PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the right place to post, but ...

bigarm
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I am going to try to build a bullet chute today. When I was visiting Bullshop, he showed me his chute he uses to run the newly cast bullets into the tub of water to harden. Going to try to build one today. Nice project for a Friday.

el34
09-12-2014, 02:05 PM
I think a lot of folks do fine by just dropping them out of the mold straight into a bucket or pan of water. I use a cake pan with a dishtowel on the bottom.

bigarm
09-12-2014, 09:41 PM
They most likely do quite well that way, but it gave me something to do today and was kind of fun thinking through the project and just messing around. Since I am waiting on molds to come, got to do something! Tomorrow my wife and I will go down to Missoula for the night and then shoot a USPSA match on Sunday.

Pavogrande
09-12-2014, 11:56 PM
I am with el84 -- paint pail with a towel on the bottom -
seems to me the boolit would give up too much heat to the chute --
my tuppence

BruceB
09-13-2014, 12:13 AM
I-I-S-S.... I keep nattering about that....

A bucket full of water has a cloth of "some description" placed across its top. The cloth is held in place by electrical tape around the circumference of the bucket.

The cloth is allowed to drape loosely into the water before being taped in place.

A slit several inches is long is cut into the cloth at its lowest point. Make the cut long enought to get a hand through for bullet-removal.

Bullets are dropped straight form the mould into the bucket, where they roll down the sides of the cloth to the slit. They then fall through to the bottom of the bucket.

By the time the bullets get to the slit, they are cold and not susceptible to being damaged, and the speed of their fall to the bucket's bottom is greatly slowed by the trip down the underwater cloth to the slit.

At he cost of a wet hand, it's easy to reach through the slit to remove bullets from the bucket in preparation for the changeover to the next design to be cast. This is easier than sorting-out several different designs AFTER the casting session is completed.

Bucket-water-cloth-tape. That's all there is to it.

Calamity Jake
09-14-2014, 03:09 PM
I have never WD'ed a boolit and never will, I don't see the need.

If I need them hard I will oven HT.

Just sayin

Garyshome
09-14-2014, 11:37 PM
5 gal. bucket sitting on the floor away from the pot!