PDA

View Full Version : My pot arrived today

bigarm
09-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I ordered a Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot and it came today. Now I am waiting on lead and molds. The molds may take 4 weeks. That will be a long wait.

el34
09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Plenty of time to marry it to a PID controller!
Or be sure to have a thermometer and check it often. There is no such thing as the "good" setting on the Lee knob. You'll be changing it often.

Lumpy grits
09-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Only in this forum, would I expect to see a title like that one--------:kidding:

bigarm
09-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes, it only costs money!

Plenty of time to marry it to a PID controller!
Or be sure to have a thermometer and check it often. There is no such thing as the "good" setting on the Lee knob. You'll be changing it often.

el34
09-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Yes, it only costs money!
Yep. But check Yodog's post-

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?253081-PID-arrived-today-with-other-components-for-casting-controler&p=2926727&viewfull=1#post2926727

Handloader109
09-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Dang, what mold?

bigarm
09-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Very interesting and I am sure it would really help me, but being a idiot with technical stuff, how can I find out how to build it safely and at a reasonable cost. If that is possible, I am all in. Being newly retired I have more time than money and am finding that I am enjoying doing projects that I never would have enjoyed before.

Yep. But check Yodog's post-

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?253081-PID-arrived-today-with-other-components-for-casting-controler&p=2926727&viewfull=1#post2926727

el34
09-10-2014, 11:04 PM
The molds may take 4 weeks. That will be a long wait.

What's up with that? Did you order a mold yet?

I (and possible several members) will get back to you later about PID. Building one isn't anything to fear.

bigarm
09-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Yes, I ordered molds for 45 acp and 40 s & w. My wife and I shoot USPSA and 3 gun, so I wanted molds to match the bullets we shoot in competition. We shoot coated bullets, so I ordered molds made without lube rings and sized so that I can powder coat them and have them the size I wanted. I ordered from Hardline Industries and the guy said 4 weeks, but they were going to make some molds this week so it could be sooner.

And I would love to have help with the PID. So far this forum has been great for me. I have gotten a lot of information and I even got to visit Bullshop and have him teach my wife and I how to cast. What a great time that was. Don't get that kind of help just anywhere.

What's up with that? Did you order a mold yet?

I (and possible several members) will get back to you later about PID. Building one isn't anything to fear.

el34
09-10-2014, 11:34 PM
I assume you're still dizzy from what you've already got going and might not be ready to get into the PID thing. What it'll consist of, just for perspective-

PID controller
Type K thermocouple with 4" stainless probe, and stainless shielded cable
SolidStateRelay (SSR), 25 or 40 amp

A box to put it in, line cord, on/off switch probably, wire, not much else. Ebay is actually pretty good for the main three and you can usually find all 3 pieces for 1 price.

A friend of mine built one in a USPS flatrate shipping box!

PM coming.

dikman
09-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Bigarm, there's lots (!) of reading on here about PIDs. It may seem overwhelming at first, but spend some time reading about them so that you become familiar with the concept and construction. As el said, there's not really much in them, and depending where you source the bits it needn't cost you much to get a basic one working.

A very useful addition to a Lee pot.

bigarm
09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Well el34 is helping me out and I have ordered some of the things needed. My wife and I are going to the big town, Missoula (population about 60,000) this weekend for a USPSA match and will look for the other things needed there.