PDA

View Full Version : taurus pt92 with pt101 upper help

fivel_976
09-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I have a pt92 and want to know if any one knows if the pt101 upper will fit on my frame

tazman
09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
The short answer is yes it will.
The longer answer is it may take some fitting to make it work. Due to tolerances, not all pt101 slides will be a drop in fit on your pt92. It may require a gunsmith to do final fitting.
If the 101 slide isn't a drop in fit, you may have issues getting both to work on the same frame without some serious fitting problems. Any adjustments will need to be made to the slide or the original slide would no longer fit properly.
I am trying to do the same thing. I would like to have one frame with two or three calibers. My research show there may even be a 357 sig barrel that will drop in on the 101 slide. Not sure about that last though.
I did get a pt99 slide with adjustable sights to go on my pt92 as a drop in fit. Works great.
I also got a Beretta M9 barrel that fit as a drop in. It shoots cast much better than the Taurus barrel. The Beretta barrel has wider and deeper rifling than the Taurus which grips the cast boolit better.

fivel_976
09-14-2014, 05:24 PM
thanks for the info

fivel_976
09-22-2014, 11:40 AM
As an update I got my pt 101 parts kit in the mail today every thing fits nice also the 40 Cal mags will hold 9mm and the 9mm mag holds 40s not bad for 200 bucks

tazman
09-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a winner to me.

TCLouis
09-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Tell me how happy you were with the PT92 in 9mm.
I am considering that very purchase.

fivel_976
09-23-2014, 07:05 AM
I love my pt 92 as its really the only handgun I like I haven't got to try a Beretta so I don't know how it shoots over the pt. I have broke it within the first but Taurus fixed it probly my fault heavy loads. If I hadn't traded the pawn shop 6500 22's for mine I would a wated for the ss with gold parts as I really really want the gold parts. But overall really great gun

tazman
09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Tell me how happy you were with the PT92 in 9mm.
I am considering that very purchase.

After about 5000 rounds through my pt92, I can say the pistol is excellent. Early on I swapped out the barrel for a Beretta barrel(a drop in replacement) to get better groups with cast boolits.
The rifling in the Taurus barrel aren't as tall or wide as the ones in the Beretta barrel so the new barrel grips the boolits better.
The action and trigger pull have continued to get smoother as time goes on. No failures to feed or eject in the last 1000 rounds since I went to a taper crimp as a step after seating. I no longer seat and crimp at the same time.
I installed a stronger recoil spring(16lb) recently (maybe 500 rounds ago)and it improved the lockup a bit and tightened my groups slightly. It has not effected feeding or ejection that I can tell.
No other changes to the pistol except through usage and wearing in.
I would trust it completely in a fire fight or defensive situation.
I like it so much I bought a second one and set it up like the first one. I have some shooting to do before it gets as smooth as the first one but it is getting there.

fivel_976
09-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Where do you get your bretta barrels from and is the price on em

tazman
09-23-2014, 12:02 PM
I got them off eBay from $80 to $100. The cheaper one is an m9 barrel. The more expensive one was a regular 92 barrel. Both worked beautifully. The 92 barrel would not drop into one of the slides but did the other. The m9 barrel would drop into either slide. Both barrels shoot the same size groups.

Combat Diver
09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
My FIL had a PT99 and I dropped in a M9 barrel to check and fire, worked fine. Modified couple of M9 magazines for him too. You have to open up the mag catch opening slightly to have them catch the mag release.

CD

tazman
09-23-2014, 02:15 PM
I have done the trick to use Beretta mags in the Taurus. Works fine. They are mostly what I use. The fun part is you only need to open one of the slots for it to work.

fivel_976
09-24-2014, 12:21 AM
I'll have to look into a m9 barrel cuz mine shoots cast all over the place wonder how the 101 barrel is gunna do with cast not sure if I can get a 40 Beretta barrel

tazman
09-24-2014, 09:00 AM
I'll have to look into a m9 barrel cuz mine shoots cast all over the place wonder how the 101 barrel is gunna do with cast not sure if I can get a 40 Beretta barrel

That was my only concern about the 101 conversion. Please let me know how the 40 cal handles cast for you.

fivel_976
10-02-2014, 07:02 AM
Might be spring time when I know as I don't have a 40 mold die set or sizer yet. Iv shot some tulammo brass Max through it works vary nice

TCLouis
10-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Limited testing, 20 fire polish (not firelap) shots and 60 356402s and the PT92 I was shooting yesterday seemed to be doing pretty well at 50. I am not a great pistolero so may be happy with shooting that would not be acceptable to others.

How much improvement did the Beretta 92/M9 barrel give you?
Was the improvement worth the 80-100 bucks?

I tried to buy 2 Beretta mags with this when I ordered it from CDNN and all the guy could do was tell me that they would not fit.
I told him they would be modified to fit. Finally gave up.

Now I have to order some mags from somewhere.

Maybe I am just lucky but I test fired a Taurus TCP with the 356402, Lee 380 boolit, 95 grain Sierra and 115 bulk HP and all loaded, fired and functioned perfectly unlike the claim so many folks make for their experience with the brand.

Heck even my 3" 431 44 SPL is a shooter and one of my favorite pistolas. It must of had a trigger job in the life it lead before I snagged it because it is smooth as silk and goes off with no creep. Some would chastise for it, but half-an-hour with a Scotchbrite pad removed that highly polished SS surface and gave me a decent brushed SS look. Needs some finesse to finish the look, but that goes in the roundtoit box to do LATER.

I would guess that of the rounds I fire in a year, rifle and pistol, over 95% are loaded with cast Boolits.

tazman
10-03-2014, 07:58 AM
The Beretta barrels cut my cast boolit group size in half. Not much different for jacketed. For me it was very much worth it since I shoot cast 95 percent of the time.
My pistols feed and shoot well with anything except SWC boolits. I could probably work out something for those as well but so many others work so well that isn't worth the effort.
I have been using modified Beretta magazines in my Taurus since I got the pistol. They work fine.
I have a couple of extra Beretta m9 magazines I could turn loose of if you need some. If interested, pm me.

fivel_976
10-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Would the m9 barrel help if I'm powder coating my bullets

tazman
10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Personally, I believe so but I have no proof to go by. I don't think pc grips the rifling any better than uncoated cast but I haven't tested that theory.

tazman
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Well after all this talk, I picked up a pt101 upper for my pt92. I just got back from the range a little while ago and I must say I am impressed. I really wasn't expecting to be.
First off, I got a bunch of extra parts with the upper which was a good thing. I needed to change the slide catch lever because the 40 cal slide is slightly thicker than the 9mm. The fun part is the 40 slide catch works for both slides so I only needed to change it once.
The barrel miked at .3995 so the .401 sizer I got worked fine. I got a Lee 401-175-tc 6 cavity mold which drops boolits at .403 and 180 grains, no problems there.
I cast up a bunch of them and tumble lubed half and powder coated half with some of Smokes wonderful powder. I loaded them over 6.5 grains of sr4756( I did a ladder set but this is where they shot best).
I had 4 different loads with me. New Winchester 180FMJ, Winchester 165FMJ bulk box, and my own 2 boolits.
It took me a bit to get used to the increased recoil and blast but after a couple of magazines I got back in my groove.
The FMJ loads both grouped as well as I do with my 9mm. The Lee boolits that I tumble lubed did a little bit better. The Lee boolits that I PC'D did a little better yet. At the end of the day I was shooting 3 inch groups at about 45 feet which is all the better I do with the 9mm.
I put nearly 200 rounds through it today with no failures of any kind and no leading.
This pistol throws brass a long way. It was coming out the right side, bouncing off the wall next to me, ricocheting off the glass 8 feet behind me and ending up on the floor 10 feet down the hall. I think I need to get a heavier recoil spring for the beast.
All in all I am very pleased with the way this turned out. Being able to change from 9mm to 40cal and back in just a few seconds is really sweet. All my 9mm magazines work for the 40(I tried then to be sure). Even the Beretta magazines I had modified to use with the Taurus.
tazman

Combat Diver
10-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Nice report and glad its working for you, have fun!

CD

tazman
10-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Nice report and glad its working for you, have fun!

CD

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for your service.

fivel_976
10-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Super happy this worked out for you tazman. It does throw the 40 brass aways hope this thread stays here as I looked on the net and even called Taurus with no help on if this could be done or not. Nit sure how many other people ever thought about doing this but hope it helps others out

tazman
10-31-2014, 08:57 PM
This week I found a brand new ported EFK fire dragon barrel in 40S&W on eBay for cheap and installed it in my pistol. It took some careful work fitting it as it would not drop in. Not too bad. It was just a matter of finding where the binding was and slowly removing it until the barrel fit properly.
I took it to the range tonight to see how it shot and I was pleasantly surprised.
First was the significantly reduced recoil. The 40 now recoils like a 9mm. Fast follow up shots are much easier and faster. I didn't notice any increase in flash.
Second, the accuracy noticeably improved. Not so much total group size as more of the shots clustered in the center. At 15 yards I was getting a 3 inch group offhand(which is normal for me) but 80% of the shots were in a 1.5 inch group in the center instead of being evenly spread over the entire 3 inches. Basically a 1.5 inch 16 shot group with 4 outliers. This with Lee 401-175-tc boolits and 6.5 grains of sr4756. I was using both tumble lubed and powder coated with no noticeable difference in accuracy.
Function was good but not perfect. I think I may have a guidance problem with my magazine. When I got a failure it was jammed on the feed ramp on the left side as if it didn't line up properly. I tried a different magazine and had no problems with it but I didn't shoot it long after that. I will try adjusting the mag later.
All in all a very productive afternoon.