PDA

View Full Version : I want a heavy .45

Echd
09-11-2014, 11:37 PM
I have heard all sorts of fantastic things about Accurate Molds, and I really want to try them out. I'd like to place my order within the next day or two, but his catalog is so fantastic that I can't decide on what I want! Please help me spend my money, and I'd also think it was really cool if I knew I had a boolit designed by some of the folks here.

The two guns this will feed most frequently will be my Buffalo Classic and my new 45-70 Contender. My BC has a short throat and I'll probably get that corrected soon.

I'm looking for a 2cav aluminum mold probably.

I don't really have a purpose for this mold. I just haven't bought a new nice one in a while, and I want one. It doesn't have to be #1 silhouette gun or anything like that, although there is a good chance it will get pointed at a deer sometime soon.

I want a big fat meplat, and I want it to cast something that will set off seismographs when it hits (ie, be heavy- I have quite a few molds in the mid 300s to low 400s range but only a single 500+). But at the same time, if it's a novel or interesting design, I'm game for it. I want to know when I pull the trigger and send this boolit out, and I want it to be fun.

I really, really love designs like the lyman 311440. They're probably my favorite boolit for rifles, and I've been in love with it since I got one of the Mihec clones. The Lyman 462560 is right up my alley also, I think, but I'd prefer it NOT be gaschecked (and I very, very strongly prefer that it not be)

Ideas for consideration:

116151This is an interesting design but very, very looooong and looks like it will need to be seated deeply.
116152 without a GC... but perhaps it can be seated further out than the above.
116153 This is much shorter and lighter and probably the more practical choice, but goshdarnit, I want something heavy enough to cause a potential mass extinction when it lands.

The website for Accurate Molds says I can mix and match cavities, and I think I want

116155 for one of the cavities. I don't know why, but this design speaks to me- it's unique and interesting, and I don't have anything like it. It's not quite in line with my specifications, but it looks like it means business and that nose will probably do some cool things on impact. If someone has experience with designs that are a bit unusual like this one- Button nosed, huge flat base before the grooves, etc- I'd be interested to hear some input. I think unless someone can tell me otherwise I'm kind of sold on this being one of the cavities (it reminds me quite heavily of Saeco's rifle molds, but I don't have any of them personally)

nicholst55
09-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Before you settle on a very heavy mold for that BC, take it's rifling twist into consideration. I don't recall the exact twist, but it's slower than many other .45-70 rifles like the Shiloh or C. Sharps rifles. It may not stabilize anything too awful heavy.

Echd
09-12-2014, 09:56 AM
My BC is a 1 in 20 and I havent checked my TC firsthand but the guy I bought it from said it was 1 in 18.

The 580 might be pushing it from the BC but I've shot Lee 500 3Rs pretty well with it, and it will stay inside 200 yards.