PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from fl

nachogrande
09-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Howdy, in a bit of a rush, so will update profile later. I'm looking for some load data for a 9mm sig p226 using Missouri 115 gr rn boolits & unique or tite group powder, thanks. Bulleye was ok but smoky.

Wayne Smith
09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Apparently you haven't, so start by getting the Lyman 69th Reloading manual. That's a beginning if you are going to shoot cast boolits. I usually recommend at least two.

Gus Youmans
09-11-2014, 06:47 PM
You can also go to the powder manufacturers' websites to get info on their recommended loads, but as Wayne said, the most authoritative source for lead bullet loads are the Lyman manuals.

The Hodgdon site shows a starting load of 3.9 grains and a max of 4.3 grains with a 115 grain round nose lead bullet and Titegroup. The Alliant site was a waste of time.

Gus Youmans

KYCaster
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
If you found Bullseye smokey, you won't like Unique and Titegroup either.

http://hodgdon.com/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/

Jerry

nachogrande
09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
12 manuals so far, the only lyman is # 49th ed. YES I know I need the cast manual & the Alliant lookup was a waste of time. Sorry for not doing the profile thing in the 7+ hours I've been here yet, as I tell my wife, "I'll get to it". I've only been reloading cast for app 6 months but rifle/pistol/shotgun since the late 70's. There seems to be plenty of data for 124 gr's but 115 gr not so much. Any particular reason the 124 gr seems to be so favored? Appropriate powders I have on hand are: 1 lb of bullseye, 2 lbs of titegroup, 6 lbs of unique (& would like to use that up first). I'm looking for advice, & to those that tried to help thank you. The DOB I listed was fake, I wish I was that young. Paranoia will destroy ya, but I'm careful giving out personal info on the net. PROFILE NOW COMPLETED, YAY!

tazman
09-13-2014, 09:11 AM
You can get data for the 115 cast here http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ for Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powders.
Titegroup loads are listed.

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks Taz.

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 12:25 AM
SO Jerry, what do you recommend then?

Love Life
09-14-2014, 12:47 AM
The 124 gr is so favored because

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 08:03 AM
THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! If you are going to take the time to post something, instead of something smart alec that may amuse YOU, NOT ME. Why not make it something that actually helps, that is IF you really do know something. I thought we were here to help one another instead of rubbing our own egos.

500MAG
09-14-2014, 08:26 AM
THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! If you are going to take the time to post something, instead of something smart alec that may amuse YOU, NOT ME. Why not make it something that actually helps, that is IF you really do know something. I thought we were here to help one another instead of rubbing our own egos.
Dude, you going about this the wrong way. Everybody here is normally willing to help. I will tell you that most of us don't like to give information to someone that comes out with their initial statement that they are in a rush and wants info. The main concern overall is safety. It's like you don't have time so you want what you want and everybody needs to just give it up.

500MAG
09-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Oh, sorry I didn't answer the question. 115gr lost favor many years ago. As far as accuracy goes, they are just as accurate and are good for paper punching. They simply do not have stopping power for self defense and for competition steel targets the 125gr can even give you problems. Therefore, in my experience the 125gr would be the minimum.

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 08:44 AM
My apologies if that is how it came across TO YOU. I have all the time in the world (RETIRED) for respectful/ helpful / serious answers. I was in a hurry to get somewhere I can no longer remember, which is why I "apparently" did not have time to fill in my profile for over 7 hours, (oh the horror). Just in a hurry to do the profile, NOT for getting a simple answer to a simple question. AGAIN thank you to those willing to help, the witty banter may be rarely funny, but not what I am looking for at the moment. TAKE NOTE OF POST #12, a simple helpful and MUCH APPRECIATED answer. This SHOULD NOT be like pulling teeth, with all due respect.

waksupi
09-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Snark won't get you far on this forum.

Gus Youmans
09-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Nachogrande,

I will not tell you what load I use for a 115 grain lead bullet using Unique powder because it is a max load and I have no control over your choice of reloading components or your reloading techniques. However, I will tell you how I arrive at load data for which there is none specifically listed in a manual.

If the manual does not list my specific bullet and alloy I find data for the next heavier bullet and, beginning with the starting load, work up in .2 or .3 grain increments until I find a load that is accurate, will function properly, and does not show signs of high pressure. I decide whether to use .2 or .3 grain increments based on the load manual's range between starting and max charge weights. For example, if the manual only shows a .5 grain spread I will use .2 grain increments but if it shows more than a full grain I will use .3 grain increments, at least until I approach the max charge. I always keep in mind that the max charge is dependent on a number of conditions and, while the reloading manual's listed max charge for the heavier bullet may be safe in my gun, I approach it carefully.

I have used the Lyman manuals as cast bullet load references for about 40 years and have never gotten in trouble doing so. If I find a load on the internet that someone recommends I will check it against the Lyman manuals and/or the powder manufacturer's website before beginning to work up a load using the aforementioned technique. To my way of thinking, trusting someone else's load data and shooting someone else's handloads are almost the same thing. The load may have been safe in their guns but may not be in mine.

Gus Youmans

dubber123
09-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Snark won't get you far on this forum.

Sure it will. As long as you are after snark and grief in return.

Unique will not fix your problem with smoke, it's not the powder, rather the lubed lead boolit that causes most of the smoke. Either going jacketed, or maybe powder coated are your options. My Hodgdon manual lists 6.1 grs. of Unique as max with a 115, for 30,000 Psi. Probably higher than you want to go for decent lead boolit accuracy in 9mm. Try and enjoy your time here.

3leggedturtle
09-14-2014, 01:21 PM
The 124 gr is so favored because

In my case the 124's shoot spot on to the sights of my P95, whereas the 115's shoot low and to the left.

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 03:03 PM
THANK YOU GUS. You nailed my predicament. I'm up to date on lyman 47/ Nosler/ Hornady, & will be getting Lyman 4th edition with my next disability check. A fellow bowling pin/ steel challenger can loan me old Lyman issues, so I should "SOON" have the data I'm looking for, and do know enough NOT TO take info from the web/ or any one source and run with it. While I may be new to cast, app 2-3,000 asst pistol that have all been fine, I've been reloading J-types since the mid 70's. I AM NOT a velocity freak, DO NOT want max loads, I'd rather use less powder with less recoil as long as the accuracy is there, and am not looking for someone's secret sauce recipe. I'M more of an older revolver guy more familiar with bullseye/ blue dot/ unique/ 2400 and the like. these "newer" powders that claim they are faster and cleaner are interesting (titegroup/ trail boss/ power pistol, but the window of powder wt's from min suggested to max are pretty small, & the old "if it sounds to good to be true" alarm bell keeps going off. I thought I might be able to get some help from fellow shooters, and to those that did offer simple straight forward help THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN. I will be able to sort things out by myself, even though it may take longer. None of us seem to have a long fuse on our tempers when it comes to strangers. When/If I am around long enough to get to know some of you better, things will likely lighten up. I never intended to be rude or "SNARKY".

Love Life
09-14-2014, 04:58 PM

Are you talking to me? Did you ever stop to think "Gee, maybe he got cut off from the net or maybe he accidently deleted half of what he was going to post as he posted it?"

Additionally, you asked a question that is answered in a bazillion different manuals. As a matter of fact, I looked at 7 different manuals today and all listed 115 gr bullets/boolits with several of the powders you asked about.

In the words of Rachel Jeantel "That's real retarded, sir."

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 05:40 PM
YOU SOUND CRANKY CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, did you miss your nappie time today? NO CAST INFO in MY sierra, hornady, nosler,speer, and NO 115 gr info in lyman 47. very little info for that bullet wt, I only have a dozen OR SO manuals, the 115 gr info you spoke of must be in one of the other "BAZILLION" manuals. If you cannot complete a post, or retype it, who's the R-word now. Don't worry I will get along fine without your help. You may return to practicing your Robert DiNiro impression. Sorry for the drama folks, entertaining aint he? I just can't help engaging in a battle of wits, especially when your opponent is un armed.

waksupi
09-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Seeing this guy's track record so far, I think we are better off with him removed from the board.

bdicki
09-14-2014, 06:22 PM
:popcorn:

BruceB
09-14-2014, 07:34 PM
My, my.... Mr Snark did make a bit of progress.... right onto my short ignore list. Sure didn't take long.

nachogrande
09-14-2014, 08:32 PM
OH PLEASE don't break my heart. & pass the popcorn. BTW what kind of LOOB do you sell OBI WAN:violin:?

fishhawk
09-15-2014, 07:53 AM
Any more of these types of posts nachogrande (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?37670-nachogrande) on this or any thread will not be tolerated and with be dealt with by deleting your posts and your membership. Your conduct here at this point is unacceptable.

harley6699
09-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Nachogrande.. I have found that I can load a 115 gr Lead TC (my casts) with 4.10 grs of Titegroup for a Glock, & 4.50 grs of Bullseye for my Taurus.. they can be shot in either weapon but the rounds are for accuracy.. I started with a 30 rounds with 3 different loads to try in the Glock.. each load was 0.2 grs different.. I took the 10 rounds of each weight and fired them thought the weapon and when I found the load that worked the action and gave me the accuracy that I wanted I ended up with my load recipe for the Glock.. not knowing what the spring weight are in your Sig I can't give you the exact load for your pistol.. I don't know if it will help you.. I am in Ft Myers, FL and have taken the weather into consideration and shot them in the middle of the summer.. no issues..

nachogrande
09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
THANKS HARLEY. Like I said I'm not looking for anyone's secret recipe, just a few ball park figures until I can back it up with manuals, &/or other posters that are in agreement. I appreciate your response, ltr-rtl, be safe.