PDA

View Full Version : CVA .32 cal. Squirrel Rifle

Pigboat
09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I was in a small pawn shop yesterday and noticed a CVA .32 cal. Squirrel Rifle on the rack with the other muzzleloaders. It had a price tag of $159 and I'm after some opinions on the price. It looked to be in great shape with just a little rust showing in the barrel. I didn't want to linger too long because this guy has a habit of raising his prices if you show too much interest and decide to wait.

I haven't been able to find anything on line about the twist rate of the barrel in these. Does anyone know?

John Allen
09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
If it is a crocket grab that sucker up. Most of these rifles are made for a 310 to 315 roundball with a patch.

aspangler
09-11-2014, 02:27 PM
If you don't want it, buy it and I'll buy it from you and pay the shipping. These are great and they are no l;onger made to my knowledge. I am getting ready to build a 32 for squirrels.

Beagle333
09-11-2014, 02:30 PM
It don't take long to fire up some interest when somebody starts talking about .32-.36 cal rifles being up for sale! They are always sought after.
Nab it! :mrgreen:

bedbugbilly
09-11-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't know if this will be of any help or not but I had a left handed one a number of years ago with a TC scope on it. It was an awesome little shooters and heck on squirrels. Like an idiot, I sold it and now wished I'd kept it. If I remember correctly, I got about $300 out of it and it had some wear but was still in nice shape. I'd picked it up in a trade when I was down at Friendship for the Nationals.

The guy who bought it was tickled to death with it and so it all worked out fine. I'm older and my fingers don't always work the best. I finally got away from .32 due to the small ball size and fumbling aroun with it. I have a 36 H & A under hammer and love it. If a person is young and nimble - a .32 is a great tree rat rifle as well as a good cottontail nailer. The older I get, the more I love the smaller calibers - less lead, less powder and still a lot of fun!

Good luck - I really don't think you could go wrong at that price if it's in good shape. If you don't like it after you get it, you'd have no trouble getting your money out of it. My wife and I never had kids but if I had, one of these would have been a great "first rifle" for a youngster . . . and they are even nice for an oldster!

John Allen
09-11-2014, 04:22 PM
It don't take long to fire up some interest when somebody starts talking about .32-.36 cal rifles being up for sale! They are always sought after.
Nab it! :mrgreen:

Beagle, I know we can not help ourselves.

Pigboat
09-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Too late !! I went down there as soon as I read your replies but it was already gone.

richhodg66
09-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I wish I had a .32 muzzle loading rifle of any type. What a fun, cheap to shoot thing that would be!

TCLouis
09-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I had a Flinchlock 32 that was just a bit more than I could tame.

Traded it for a little CVA 32 caliber cap gun last fall. I have yet to shoot it, but guess I should get it out and see if it will hold minute of squirrel.

I know that compared to the 80- 100 grains of FFFG I am used to measuring out it ought to be hard to measure a full BP load in the 32!

Kevinakaq
09-11-2014, 10:20 PM
I have a 36 cal green mtn barrel for my TC Hawken and have not shot it in 20 years or so. Use to sit off my back porch and plink at 60 yards in quarter size groups with round ball and some pillow ticking using a lyman tang mounted peep. Boy I miss those eyes... Paid for that barrel and sight working the block pile as a laborer for my stepfather during the Florida summer.

Last squirrel and gravy I ate in KY was killed with that rifle. Great squirrel gun and all around fun. Perhaps it is time to blow some dust off after reading this thread.

Shame you missed it but there will be another. Will keep my eyes open fer ya!

Watch your top knot,
Kevin

beroen
09-12-2014, 12:17 AM
If it has a set trigger buy it!

it might be worth it with a upgraded lock on it

wgr
09-12-2014, 01:59 AM
i have a .36 green mountain barreled rifle with a mule ear lock. great small game getter.

GARD72977
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I started shooting ML with one of these 20 something years ago. They are great little guns. It a little on the small side but so much fun to shoot.

swamp
09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
I have a T/C Seneca(36cal) and got a 32 Cherokee barrel and ramrod for it. Finally got out and shot the 32 barrel. Alot of fun on a little bit of powder and shot. RB and Maxi.

The small bores are just plain fun.
swamp

kopperl
09-12-2014, 09:46 PM
$159! I've got more than that in just the barrel of the 32 I'm building.

MarkP
09-12-2014, 10:00 PM
I bought a CVA 32 squirrel rifle kit from Target (when they sold guns) in about 1983, I think the price was $99 on sale. I have not shot it for years, when I did it was fun to shot.

waksupi
09-13-2014, 12:15 AM
$159! I've got more than that in just the barrel of the 32 I'm building.

I always kinda shake my head at the ML's for that kind of price. You are right, a quality barrel will cost more, and a quality lock isn't far behind that. On average, I get into parts around $800 to start building a gun.

Coffeecup
09-14-2014, 01:58 PM
I was in a small pawn shop yesterday and noticed a CVA .32 cal. Squirrel Rifle on the rack with the other muzzleloaders. It had a price tag of $159 and I'm after some opinions on the price. It looked to be in great shape with just a little rust showing in the barrel. I didn't want to linger too long because this guy has a habit of raising his prices if you show too much interest and decide to wait.
As I recall, the ROT was 1:48.

Yeah, I had one--or rather, I purchased one as a kit for my then-wife. I built it for her, put on a decent buttplate, re-built the lock, cast a nosecap, installed good sights, etc.

It shot well, but while shooting it in, my little brother pointed out that it was "leaking smoke" around the drum. After watching him take a couple shots, I was able to locate the gas leak. I pulled the barrel from the stock and sent it in to CVA. A couple months later they sent a letter saying the breech had been tampered with, was unrepairable, and would only cost me about $100 to replace.

Since the kit was new and I was the first person to open the box, I knew the breech hadn't been tampered with. I asked for the return of the barrel, and they did so (after I agreed to pay for it). I wound up epoxying a dowel in the stock and letting my nephews and godson play with it, and traded my shotgun for a different rifle for my wife.

The barrel and copies of the correspondence were on display at our state ML convention the following year. I learned that a number of other people had similar problems, and got the same response from CVA.

If I remember correctly (it has been 27 years or so), the problem was that the first version had a barrel flat the same size as the shank of the drum. If they didn't line the drill up perfectly, or monkeyed about too much setting the drum so the hammer hit the nipple correctly, some of them would leak gas. I'm told later versions had a larger barrel, and that this solved the problem.

shdwlkr
09-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Not to get anyone upset but I have 2 seneca's and 2 cherokees took me a long time to get them and nope at the present time they are not for sale. Just found some hornady buck shot for the 36 caliber. No hornady doesn't list them for this but they do work. I have also used ww lead round balls in mine.
I look every time I walk into a LGS to see if they have any and will buy if the price is right and I have the scratch to do so. TC made a mistake when the fire happened to not continue with them and S&W has made a even bigger mistake walking away from black powder firearms. With the cost of shooting going up more and more are going to turn to bp to keep shooting.

swamp
09-14-2014, 06:41 PM
shdwlkr PM sent in re Cherokee.
swamp

scouse
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
I only joined the forum this morning and one of the first things i found was this thread.Kind of funny as last saturday I was in a local pawnshop checking out the inventory when I spotted a smaller than usual smoke pole.Turned out to be a TC .32 for $240 and as i was offered(not accepted)$400.00 for my Seneca I thought it was a no brainer.Took it to the range yesterday,screwed up and packed the ff instead of the fff and forgot the wiping stick.After 2 offhand to see if it would hit paper with 30gr followed by 2 off a front rest,I increased to 40 grand started making one big hole.Cant with to try the fff and wiping between shots.116434

beroen
09-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Wiping between shots is overrated 😉

mooman76
09-22-2014, 01:12 AM
I found with my 32 if I don't wipe at least once every 3rd shot, accuracy falls off quick. Each gun reacts differently.

triggerhappy243
09-22-2014, 04:23 AM
S&W can shove it where the sun dont shine. on another note, Id bet that a mould maker could make a new maxi-mould. always wanted the complete collection

Anonym
09-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I ended up with an older CVA Squirrel kit that someone assembled without really finishing. Traded an archery rest for it if I recall correctly. Had a gun builder make a new stock for it as there's very little drop and very difficult for even kids to get down far enough to align the stock. What he sent to me was nothing short of beautiful, being a decent piece of curly maple and trimmed out like a classic half-stock. She shoots great and the kids love it as I do.

Here's one of my boys telling me all about it after we got her back from getting her new clothes...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/Anonym_photos/2013-01-10202809.jpg (http://s632.photobucket.com/user/Anonym_photos/media/2013-01-10202809.jpg.html)
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/Anonym_photos/2013-01-102028471.jpg (http://s632.photobucket.com/user/Anonym_photos/media/2013-01-102028471.jpg.html)

triggerhappy243
09-23-2014, 02:06 AM
FEI... wiping after and between shots really improves group size.

Boaz
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Makes loading much easier also .

Gtek
11-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Funny how stuff happens. Just returned from visit with my Fathers best friend and his wife, kind of an aunt/uncle and has been since my parents passing. The Mrs. and I met them for lunch and a chat and he informed me I needed to swing by after lunch to look at some things. Well, it turned out things were an 1873 trapdoor, a Parker double, and a 32 squirrel with set triggers. Nothing museum quality but I informed him I needed that 32, we will see.

Fly
11-01-2014, 08:04 PM
That's a lot of powder for a .32cal.I use about 20 grains of 3fffg & never over 25.

Fly

slumlord44
11-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Neat little rifles. I have a kit in my garage that I started on years ago and never got around to finishing. Maybe this winter.

32HR MAG
11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
I have a left-hand CVA squirrel rifle. It has 1:48 twist and double set triggers. I bought it and another one from a guy on an auction site. When he bought them as kits.All he did was to slobber some ugly blondish stain on the stocks and hang them on his cabin wall.Didn't even wipe the cosmoline off the steel parts.
I got lucky and was able to win the bidding for what normally one was selling for at the time,6 years ago. I cleaned them up and have since sold one for more than I had invested in the two,even with a cracked stock. I am saving that one for my daughter and have a Crockett for myself.

starmac
11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
The mail lady just delivered my new to me crockett woo hoo. It is right handed (which sucks for my use) but I actually bought it to see about getting the grandaughters started in muzzies. We will see how that turns out.lol

Squeeze
11-08-2014, 01:41 PM
the CVA, (.32)and most everything but the TC is 1-48 twist Mine all seem to lean about 20-22 grains (with Goex 3f) and are more finicky do dial in. The TC has a twist of 1-30 and seems to just do well with any load. you can load them down to 12 grains or so and still be accurate. Loaded heavier, a 108 grn maxi shoots pretty well to 70-80 yards. (roundballs are 41-47 grn depending on size/mix)
Im right handed, left eye, So I shoot most everything lefty. all my guns are right handed

shdwlkr
11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Squeeze
I think my cherokees are 1 in 48 twist as that was the standard TC twist for all their rifles except I think the big boar. Can't find my list of all the calibers and twists right at the moment.

Squeeze
11-09-2014, 08:02 AM
I have 3 of them, all 1-30 something else is possible, but its probably not a TC barrel then.

crowbarforge
11-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Just got a Joe Schell southern rifle in .32. THEY ARE A BLAST TO SHOOT! Cannot believe I waited so long to get a real squirrel rifle.

Hanshi
11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
I never wipe between shots and get one hole accuracy. The trick is to use the right lube and shoot a snug fit prb. I lube with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. The Traditions Crockett is amazing. Mine was capable of sub 1" groups at 50 yards without wiping.

Newtire
08-12-2016, 04:50 PM
I only joined the forum this morning and one of the first things i found was this thread.Kind of funny as last saturday I was in a local pawnshop checking out the inventory when I spotted a smaller than usual smoke pole.Turned out to be a TC .32 for $240 and as i was offered(not accepted)$400.00 for my Seneca I thought it was a no brainer.Took it to the range yesterday,screwed up and packed the ff instead of the fff and forgot the wiping stick.After 2 offhand to see if it would hit paper with 30gr followed by 2 off a front rest,I increased to 40 grand started making one big hole.Cant with to try the fff and wiping between shots.116434
I did the same thing taking my brand new Crockett to the range. Was using 777 2f as I had grabbed the wrong bottle.. Using 20 gr. 2f 777, a .310 ball & .015" patch I put the very first shot in the center of the X with no sight adjustment and first 3 into an inch @50yds. Love that gun.

mazo kid
08-19-2016, 03:12 PM
My first .32 was a Dixie Mountain rifle. I got it from the daughter of a friend....man, could she shoot that gun! It was a right hand percussion ( don't think they made a LH .32) and I swapped out Dixie parts (lock plate, hammer, frizzen and spring)for about $45.00 instead of paying $130.00 for the flint lock. I eventually sold the gun as I was wanting left hand flintlocks. The one I have now is a semi-custom left hand .32 Flintlock that cost 3 times as much but is a very nice rifle.

Texas by God
08-20-2016, 07:56 AM
I built CVA Squirrel Rifle from a kit in the early 80's. I tiger striped the stock with a small brazing tip on a O/A torch. It turned out beautifully and shot great. It had DST and if I remember correctly my loads approached .22 Mag ballistics. I took it to a gun show to show it off and a man grinned and paid me twice what I had in it. Yes, I miss it! Best, Thomas.

slumlord44
08-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Still haven't finished my .32 CVA kit. Got a little work done on it and got sidetracked putting my T Bird back together. Bought a factory build CVA .36 Squirrel rifle on GB last week. Looking foreword to trying it out when it gets here.

jjarrell
08-26-2016, 08:01 PM
I have a pre-warning .36 cal Seneca that doesn't have a mark on it and I absolutely love it. It may be my favorite rifle, even over my custom barreled .54. Squirrel rifles are a LOT of fun to shoot. They are cheap to shoot, and and very accurate. I picked it, a .54 T/C Hawken, and a T/C New Englander 12ga up at an estate auction last summer. I gave $65 for the Seneca, $105 for the Hawken, and $80 for the 12ga.

rfd
08-27-2016, 04:45 PM
I have a pre-warning .36 cal Seneca that doesn't have a mark on it and I absolutely love it. It may be my favorite rifle, even over my custom barreled .54. Squirrel rifles are a LOT of fun to shoot. They are cheap to shoot, and and very accurate. I picked it, a .54 T/C Hawken, and a T/C New Englander 12ga up at an estate auction last summer. I gave $65 for the Seneca, $105 for the Hawken, and $80 for the 12ga.

go on, rub it in! lol! congrats! excellent luck and great finds!

Newtire
11-06-2017, 08:45 AM
I have a pre-warning .36 cal Seneca that doesn't have a mark on it and I absolutely love it. It may be my favorite rifle, even over my custom barreled .54. Squirrel rifles are a LOT of fun to shoot. They are cheap to shoot, and and very accurate. I picked it, a .54 T/C Hawken, and a T/C New Englander 12ga up at an estate auction last summer. I gave $65 for the Seneca, $105 for the Hawken, and $80 for the 12ga.We all hate guys like you. Kee-riminetly!

OverMax
11-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Old thread but still a nice read do to being interesting.
I don't have much use for a 32. Where I hunt (far Northland) there are only annoying red squirrel that are not at all eatable.
To bad we all suffer with the same syndrome (procrastination) I can't count how many times I've lost out on a firearm purchase do to a stall in pulling out my Visa card.. Last one was a near looking 35 Marlin for 650. (still bummed over that overnight foolish move of mine)

I didn't see where anyone commented the little 32 CVA's barrel twist? Kinda curious now as to what it is?
If I were to purchase such a 32 side-lock no doubt I would be on the scout for a T/C 32 maxi mold. (if the twist rate was appropriate for the shooting of)
Oh well. One thing is certain since there were many CVA 32's made your very likely to see another for-sale in your lifetime OP.

fiberoptik
11-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Track of the Wolf has a .32 Maxi mould.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom W.
11-07-2017, 10:54 AM
I bought a kit many moons ago, a .32 flintlock. I left the barrel in the white, allowing the humidity here in Alabama to lightly brown the barrel. As I have a much longer LOP I added a shotgun recoil pad. Yes, it was out of place but worked. I probably shot it less than fifty times as the frizzen wasn't hardened properly and seldom sparked. I took it into a newly opened curio shop and the owner quickly told me that she knew firearms and what I had was a very old and well maintained rifle, and proceeded to offer me twice what I paid for it and the powder horn. Fool that I am, I took it!

fishingsetx
11-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Old thread but still a nice read do to being interesting.
I don't have much use for a 32. Where I hunt (far Northland) there are only annoying red squirrel that are not at all eatable.
To bad we all suffer with the same syndrome (procrastination) I can't count how many times I've lost out on a firearm purchase do to a stall in pulling out my Visa card.. Last one was a near looking 35 Marlin for 650. (still bummed over that overnight foolish move of mine)

I didn't see where anyone commented the little 32 CVA's barrel twist? Kinda curious now as to what it is?
If I were to purchase such a 32 side-lock no doubt I would be on the scout for a T/C 32 maxi mold. (if the twist rate was appropriate for the shooting of)
Oh well. One thing is certain since there were many CVA 32's made your very likely to see another for-sale in your lifetime OP.UPS just delivered a Traditions Crocket .32 cal from MidwayUSA. Barrel twist is 1 in 48. But not sure what the CVA was.

If anyone is looking for a .32 cal muzzleloader, they should check out the crocket. Awesome shooting gun, and the fit/finish is awesome too!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/bc1db1f2211a92ac4a9e442a78f66668.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/745613667f5ed7fac19fac4059f3f859.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/9b2d33a5ab5066e07b6127dbb060d36b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/c6de19700f4e6711853286ac689bb35e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/5d22c46c561b6099faed3845f31f3e5f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/2587121a7f7395f0b75dac9c6dc5271e.jpg

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171111/5fda082435248b825aca48c4f0867d67.jpg

dondiego
11-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Your cat looks fake!

sghart3578
11-14-2017, 10:42 PM
When I was looking for a small bore muzzleloader I was this close to buying a Crockett.

But on another forum I found a guy selling an unfired .36 cal percussion rifle made by Wilderness Rifle Works in the 80's. I bought it.

Small bore blackpowder rifles are so much fun they should be illegal. Not really.

fishingsetx
11-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Your cat looks fake!I figured there was probably a forum rule against blood and guts (and brains) in pics. There are 3 squirrels under that cat.

triggerhappy243
11-15-2017, 01:43 AM
Where is this crockett made?

Newtire
11-15-2017, 01:44 AM
I had one problem with my Crockett that someone on a forum somewhere solved for me. The inside of the hammer was catching on the top of the lock plate. A little work with a stone in the Dremel cleaned up that problem. It is one honking accurate little rifle. Would be good for things up to the size of a racoon inside of 50 yds. or so. I just passed up a good deal on a CVA on GB. Kind of figured I already have a great little.32. Funny, that's never stopped me before!

shdwlkr
11-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Well some of us have to accept that we only have 3 Senecas, 2 Cherokees got them a long time ago.

fishingsetx
11-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Where is this crockett made?Mine says made in Spain

Newtire
11-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Well some of us have to accept that we only have 3 Senecas, 2 Cherokees got them a long time ago.Yes Stu, we know you have those .32 issues. It's ok though, we all have those crosses we bear. Not me but most others.:veryconfu

dondiego
11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
I had one problem with my Crockett that someone on a forum somewhere solved for me. The inside of the hammer was catching on the top of the lock plate. A little work with a stone in the Dremel cleaned up that problem. It is one honking accurate little rifle. Would be good for things up to the size of a racoon inside of 50 yds. or so. I just passed up a good deal on a CVA on GB. Kind of figured I already have a great little.32. Funny, that's never stopped me before!

It was me on this forum and I had the same problem with the hammer stop on the lock plate. It is an easy fix though.

dondiego
11-16-2017, 01:02 PM
I figured there was probably a forum rule against blood and guts (and brains) in pics. There are 3 squirrels under that cat.

A very resourceful use of graphics! Not sure of any rules related to game animals though. I would guess use your discretion.

shdwlkr
11-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Newtire
must be part of being an old grump and few things excite us anymore ha ha

Wayne Smith
11-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Does the Crockett have a full size stock or a child stock? For that matter, does anyone make a child's muzzleloader?

fiberoptik
11-18-2017, 12:12 AM
CVA Squirrel .32 was pretty petite!

Patrolman
11-22-2017, 02:41 PM
In reply to size of Crockett rifle. I stand 6' 3", wear a 36" sleeve. The rifle fits me.

AntiqueSledMan
11-24-2017, 08:18 AM
I purchased a Crockett for my son, disappointed that it doesn't have a hooked breech.
We have a pair of CVA Squirrel Rifles, only problem is not enough drop in the stock.
The Squirrel Rifles have a 25" barrel compared to the Crockett's 32" barrel,
much easier to maneuver through the woods with.

Gtek
11-25-2017, 10:38 AM
"only problem is not enough drop in the stock" that's a a big 10-4 on that one. Picked up a cap and a rock lock years ago sight unseen and cannot get my fat punkin head down in sights. Was debating scope but oiled and stuffed awaiting growth of two grandsons.

Ruffinit
02-25-2019, 11:11 PM
Hi guys, I just got my first warning within 30 minutes of registering and posting my first post, so I guess this is my first post as the other was deleted. I found this forum and post because I was looking to find out more information on my CVA 32 cal Squirrel rifle. I have found via this post that there is a lot of interest in the rifle that I was not aware of. I've never shot the thing in the ~30 years I've had it because 1) if I got all the stuff to shoot it and didn't like it I was out the money and 2) my wife doesn't like rabbit or squirrel. I've recently gotten into reloading in earnest and began looking into possibly casting my own bullets (my recent procurement is a 45-70) which got me into thinking about the 32 cal again. Besides plinking, what's the use of this rifle?

fiberoptik
02-25-2019, 11:34 PM
10-25 grains a pop sure makes a pound of powder last a long time. Tap-O—Cap makes your caps real cheap; Lee makes the mould for it. Can’t shoot cheaper than this!
Best fun ever!!!

bedbugbilly
02-26-2019, 11:04 AM
as far as the use of it - it's named "squirrel rifle" for a reason! :-) Tree rats, rabbits and other critters . . . . it will do the job.

arcticap
02-26-2019, 06:00 PM
The .32 can blow holes through small game and the balls are fast & powerful enough to even kill coyote at a considerable distance.
They say to aim for the head of smaller game to leave some meat left for the pot.
It's a little ball that can be pushed very fast.
Just keep the barrel clean for best accuracy.
I think that 777 3F is a good clean powerful powder for small bores like the .32.

Texas by God
02-26-2019, 06:41 PM
It's also a perfect turkey rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ruffinit
02-27-2019, 09:48 PM
as far as the use of it - it's named "squirrel rifle" for a reason! :-) Tree rats, rabbits and other critters . . . . it will do the job.

Yeah but as I said above, the wife doesn't like rabbit or squirrel. I've got lots of other rifles.

Ruffinit
02-27-2019, 09:51 PM
10-25 grains a pop sure makes a pound of powder last a long time. Tap-O—Cap makes your caps real cheap; Lee makes the mould for it. Can’t shoot cheaper than this!
Best fun ever!!!

What is the actual size of ball this thing would use? Can it use shotshell size or is it .310/.312? I'll look into the other stuff. I've never even shot a black powder gun before.

Ruffinit
02-27-2019, 09:54 PM
The .32 can blow holes through small game and the balls are fast & powerful enough to even kill coyote at a considerable distance.
They say to aim for the head of smaller game to leave some meat left for the pot.
It's a little ball that can be pushed very fast.
Just keep the barrel clean for best accuracy.
I think that 777 3F is a good clean powerful powder for small bores like the .32.

Seriously? Coyotes? What kind of distances are you talking about?

arcticap
02-27-2019, 11:57 PM
Seriously? Coyotes? What kind of distances are you talking about?

That's a good question because it depends on shot placement, the size of the coyote and the projectile.

Reading a lot of posts by .32 hunters, I've found a range of opinions on what constitutes a humane kill on coyotes if there is such a thing since
they are known to eat people's pets in my state, and they can grow as large as 50 lbs. or so.

At a range of about 40 yards, a .31 ball can pass through a large coyote's chest and then only run 50-75 yards.
And that's a large one, that could perhaps cover 10 yards per second after being shot.

Since a .32 can generally shoot a 1" group at about 50 yards, which is good enough to be able to hit a target as small as a squirrel,
a .31 ball should be able to produce a lethal head or neck shot on a coyote.

Another .32 hunter described shooting clear through woodchucks at ranges from 70 - 90 yards, with one at 97 yards, for a total of 38 woodchucks.

I recall one .32 hunter who told a story many times about how he took a long shot at a coyote at 125 yards and hit it in the ear which killed it on the spot.

Also, Track of the Wolf sells a .32 Maxiball bullet that weighs 125 grains which retains a lot more energy at a longer distance than a .31 ball that weighs 45 grains.--->>> https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/129/1/BALL-32-MAXI

Someone ran a ballistics calculator on the .32 round ball and this is what he found:

"Shooting a .31 diameter roundball (about 45 grains weight) loaded over 35 grains of powder out of a 26" long, 1:66 twist barrel would produce about 2006 fps muzzle velocity. (Based on Lyman data and some interpolation.)

At the muzzle, that gave a energy of 401 ft/lbs

At 20 yards the velocity was down to 1599 fps and 255 ft/lbs of energy.

At 50 yards the velocity was 1153 fps and 133 ft/lbs.

The energy at 50 yards for the .32 muzzleloader is greater than a .32 auto produces at the muzzle and IMO, shooting a coyote with one of these pistols at point blank range should be more than enough to dispatch it."

A lot of these .32 hunters were discussing their Traditions .32 Crockett rifle that has a 32" barrel which can increase performance somewhat.
Others hunt with .32 rifles with even longer barrels such as the woodchuck hunter who was shooting a flintlock.

But the point is that basically, there is not a particular distance limitation for coyote hunting with a .32 except that
it depends on shot placement, eyesight, a person's shooting ability, their load and how well it shoots.
A lot of people use calls to bring the coyote into shooting range.

TNsailorman
02-28-2019, 12:03 AM
The little .32 is one of those rifles like the 6.5x55 that hits all out of proportion to its diameter size. I know I had one and was surprised at hard it hit when I first got it. Sadly like a lot of other guns I should have kept, I sold it in a moment of weakness. james

fiberoptik
02-28-2019, 12:09 AM
What is the actual size of ball this thing would use? Can it use shotshell size or is it .310/.312? I'll look into the other stuff. I've never even shot a black powder gun before.

Either .310/.315. 10-25 grains. Cheapest shooting ever! If you’re vegetarian, you can always shoot cans!

Ruffinit
02-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Who would've thought.. Thanks for the info. In all projectiles of course the shot placement is the number one point with load being the second. I'm familiar with coyotes.. we have plenty here in Iowa. Besides this post I haven't seen much info on these particular rifles. We have black powder hunting season here, but most shoot .45 or .50 for deer. I've got extensive experience with "modern" firearms, but no feel at all for blackpowder..

fiberoptik
03-01-2019, 12:38 AM
Think .22 of bp.

OverMax
03-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Dandy looking little rifle in the pix. Didn't know the Crockett rifle came with set triggers until now.
Kind'a resembles a T/C Seneca wo/a patch box.

Seem like my Goggle search only listed a traditional 1-48 twist in those few aftermarket & factory barrels I checked on.

Newtire
05-14-2020, 10:10 PM
That's a good question because it depends on shot placement, the size of the coyote and the projectile.

Reading a lot of posts by .32 hunters, I've found a range of opinions on what constitutes a humane kill on coyotes if there is such a thing since
they are known to eat people's pets in my state, and they can grow as large as 50 lbs. or so.

At a range of about 40 yards, a .31 ball can pass through a large coyote's chest and then only run 50-75 yards.
And that's a large one, that could perhaps cover 10 yards per second after being shot.

Since a .32 can generally shoot a 1" group at about 50 yards, which is good enough to be able to hit a target as small as a squirrel,
a .31 ball should be able to produce a lethal head or neck shot on a coyote.

Another .32 hunter described shooting clear through woodchucks at ranges from 70 - 90 yards, with one at 97 yards, for a total of 38 woodchucks.

I recall one .32 hunter who told a story many times about how he took a long shot at a coyote at 125 yards and hit it in the ear which killed it on the spot.

Also, Track of the Wolf sells a .32 Maxiball bullet that weighs 125 grains which retains a lot more energy at a longer distance than a .31 ball that weighs 45 grains.--->>> https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/129/1/BALL-32-MAXI

Someone ran a ballistics calculator on the .32 round ball and this is what he found:

"Shooting a .31 diameter roundball (about 45 grains weight) loaded over 35 grains of powder out of a 26" long, 1:66 twist barrel would produce about 2006 fps muzzle velocity. (Based on Lyman data and some interpolation.)

At the muzzle, that gave a energy of 401 ft/lbs

At 20 yards the velocity was down to 1599 fps and 255 ft/lbs of energy.

At 50 yards the velocity was 1153 fps and 133 ft/lbs.

The energy at 50 yards for the .32 muzzleloader is greater than a .32 auto produces at the muzzle and IMO, shooting a coyote with one of these pistols at point blank range should be more than enough to dispatch it."

A lot of these .32 hunters were discussing their Traditions .32 Crockett rifle that has a 32" barrel which can increase performance somewhat.
Others hunt with .32 rifles with even longer barrels such as the woodchuck hunter who was shooting a flintlock.

But the point is that basically, there is not a particular distance limitation for coyote hunting with a .32 except that
it depends on shot placement, eyesight, a person's shooting ability, their load and how well it shoots.
A lot of people use calls to bring the coyote into shooting range.I have to add that I think it depends a lot on the tenacity of the individual animal. Shot one thru the chest and it took out a lung and 1/2 of the rib cage. It was found the next day by another castboolit forum member. Quite always from where I shot it too. Shot it with a Lyman 429244 moving close to 1800 FPS out of a .444 Marlin. One tough critter!