of lube and carefully measure the next batch.

I want to be able to shoot lead and not have to powder coat everything...