PDA

View Full Version : One Ragged Hole sight & Ruger SBH

Junior1942
09-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Guys, the One Ragged Hole sight did the trick for me. Before, the front sight and rear sight were a blur without using reading glasses. Now, without glasses, I can easily distinguish the front sight inside the rear aperture circle. Two apertures came with it, 7/32" & 9/32", but I think I'll leave the 7/32" on for both groups and hunting. The good news for me is, I can hunt with the pistol again!

The sight was cheaper at www.oneraggedhole.com than at Brownells. It was $24.95 shipping included.

Installation was easy. No problem with the re-zero, either.

Four Fingers of Death
09-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Linda looks strange, but kinda looks good all at once! Mick.

Bass Ackward
09-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Guys, the One Ragged Hole sight did the trick for me. Before, the front sight and rear sight were a blur without using reading glasses. Now, without glasses, I can easily distinguish the front sight inside the rear aperture circle. Two apertures came with it, 7/32" & 9/32", but I think I'll leave the 7/32" on for both groups and hunting. The good news for me is, I can hunt with the pistol again!

The sight was cheaper at www.oneraggedhole.com than at Brownells. It was $24.95 shipping included.

Installation was easy. No problem with the re-zero, either.

Junior,

I figured that the peep might help. And I used the smaller one also. I would bet that many guys that says their eyes won't focus anymore, simply don't see enough light. These sights will allow that. Then you are only faced with whether or not you can shoot the peep and that is an individual situation. While my target work loses the term precision, that peep makes a great pop can roller and hunting sight out to 100 yards. IMO.

Junior1942
09-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Bass, the One Ragged Hole peep is the thang for 60+ eyes and iron sights on a SBH pistol. I was worried about the elevation, but near as I can tell it turned out the same as the factory rear blade. That means big ol' slow movin' bullets shoot high. However, I remedied that with J & B Weld. Check out the "after" photo. I'll soon post an article on www.castbullet.com about the new front sight addition.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/44jb05.jpg

44man
09-20-2005, 08:36 AM
JR, have you gone out in the early AM or in the evening to see if you can pick up deer in the woods?
I have tried peep sights on my BPCR and muzzle loaders many times and just can't find deer through them with both eyes open. There is just not enough light until the sun gets higher. I even have some pistol scopes that can't be seen through at daybreak.
I am curious how this sight will work for you. It looks like a good idea but I would not buy one until someone says it can be seen through under hunting conditions. Keep us posted.

Bass Ackward
09-20-2005, 09:24 AM
JR, have you gone out in the early AM or in the evening to see if you can pick up deer in the woods?
I have tried peep sights on my BPCR and muzzle loaders many times and just can't find deer through them with both eyes open. There is just not enough light until the sun gets higher. I even have some pistol scopes that can't be seen through at daybreak.
I am curious how this sight will work for you. It looks like a good idea but I would not buy one until someone says it can be seen through under hunting conditions. Keep us posted.

Junior,

Good thinking. And yes, my experience changing the sights was that POI was the same "height" as the factory blade. Only my windage needed adjusted.

I do test at early hours quite often now that I have a chance. (I feed deer every morning.) And here's the key, "If you can see a spot on the deer with your naked eye, then these sights work". Do you lose some time compared to a scope? Heck yes. But we are talking minutes unless we include silouette periods. But I don't shoot at sillouettes myself. I want to see color.

Junior1942
09-20-2005, 09:39 AM
44man, I'm betting you were using a peep with a too-small aperture. On my rifles, I use a .150" diameter peep for hunting, and it's easy to find something in the woods at dawn and dusk with it. The 7/32" One Ragged Hole aperture is .218" in diameter. Even though it's out at arm's reach, it's easy to see something in the woods with it.

Send me a 6" x 9" clasp SASE and I'll send you my extra 7/32" aperture and the instructions that came with it. If you like it, keep it and return my instructions and your 7/32" aperture when you order a set.

Junior Doughty
190 Major Doughty Road
Tullos, Lousiana 71479

44man
09-20-2005, 04:35 PM
JR, thanks for the offer. I have a red dot now and can see it great. Took off the durn Tasco. The Swift scope I tried on it was real bright but I blew it up before getting it sighted. They replaced it and I put it on my .22 so I don't break it again.